Cook The Perfect...Chilli Con Carne
Henry Dimbleby cooks the perfect School Dinner: Chilli Con Carne
Chilli Con Carne
This is a Chilli Con Carne for children and school cooks. It has lots of veg and no chilli - those with spicier palates can add some on the side. It is also super simple to make.
Serves 6 - 8
2 sticks of celery
4 cloves garlic
3 tablespoons rapeseed oil
600g minced beef
3 bay leaves
2 teaspoons oregano
2 teaspoons ground cumin
6 tablespoons tomato puree
3 x 400g tins tomatoes
100ml malt vinegar
4 teaspoons smoked sweet paprika
3 x 400g tins of drained kidney beans
Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
1. Blitz the celery, onion, garlic and carrot in a blender until they are very finely chopped
2. Heat the oil and brown the meat in the pan
3. Remove the meat and fry the vegetables until soft, then add the garlic and fry for another 3 mins
4. Add the meat, bay leaves, oregano and cumin and stir for a minute
5. Add the tomato puree and tinned tomatoes and simmer for 5 mins
6. Mix the paprika and vinegar, add this to the pan along with the water.
7. Simmer for 1/ ½ to 2 hours, adding more water if neccesary.
8. 30 mins before the end add the drained kidney beans
9. Season and serve
Browse previous recipes
Looking to make a perfect paella or a superlative treacle tart?