Adrian Van Klaveren appointed Controller, BBC Radio 5 Live and BBC 5 Live Sports Extra
Adrian Van Klaveren has been appointed Controller of BBC Radio 5 Live and BBC 5 Live Sports Extra. He will start his new role on 21 April 2008.
He is currently Deputy Director of News and Controller of News Production where he leads on a range of key editorial projects and deputises for the BBC Director of News, Helen Boaden.
Previously Adrian was Head of BBC Newsgathering and before that he was Head of Local Programmes for BBC West Midlands based in Birmingham, responsible for the output of BBC regional television from Birmingham and five local radio stations.
In his current role Adrian has led the BBC News strategy on developing new services, including news on demand and the increasing use of user generated content.
Adrian Van Klaveren says: "Getting the chance to run my favourite radio station is my dream job. Radio 5 Live has a unique tone and character and a very special relationship with its audience. I want to build on that passion for sport and commitment to live news. I'm really excited about leading the station to its new home in Salford."
Jenny Abramsky, Director of BBC Audio & Music, says: "I am thrilled that Adrian is to become Controller of 5 Live. Adrian is a passionate listener to and supporter of 5 Live and the right person to take the station forward to its new and exciting future in Salford.
"He has been a terrific editorial leader in BBC News, affecting change across the whole division. He understands how important 5 Live is for BBC Radio and for BBC News and Sport. Under his leadership I have no doubt 5 Live and 5 Live Sports Extra will go from strength to strength."
Andy Parfitt, Controller of BBC Radio 1, 1Xtra BBC, and BBC Switch, the BBC's new teen content across TV, Radio and digital, will retain the controllership of BBC Asian Network which he has overseen since December.
Jenny Abramsky explains: "From audience perspective it makes sense that the Asian Network, which provides so much for young British Asians, sits with our other youth stations, Radio 1 and 1Xtra. Andy Parfitt has done an excellent job in looking after the Asian Network these past few months and I am sure that it will flourish under his controllership."
Andy Parfitt says: "I am looking forward to working with this very important part of the BBC Radio portfolio."
Notes to Editors
- Adrian Van Klaveren succeeds the former Controller, Bob Shennan, who left in December 2007. Adrian is the fourth Controller of 5 Live, other previous controllers being Jenny Abramsky and Roger Mosey.
- Radio 5 Live has an unrivalled portfolio of sports rights spanning FA Premier League, European and international football, rugby, cricket, tennis, horse racing and golf. In 2008 it will have unparalleled reporting and live commentaries from this year's European Football Championships and the Olympics in Beijing.
- Radio 5 Live with Sports Extra has 6.17 million listeners and has a 4.7% share of listening (Rajar Quarter 4 2007).
- BBC Asian Network is the national digital radio network offering speech, drama and the latest in new music for British Asians.
- The Asian Network remains based in Birmingham, Leicester and London.