Ouch! Parents  permalink

DLA (mobility) question ?

This discussion has been closed.

• Message 1. 

Posted by helen (U13715677) on Friday, 20th August 2010

my son kayden was diagnosed in january with asd , social Communication disorder but nothing else at the moment as he was only 2 1/2 at the time of diagnosis, i filled out the dla form in december an then sent the report when he had his diagnosis, he was then award dla which was middle rate for care but as he was under three they stated he couldn't apply for the mobility part till (even tho i think he will not qualify for it ) he was three and they would contact me when he turned three, well kayden was three in july but as of yet i have not heard from dla, my question being is do i contact them about it an will i have to fill out the whole form again

Report message1

• Message 2

, in reply to message 1.

Posted by xxmenkulmancxx (U14585000) on Friday, 20th August 2010

i read it was 5yr old for mobility :s

Report message2

• Message 3

, in reply to message 1.

Posted by Sofie2 (U14259204) on Sunday, 22nd August 2010

It's 5 for lower and 3 for higher. he would have to be on higher care to get higher mobility, unless he's deafblind or unable to walk.

Report message3

• Message 4

, in reply to message 3.

Posted by lucyg355 (U14594323) on Wednesday, 25th August 2010

There are some excellent guides on DLA and ive seen some good advice from other parents on www.parentsofdisable... so might be worth taking a look as well

Report message4

• Message 5

, in reply to message 1.

Posted by mrswez (U14596459) on Saturday, 28th August 2010

Hi,
    my son is now 3 and has been receiving middle rate care DLA since he was 2.When he turned 3,I contacted DLA and asked for the forms for the mobility part.I filled them in and my son now receives the higher rate mobility on top of the middle rate care.I can have free road tax too!When he is 5 ,I have to fill in all the forms for DLA again.Children cannot use the higher rate mobility for a car until they are 5

hope that helps!

Report message5

• Message 6

, in reply to message 5.

Posted by carrie (U14625310) on Saturday, 25th September 2010

the above comment is untrue, we are awaiting delivery of a car for our 3 year old in reciept of HL mobility.

Report message6

• Message 7

, in reply to message 1.

Posted by Craig Mathieson (U14695966) on Monday, 22nd November 2010

There seem to be several discrepancies in the replies to this question. Perhaps there are inconsistencies in DLA's decisions, but it's probably fairer to say that the decision has to differ based upon each child's circumstances.

For what it's worth my son qualified for higher rate mobility at the age of 3 when he was on middle rate care. I think the decision relates to specific diagnoses, for instance a child with Cystic Fibrosis cannot reasonably be expected to use public transport because of the danger to them from infection.

Specifically for Helen. Do speak to DLA mobility for Kayden if you honestly believe he needs it, the worst DLA can do is say no.

Report message7

• Message 8

, in reply to message 7.

Posted by Sofie2 (U14259204) on Tuesday, 23rd November 2010

For what it's worth my son qualified for higher rate mobility at the age of 3 when he was on middle rate care.  

To claim higher mobility for learning disability with behaviour problems, you need to be claiming the higher care too. For those who meet the "unable to walk" and deafblind criteria, you don't need to be receiving higher care (there is additional criteria for higher mobility and learning difficulties with behaviour problems)

Report message8

About this Board

The Ouch! messageboard has now closed. Messages you have posted will remain archived.

or register to take part in a discussion.

The message board is currently closed for posting.

To continue the conversation visit Ouch's blog (bbc.co.uk/ouch) - now part of BBC News. There you'll find our podcast, regular blog entries and articles, community events, and links to where you can find us on Facebook and Twitter.

This messageboard is reactively moderated.

Find out more about this board's House Rules

Search this Board

Live community panel

Our blog is the main place to go for all things Ouch! Find info, comment, articles and great disability content on the web via us.

Mat and Liz
Listen to our regular razor sharp talk show online, or subscribe to it as a podcast. Spread the word: it's where disability and reality almost collide.

More from the BBC

BBC Sport

Disability Sport

All the latest news from the paralympics.

Peter White

In Touch

News and views for people who are blind or partially sighted.

BBC Radio 4

You & Yours

Weekdays 12.40pm. Radio 4's consumer affairs programme.

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.