Radio 1's Huw Stephens supports Kent Introducing tour for county's new bands
- Thursdays and Fridays from 7 March 2008
Champion of new music, BBC Radio 1's Huw Stephens, has given his support to the BBC Kent Introducing tour, which kicks off at Maidstone's The Loft on Thursday 7 March.
BBC Radio Kent's online music show BBC Kent Introducing aims to showcase the county's up-and-coming bands and musicians.
The online programme, available Wednesdays at bbc.co.uk/kent/introducing, is presented by Radio 1 producer Jim Bursey and fellow Kent boy Tom Kirkby and this spring they are going on tour to bring the best new music from across the region.
BBC Kent Introducing will be recording each of the tour's weekly gigs which take place in Chatham, Tunbridge Wells, Maidstone and Canterbury in March, April and May.
And viewers will be able to catch the highlights from the up-and-coming bands taking part on the online show the following week.
Huw said: "What BBC Kent is doing is absolutely fantastic and builds on all the BBC Introducing shows' support for the very best new and emerging music in their scene.
"The content on the radio and the tour takes more new music to new audiences; there will be some very special gigs in Kent in March!"
BBC Kent Introducing is part of BBC Introducing which was launched at last year's Glastonbury Festival.
BBC Introducing is all about bringing listeners the best brand new music from across the UK and giving new artists some great opportunities to be seen and heard and introduce them to a wider audience.
And Jim and the Kent Introducing team want your local bands to be part of it.
Jim added: "Kent bands have already had success thanks to BBC Introducing. Chatham's Brigadier Ambrose had a Maida Vale session and were up for Radcliffe and Maconie's record of the week on Radio 2.
"And It Hugs Back from Maidstone, who are on the first leg of the tour, have also been to Maida Vale and featured in last year's Bestival. So it does work.
"Kent has what it takes and this year is the biggest opportunity that we've had to get that message out there."
More information on how you can get involved can be found at bbc.co.uk/kent/introducing.
The BBC Kent Introducing tour dates are below. Check the BBC Kent Introducing website for updates on each gig's line-up. The March tour will kick off with:
- It Hugs Back (from Maidstone)
- Mr Basista (from Tunbridge Wells)
- Floors & Walls (from Thanet)
- AntiKid (from Erith)
- Friday 7 March – The Loft, Maidstone
- Thursday 13 March – University of Kent Rutherford Bar, Canterbury
- Thursday 20 March – The Forum, Tunbridge Wells
- Thursday 27 March – Tap N Tin, Chatham
- Friday 4 April – The Loft, Maidstone
- Thursday 10 April – University of Kent Rutherford Bar, Canterbury
- Thursday 17 April – The Forum, Tunbridge Wells
- Thursday 24 April – Tap N Tin, Chatham
- Fri 9 May – The Loft, Maidstone
- Thursday 15 May – University of Kent Rutherford Bar, Canterbury
- Thursday 22 May – The Forum, Tunbridge Wells
- Thursday 29 May – Tap N Tin, Chatham
BBC South Press Office