Relaxed Concert with BBC National Orchestra of Wales
What is a Relaxed Concert?
It’s a live performance experience that’s particularly suitable for children and adults with autism, sensory and communication impairments and learning disabilities, as well as individuals who are Deaf, hard of hearing, blind and partially sighted.
Who’s it for?
The friendly and welcoming environment means it’s for everyone!
What’s the format of the concert?
The concert will be presented in English by our conductor Grant Llewellyn, and musician Andy Pidcock, in a fun and interactive way. The Orchestra will play popular classics and music you’ll recognise from TV and film, such as ‘Happy’ from Despicable Me 2; the Doctor Who theme; and music by Rossini and Rimsky-Korsakov.
What adjustments are made?
- A relaxed attitude to movement and noise in the auditorium – you can move about, sing, dance or just watch.
- ‘Chill out’ spaces available outside the auditorium.
- Picture communication systems projected on large screens.
- British Sign Language interpretation.
- Audio Description.
How long is the concert?
The concert will last around 1 hour – there isn’t an interval.
What music will be played?
- Pidcock, arr. Glyn Hello
- Rossini William Tell: Overture
- School performance featuring pupils from Ty Coch School
- Tchaikovsky The Nutcracker: Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy
- Strauss Blue Danube (abridged)
- Pidcock, arr. Glyn Andy's Waltz
- Brahms Hungarian Dance, No.6
- Pharrell Williams Despicable Me 2: Happy
- Pidcock, arr. Glyn AEIOU and La, La, La
- Grainer, arr. Gold Doctor Who Main Theme
- Pidcock, arr. Glyn Thank you very much
- Quincy Jones, arr. Dennis Burton Soul Bossanova
What resources are available before the performance?
People with tickets will receive the following by post before the concert:
- Visual Story
- Parent Information Pack
How much are tickets?
Full price tickets are £14, but you can bring the whole family for as little as £15.
- Family Tickets: from £15*
- Student Tickets / Young People: £5
- Over 65s: 10% off
- Hynt companion: complimentary ticket
- Wheelchair users and their companions: £10 each
*A Family Ticket for 2 adults plus 1-4 children costs just £20 total, a Family Ticket for 1 adult and 1-2 children costs just £15 total.
How do I book tickets?
- Visit the St David’s Hall Box Office on the ground floor (St David’s Hall, The Hayes, Cardiff, CF10 1AH).
- Book directly from the Orchestra by calling our dedicated Audience Line on 0800 052 1812 (Mon-Fri).
- Book through St David’s Hall on 02920 878 444 - please note that St David’s Hall charges £1 per order if you choose to have your tickets posted.
- Book through St David’s Hall via stdavidshallcardiff.co.uk - please note that St David’s Hall charges £1 per order if you choose to have your tickets posted.
Using the Next Generation Text Service:
- Use the Next Generation Text Service via your smartphone, tablet, computer or telephone – find out more on their website or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Who can I contact for more information?
- Call the Audience Line on 0800 052 1812
- Call St David’s Hall on 02920 878 444
- Email email@example.com
- Visit the St David’s Hall Box Office on the ground floor (St David’s Hall, The Hayes, Cardiff, CF10 1AH)
- Send us a Facebook Message: facebook.com/bbcnationalorchestraofwales
- Tweet us @bbcnow
- Write to Audience Line, BBC National Orchestra of Wales, BBC Hoddinott Hall, Cardiff Bay, CF10 5AL