It's a clothes call as Thurman, Diaz and Kidman
narrowly miss out on Most Stylish Film Icon of all time.
Holly Golightly, the diamond-bedecked darling portrayed by Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast At Tiffany's, has pipped a clutch of 21st-century foxes to be crowned Most Stylish Film Icon of all time.
The poll of over 4,000 people was carried out by BBC What To Wear magazine (issue three on sale now) to coincide with the British Academy Film Awards , and the forthcoming Academy Awards on 27 February.
Whilst Golightly heads up the definitive list with over a third of the votes, most of the top spots are occupied by more recent female film characters. Pulp Fiction vixen Mia Wallace's (Uma Thurman) leggy looks put her in second place (14%), whilst curve-enhancing corsets win Moulin Rouge temptress Satine (Nicole Kidman) third place (10%).
At the opposite end of the style spectrum, Muriel Heslop of Muriel's Wedding fame (Toni Collette) leads the list of top ten film frock horrors (23%).
Bridget Jones (Renee Zellweger) pulled in one in five votes to claim second place in the worst-dressed list, and the unflatteringly high-waisted trousers favoured by Dirty Dancing's 'Baby' (Jennifer Grey) saw her dance into third position.
Sarra Manning, Editor of BBC What To Wear magazine, says: "It's easy to see that the iconic looks that our readers aspire to are the ones which follow the simple rules of dressing to suit your shape and boost your best bits. The results for the Most Stylish Film Icon poll could have been so different if Holly Golightly had had a penchant for pink frills and Bridget Jones had been a big fan of the little black dress!"
Notes to Editors
What To Wear magazine is a quarterly style bible combining the latest catwalk trends with no-nonsense fashion guidance, offering readers customised rules of style based around shopping for their shape.
Full breakdown of 4,118 votes:
Most Stylish Film Character
1. Holly Golightly; Breakfast at Tiffany's (Audrey Hepburn) 34%
2. Mia Wallace; Pulp Fiction (Uma Thurman) 14%
3. Natalie Cook; Charlie's Angels (Cameron Diaz) 11%
4. Satine; Moulin Rouge! (Nicole Kidman) 10%
5. Katharine Hepburn; The Aviator (Cate Blanchett) 9%
6. The Girl; The Seven Year Itch (Marilyn Monroe) 7%
7. Sandy; Grease (Olivia Newton-John) 5%
=8. Lizzie Bradbury; Wimbledon (Kirsten Dunst) 4%
=8. Nikki; Alfie (Sienna Miller) 4%
10. Lee Holloway; Secretary (Maggie Gyllenhaal) 2%
Least Stylish Film Character
1. Muriel Heslop; Muriel's Wedding (Toni Collette) 23%
2. Bridget Jones; Bridget Jones's Diary (Renee Zellweger) 21%
3. Baby; Dirty Dancing (Jennifer Grey) 17%
4. Clementine; Eternal Sunshine (Kate Winslet) 8%
=5. Elle Woods; Legally Blonde (Reese Witherspoon) 7%
=5. Josie Geller; Never Been Kissed (Drew Barrymore) 7%
7. The Bride; Kill Bill (Uma Thurman) 6%
8. Vivian Ward; Pretty Woman (Julia Roberts) 5%
9. Elektra; Elektra (Jennifer Garner) 4%
10. Alice; Closer (Natalie Portman) 2%