Tsunami, The Aftermath – a landmark drama on BBC Two – Part One on Tuesday 28 November at 9.00pm
Tim Roth, Toni Collette, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Sophie Okonedo, Hugh Bonneville, Gina McKee, Kate Ashfield, Samrit Machielsen and Will Yun Lee lead the cast in Tsunami, The Aftermath - a compelling two-part landmark drama for BBC Two of loss, survival and hope.
Based on extensive research and interviews, this fictional drama focuses on the aftermath of the tsunami in Thailand, as seen through the eyes of a group of characters whose lives are irrevocably transformed by the disaster:
- a British couple searching for their daughter;
- a Thai survivor who loses his family and tries to prevent developers from seizing the land his village is built on;
- an ambitious reporter;
- an overwhelmed British official whose faith in the system is torn apart;
- a mother fighting to get her injured son back to the UK;
- and a leading Thai seismologist, whose earlier report detailing the inevitability of a tsunami hitting the affected area was ignored.
It examines the lessons for humanity raised by an event of this magnitude, and forces us to ask how the response next time could be different.
Filmed on location in Thailand, Tsunami, The Aftermath was developed by the internationally-acclaimed Kudos and written by award-winning Abi Morgan (Bafta winner for Sex Traffic and Murder).
The director of photography is John de Borman (Hideous Kinky, The Fully Monty, Serendipity), production designer is Richard Bridgland (Wicker Park, Gangster No.1), composer is Alex Heffes (Last September) and film editor is Barney Pilling (Spooks, Life on Mars).
The executive producers are Jane Featherstone (Life on Mars, Hustle, Spooks, Amazing Mrs Pritchard) and Derek Wax (Sex Traffic, Flesh And Blood) for Kudos.
The producer is Finola Dwyer (Stoned, Hamburg Cell, Me Without You, Backbeat) and director is Bharat Nalluri (Life on Mars, Hustle, Spooks).