Ouch! Parents  permalink

Suspension of DLA Care and Mobility Components after 84 days in hospital

This discussion has been closed.

Messages: 1 - 3 of 3
  • Message 1. 

    Posted by Craig Mathieson (U14695966) on Saturday, 20th November 2010

    Dear All,

    My 3 year old son is currently in hospital, but still requires our care and support. At present my wife and I take it in turns to provide at least 84 hours of direct care per week in hospital. His Doctors, Nurses, Specialists and Surgeon all maintain that we are providing at lease 90% of his medical and personal care and that they would be unable to care for him were it not for the care that we provide. In fact they have gone so far as to say that he would not have survived were it not for our care. He also comes home for three afternoons per week to attand nursery school in support of his developmental and social needs and we have to accompany him at all times since the school has no one qualified to care for him without us.

    DLA maintain that the only criteria they are allowed to consider is the number of nights a child has spent in hospital when deciding to suspend entitlement. The specific fact they tell me that they apply is where the child wakes up each morning. The irony of this is that were we to take him home each night (when he needs only 10% of the tasks completed each day) and take him back to hospital, leaving the nurses to carry out the 90% of tasks unaided in any way, then his entitlement would remain unaffected. However, thay have continued to request information from the hospital about our son's needs and the care we provide in hospital after the date they had already decided to suspend his entitlement.

    I am in the process of appealing this decision, so I was wondering if anyone has any information relating to previous appeals decisions or Commissioner's decisions that are applicable. I'm told there is a direct precedent where the facts almost exactly match ours where they ruled that DLA had acted incorrectly in suspending entitlement in light of the on-going care needs and the extent they were continuing to be met by the parents in the hospital setting.

    You will have my gratitude for any advice or information you are able to offer.

    There is already a campaign in relation to this: Stop The DLA Takeaway [www.cafamily.org.uk/... so if you too have been affected or agree, I urge you to show your support.

    Report message1

  • Message 2

    , in reply to message 1.

    Posted by Sofie2 (U14259204) on Tuesday, 23rd November 2010

    The irony of this is that were we to take him home each night (when he needs only 10% of the tasks completed each day)  

    I think if your son comes home for some of the day or night, you're entitled to some of his DLA. Do you still have the information from your sons' claim pack about this?

    Report message2

  • Message 3

    , in reply to message 2.

    Posted by Tinbasher (U14259234) on Tuesday, 30th November 2010

    You are free to appeal but the tribunal has no power to ignore or change the law and I believe the rules are quite specific about stays in Hospital or residential care. The comissioners descision you mention may have been about how the DWP added up the days spent in hospital.

    Basically the law says the govt should not pay twice for care ie you and the hospital .

    Report message3

Back to top

About this Board

The Ouch! messageboard has now closed. Messages you have posted will remain archived.

or register to take part in a discussion.


The message board is currently closed for posting.

To continue the conversation visit Ouch's blog (bbc.co.uk/ouch) - now part of BBC News. There you'll find our podcast, regular blog entries and articles, community events, and links to where you can find us on Facebook and Twitter.

This messageboard is reactively moderated.

Find out more about this board's House Rules

Search this Board

Live community panel

Our blog is the main place to go for all things Ouch! Find info, comment, articles and great disability content on the web via us.

Mat and Liz
Listen to our regular razor sharp talk show online, or subscribe to it as a podcast. Spread the word: it's where disability and reality almost collide.

More from the BBC

BBC Sport

Disability Sport

All the latest news from the paralympics.

Peter White

In Touch

News and views for people who are blind or partially sighted.

BBC Radio 4

You & Yours

Weekdays 12.40pm. Radio 4's consumer affairs programme.

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.