Information and Support

If you, or someone you know, have been affected by the issues raised in this programme, the following organisations can help:

Down's Syndrome Association

The Down's Syndrome Association provides advice on best practice for supporting people with Down's syndrome at every stage of life. They have a comprehensive range of resources and targeted support services for people with Down's syndrome, their families, carers and the professionals who work with them. Call their helpline on 020 8614 5100 (Monday to Friday, 10.00am to 4.00pm) or email

Go to The Down's Syndrome Association site


Mencap works to support people with a learning disability, and their families and carers, by fighting to change laws and improve services and access to education, employment and leisure facilities. Mencap supports thousands of people with a learning disability to live their lives the way they want. They are also one of the largest providers of services, information and advice for people with a learning disability across England, Northern Ireland and Wales. People with a learning disability and their carers can find out more about Mencap's services by calling Mencap Direct on 0300 333 111 or by visiting them online.

Go to Mencap's site


Scope works with disabled people of all ages, and their families, across England and Wales. They offer practical, everyday support and deliver campaigns that can change lives. Their vision is a world where disabled people have the same opportunities as everyone else. Call the Scope Response line on 0808 800 3333 or email

Go to Scope's site

Action for Children

Action for Children works with the most vulnerable and neglected children and young people: those whose families need support, are in care, are disabled, or experience severe difficulties in their lives.

Go to Action for Children's site


BILD (The British Institute of Learning Disabilities) works to improve the lives of people with learning disabilities, and their family/carers. To do this their work focuses on human rights, positive behaviour support, developing the workforce that provides support, and working for greater community involvement. They can provide information about advocacy services, making sure that every person with a learning disability has their voice heard and listened to so that they have more control over their own life. Call BILD on 01562 723010 or email

Go to BILD's site

Foundation for People with Learning Disabilities

The Foundation for People with Learning Disabilities (FPLD) is part of the Mental Health Foundation. It is dedicated to reducing the stigma and discrimination faced by people with learning disabilities, and helping them live their lives to the full. The FPLD carries out development and research projects to influence Government policies and local authorities to better meet the needs of people with learning disabilities, their families and carers. The FPLD provides information and resources, and pilots innovative service models that can help people with learning disabilities lead full and independent lives.

Go to the FPLD's site


Dimensions supports people with learning disabilities and people with autism in England and Wales. Their aim is to enable people to be part of the community and make their own choices and decisions about their life. Their services include support for people living in their own homes or in shared housing, support for people to find and maintain suitable accommodation, a team of support advisors to help individuals and their families with a personal budget, transition support for young people leaving school or college and opportunities for learning, employment and participating in the community. For help and advice about support available in your area, please call 0300 373 3730 (Monday to Friday, 9.00am to 5.00pm) or email

Go to Dimensions' site


Advance is a charitable business providing housing, support and employment services to meet the needs of people in the community who have either a learning disability or a mental health problem. Call them on 01993 772885 or email Advance includes Advance Housing, one of the country’s leading providers of accommodation services for people with learning disabilities or mental health problems. They are able to provide many different housing solutions designed to suit the needs of individual people. Call Advance Housing on 01993 709221 or email: Advance also includes Advance Support, which provides flexible support for people with learning disabilities or mental health problems. They will support you where you want to be supported, when you want to be supported, to do what you want to do and with a person you have chosen. Call Advance Support on 01993 700331 or email

Go to Advance's site

Go to Advance Housing's site

Go to Advance Support's site

Housing Options

Housing Options is an independent advice and information service for people with learning disabilities. Their aim is to assist people with learning disabilities achieve greater control over aspects of their life and to provide more housing and support choices - more options for individuals, parents, social services and care agencies. Housing Options exists to help people obtain the best option for their circumstances, which includes independent supported living and home ownership for people with learning disabilities. It does this by providing practical help, advice and information. It can be a gateway to accessing different types of social housing. Call the Housing Options Advice Line on 0845 4561497 or email

Go to the Housing Options site

Where Next Association

The Where Next Association provides supported employment, work experience and training to people disadvantaged by learning disabilities and/or other special needs, in Redditch and Bromsgrove in Worcestershire and Studley in Warwickshire. Call 01527 69955 for enquiries about Where Next placements.

Go to the Where Next Association site

Turning Point

Turning Point is a social care organisation that provides services for people with complex needs, including those with a learning disability.

Go to Turning Point's site Moving into adulthood

A guide highlighting the major life changes that you may experience as a disabled teenager - including choices in education, health and independent living.

Go to's Moving Into Adulthood site

Disability Law Service

The Disability Law Service provides telephone or written community care law advice. This is free to disabled people, their family and carers, by appointment. DLS is able to provide advice in Disability Discrimination as it relates to Employment and Goods and Services, and Social Welfare Law as it relates to Community Care and Welfare Benefits. Call them on 020 7791 9800 or email:

Go to the Disability Law Service site


bibic is a national charity offering practical help to families caring for children with conditions like autism, cerebral palsy, Down’s syndrome, developmental delay, brain injury, and specific learning difficulties like ADHD, dyslexia and dyspraxia. They specialise in understanding the causes of challenging behaviour and can even offer support if your child has not been diagnosed with a condition. Call them on 01278 684060 or email

Go to bibic's site

Contact a Family

Contact a Family is a UK-wide charity providing support, advice and information to families with disabled children, no matter what their disability or health condition. They can also put families in contact with others whose child has the same condition. Call their helpline on 0808 808 3555.

Go to Contact a Family's site