Ouch! Parents  permalink

DLA cuts if your kid's in hospital

This discussion has been closed.

• Message 1. 

Posted by Bopsocks (U14630629) on Friday, 8th October 2010

Proposed DLA cuts mean that if your child is in hospital for, I think 84 days then they lose their DLA. Ridiculous! My son (who's autistic) was in for 3 days with a mystery bug and that was expensive! parking, bringing food in for me, etc.
    We only have the 1 child and hospitalisation was just a bit of bad luck but add into that the cost of childcare for siblings, lost days work for mam &/or dad and it soon mounts up. In a way, our children are paying for their care.

Report message1

• Message 2

, in reply to message 1.

Posted by Sofie2 (U14259204) on Saturday, 9th October 2010

That's more than double (3 times, I think) adults can keep their DLA for whilst in hospital.

Report message2

• Message 3

, in reply to message 1.

Posted by nedluddcare (U14482731) on Saturday, 9th October 2010

You're probably right about the DLA stopping - trouble is the people at the other end are often less well informed than you. When our son went into a childrens hospice for respite, all the agencies went into tailspin. They couldn't decide whether it qualified as 'hospital' or care home (because it was a charity and not part of NHS. Net result was they stopped all his benefits for 6 months just in case. We did get them all back - eventually - but could have done without the hassle.
    Best advice I can give is to get some benefits advice (most Local Authorities have a semi independent benefits advice service) and then stick to your guns - they're at least as likely to be wrong as you are, and they probably won't be as persistent.
    best of luck.

Report message3

• Message 4

, in reply to message 2.

Posted by Bopsocks (U14630629) on Saturday, 9th October 2010

I know! that's equally ridiculous. Being in hospital does, often, mean more expense not less. I remember my Mum and us spending a fortune on tv and phone cards (they wouldn't allow mobiles on the ward) when she was in. It makes me mad.
    I also think you should get danger money for having to stay in certain hospitals.

Report message4

• Message 5

, in reply to message 1.

Posted by Craig Mathieson (U14695966) on Monday, 22nd November 2010

You are absolutely right. DLA will suspend payments for any child under 16 after 84 nights in hospital. But it gets worse, they will also notify Carers Allowance and stop that too. They also get you on the linked stays rule so if your child is hospitalized for 42 nights and then home for less than 28 nights before being re-admitted, they start counting again from 43; although a DLA manager I spoke to tried to tell me that my child would have to be home for 84 nights to re-set the clock.

This is something that is being campaigned against at present, so if you agree or have been affected then show your support for "Stop The DLA Takeaway".

There is also at least one direct legal challenge in the offing, so watch this space or contact me directly for more information.

Report message5

• Message 6

, in reply to message 4.

Posted by Sofie2 (U14259204) on Monday, 22nd November 2010

I know! that's equally ridiculous. Being in hospital does, often, mean more expense not less.  

But when someone's in hospital, it's unlikely that they're doing all the things they say (or their child) on the DLA form. I think 84 nights is very generous and is much more than what over 16s get - 28 days for us.

Report message6

About this Board

The Ouch! messageboard has now closed. Messages you have posted will remain archived.

or register to take part in a discussion.

The message board is currently closed for posting.

To continue the conversation visit Ouch's blog (bbc.co.uk/ouch) - now part of BBC News. There you'll find our podcast, regular blog entries and articles, community events, and links to where you can find us on Facebook and Twitter.

This messageboard is reactively moderated.

Find out more about this board's House Rules

Search this Board

Live community panel

Our blog is the main place to go for all things Ouch! Find info, comment, articles and great disability content on the web via us.

Mat and Liz
Listen to our regular razor sharp talk show online, or subscribe to it as a podcast. Spread the word: it's where disability and reality almost collide.

More from the BBC

BBC Sport

Disability Sport

All the latest news from the paralympics.

Peter White

In Touch

News and views for people who are blind or partially sighted.

BBC Radio 4

You & Yours

Weekdays 12.40pm. Radio 4's consumer affairs programme.

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.