Terms & Conditions
Entering the BBC New Comedy Award 2018? You need to read these first...
The BBC New Comedy Award is a talent search organised by BBC Studios Comedy to find the next generation of comedy (including stand-up, sketch, musical and character comedy) stars.
1. The talent search is open to any person aged 18 or over as at 9 April 2018.
2. Applicants for the talent search must meet the following criteria:
i) you must not have been performing regularly on the circuit for more than five years; and
ii) To enter, you must have at least five minutes of un-broadcast material; and
iii) you must not have used this material on radio or television; and
iv) you must demonstrate an appreciation of comedy and a serious commitment to developing as a comedian; and
v) You must not have been a FINALIST in the BBC New Comedy Award 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017.
3. All applicants for the talent search must be a resident and permitted to work in the United Kingdom for at least the period 9 April 2017 – 31 October 2018.
4. Employees of the BBC and/or its subsidiaries are not permitted to enter the talent search.
5. The BBC reserves the rights to refuse any application for the talent search at its sole discretion and is not required to give any reason for such refusal and shall have no liability for any loss arising from such refusal.
6. All applicants for the talent search must complete a web application form at www.bbc.co.uk/newcomedyaward.
7. To enter the BBC Radio New Comedy Award 2018, all applicants need to fill in a form hosted on the BBC NCA website www.bbc.co.uk/newcomedyaward and upload a five minute piece of their own original audio that has not been broadcasted. If applicants have any issues using the online application with built in uploader, they can email the file directly to email@example.com . Recordings of routines longer than five minutes will be disqualified.
Applications open on Monday 9 April 2018 and close again on Thursday 3 May 2018. Please contact us if you have special requirements for delivery by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 08000 156 775 (calls are free from landlines and mobiles).
8. All applications with accompanying audio must be received by 23.59 on Thursday 3 May 2018. Applications received after the closing date will not be considered. The BBC reserves the right to extend the closing date as it may deem necessary.
9. Only one application per person will be accepted. The first valid submission will be accepted. Any subsequent submissions will be disqualified.
10. In order to ensure that the BBC New Comedy Award is open to a wide range of potential comedians the BBC may, at its sole discretion, actively approach potential applicants and invite them to apply.
11. You will receive an email notification to acknowledge receipt of your application form. Due to the anticipated volume of applications, extended feedback will not be possible for each applicant.
12. All eligible applications will be assessed by BBC Studios Comedy and successful applicants will be notified in the fortnight commencing 5 June 2018.
13. The BBC reserves the right to notify applicants of further BBC New Comedy Award terms and conditions during the assessment process.
15. The BBC will invite successful applicants for the talent search to the heats to perform five minutes maximum of original material to a judging panel and live audience.
16. The heats will be judged on:
i) originality of material; and
ii) quality of writing; and
iii) performance and delivery; and
iv) audience engagement.
17. The winner of each heat will receive a place in the semi-final.
18. Heats will take place between Monday 18 June 2018 and Tuesday 17 July 2018 at venues in London, Manchester and Cardiff. There will be 10 places available at each venue, and five heats overall.
19. The winner of each heat will go through to the semi-final.
20. A minimum of one runner-up will be chosen by the judges from each heat. At the end of all the heats the judges will choose their favourite runners-up to go straight through to the semi-finals.
21. Highlights from each of the heats will be broadcast on BBC Radio 4 Extra.
22. Each contender will be required to perform five minutes maximum of original material which the BBC will edit, at its sole discretion, for broadcast purposes.
23. The BBC will endeavour but does not guarantee to offer successful applicants the opportunity to participate in a heat at the venue nearest to them.
24. Attendance at the heats and semi-finals is solely at applicants own cost and risk. The BBC will not reimburse travel expenses incurred to attend any heat or semi-finals.
25. Successful runners up from the heats will be notified on or after Monday 23 July 2018. A minimum of two runner ups across all heats will go through to each semi-final.
226. The semi-finals will be recorded on Saturday 4 August 2018 and broadcast as two programmes with five contenders in each programme.
27. Each contender will be required to perform seven minutes maximum of original material which the BBC will edit, at its sole discretion, for broadcast purposes.
28. The judging panel at the semi-finals will choose a minimum of two acts from each semi-final who will go forward to the final.
29. The final will be broadcast live on Sunday 12 August 2018.
30. The final will contain a minimum of five finalists, who will each perform up to six minutes of material.
31. Once all entrants have performed, the judging panel will decide the winner.
32. The winner of the BBC Radio New Comedy Award will receive £1,000 and a 15 minute script commission. All five finalists will be offered development support from BBC Studios Comedy with the opportunity to present to networks across the BBC to consider for broadcast, as well as development advice and guidance from the BBC Comedy department and a chance to appear in other slots across the BBC.
33. The BBC reserves the right to alter and/or withdraw the prize at any time for one of equal or greater value.
34. The BBC reserves the right to use the audio/visual material submitted and from each stage of the talent search in any of its output, whether published online, broadcast of television or radio, or used on red button services.
35. By entering the BBC New Comedy Award each applicant warrants that:
i) his/her material is wholly original and does not infringe the rights of any other person or parties;
ii) no material submitted or performed will be defamatory or obscene or likely to bring the BBC into disrepute; and
iii) all material submitted or performed will be suitable for broadcast on BBC Radio 4 Extra, BBC Radio 4 and BBC Online.
36. The BBC reserves the right to reject any entry which is illegible, inaudible, arrives after the closing date, is submitted by an ineligible applicant or for any other reason at its sole discretion.
37. All applicants agree to undertake all reasonable press and publicity as may be required by the BBC including, without limitation, radio and video interviews.
38. All applications become the property of the BBC except rights in and to the original comedy material. All applicants grant the BBC a royalty-free licence to use any material submitted and /or performed by them in any media throughout the Universe for the purposes of the BBC New Comedy Awards and to use information supplied by each applicant.
39. All information asked for by the BBC will be collected and compiled by the BBC for the sole purpose of administering the BBC New Comedy Awards. The BBC will not transfer your details to any third party without contacting you first.
40. The decisions of the judges and the BBC are final and no correspondence or discussion will be entered into.
41. The BBC reserves the right to alter and/or cancel the BBC New Comedy Award or any element of the BBC New Comedy Award at its sole discretion and shall have no liability for any loss arising.