Find out more about Alice's Walford connections and play quizzes and games in our family tree.
Goodness isn’t a word you’d associate with Derek Branning… unless you were talking about his daughter Alice.
|Fact title||Fact data|
|First appearance:||10th May 2012|
|Address:||23 Albert Square|
With a father like Derek you’d expect Alice Branning to have the mind of a master criminal, the emotional warmth of a reptile and the laidback nature of a fighting dog. But really she’s quite the opposite. She brings out the best in people.
If Alice were to describe herself she’d probably choose the word ‘average’ – average looks, average intelligence. But Alice undersells herself. She’s funny and resourceful and though she might seem like a pushover, she can stand up for herself when she needs to. Plus, there’s nothing average about the family she comes from.
Her father’s name was dirt while she was growing up with her over-protective mother and older brother Joey. But Alice was curious about him and wanted to know more, and ever the optimist, gave Derek second, third and even fourth chances to prove himself a good father. Out of all the Brannings, Alice seemed to be the only person to truly care for Derek, and his untimely death has affected her badly.
Michael took Alice under his slightly socially awkward wing and gave her a job as baby sitter to his daughter Scarlett... and Alice developed a massive crush on Michael in the process. Michael managed to manipulate his No.1 fan into sneaking in daddy/daughter meetings in her new role as Janine's nanny... but the stress of this cloak and dagger behaviour became too much for Alice who blurted out the truth to Janine. Realising that she had been well and truly had, a furious Janine fled The Square again, promising Michael that he will never be part of his daughters life.
While Michael was initially furious at Alice, his feelings seemed to make a quick turn around as he ended up bedding the besotted girl. Obviously, this was just another masterstroke in manipulation from Michael, and Alice was heartbroken when she realised that she had been used... however, she doesn't hold grudges, and is keen to help Michael again now that Janine has decided to return!
It was time for Alice to meet a nice, simple guy, her own age... Poppy and Fatboy seemed to think so, and put all their efforts into getting Alice and Tamwar together... Happily, a spark ignited between the pair, and they began dating.
After a nervous date, which saw Alice passing out drunk at Tamwar’s, things turned complicated when Michael got involved… again. This time though, it seems as if Michael has crossed the line, when Alice discovered that he was deleting Tamwar’s messages from her phone. Returning back to Tamwar with open arms, is she just trying to make a manipulating Michael jealous?
It seems not! After finally doing the ‘deed’ with Tamwar, Alice was unsure whether she and Tamwar were compatible, but after a girl to girl talk with Poppy, things seemed to be back on track for the both of them! But when Michael came calling, Alice came running, and the two ended up passionately kissing. Eager to prove her allegiance to Michael, Alice staged a fake argument in the middle of the Square, pretending to be on Janine’s side. With Janine now trusting her again, Alice was one step closer to achieving her dream of having both Michael and Scarlett and being a family. But when Alice realised Michael was planning on getting her to kill Janine, she soon got cold feet - much to the annoyance of Michael, who proceeded to fling insults at her. In return, Alice flung her knee to his groin and fled. However, she returned the next day, willing to do the deadly deed. So on Halloween, she nervously went to Janine’s to carry out the plan. When she was reunited with Michael at their house, he found her distraught with blood on her hands! It soon transpired that Alice had been secretly plotting with Janine to get Michael arrested. But the battle became too much for Alice and both Janine and Michael tried to bring her onto their side. The next moments changed the course of their lives forever; Michael had Janine by the throat, so a desperate Alice stabbed him and he fell to the ground. But when Janine lied to the police about what had happened, Alice found herself behind bars, charged with Michael's murder...
- Jasmyn has previously appeared in an episode of the series Little Crackers, written by Jo Brand.
- She's also been in Doctors, Life of Riley with Caroline Quentin, and CBBC's Sadie J.
- Jasmyn's a big EastEnders fan. Amongst her favourite characters are Bianca, Dot, Phil and Derek.
- She's loved working with her on-screen father Jamie Foreman - "It's been incredible, amazing. He's taught me loads. I always know it's going to be a good day when I'm filming with Jamie."
- When new members of cast join the show they get a mentor to help them settle in. Jasmyn's is Jake Wood (Max Branning).
- Jasmyn enjoys keeping fit. She loves yoga and running and has taught Zumba. But she has yet to try Walford keep-fit favourite, Kimba.
- Music-wise she likes a mixed bag - from Beyonce, Rihanna and Adele through to Lykke Li and Bon Iver.
Follow Jasmyn on twitter: @JasmynBanks_
- Abi Branning Played by Lorna Fitzgerald
- Alice Branning Played by Jasmyn Banks
- Carol Jackson Played by Lindsey Coulson
- Cora Cross Played by Ann Mitchell
- Dot Branning Played by June Brown
- Joey Branning Played by David Witts
- Kirsty Branning Played by Kierston Wareing
- Lauren Branning Played by Jacqueline Jossa
- Max Branning Played by Jake Wood