Facts and Figures
Castaways' Top Tracks
When we looked for the most popular track choices between 1942 to 2011, we made the decision to consider symphonies as one track choice and not to treat individual movements as separate tracks. With sung works like operas and The Messiah we decided to consider arias individually, a bit like tracks on an album. This is partly because castaways will often nominate a whole symphony as a track without specifying a movement eg Brahms Symphony No 1, but when they choose an opera they will usually pick a named aria e.g. "Nessun Dorma".
- Beethoven - Symphony No 9 in D minor 'Choral'
- Rachmaninoff - Piano Concerto No 2 in C minor
- Schubert - String Quintet in C major
- Beethoven Symphony No 6 in F Major 'Pastoral'
- Elgar - Pomp & Circumstance March no 1 in D Major 'Land of Hope and Glory'
- Beethoven - Piano Concerto No 5 in E Flat Major 'Emperor'
- Elgar - Enigma Variations Nimrod
- Beethoven - Symphony No 7 in A major
Castaways' Top Artists
The eight most-requested artists on Desert Island Discs from 1942 to 2011.
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
- Ludwig van Beethoven
- Johann Sebastian Bach
- Franz Schubert
- Giuseppe Verdi
- Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
- Sir Edward Elgar
- Giacomo Puccini