Disability Q&A  permalink

Moving house.

This discussion has been closed.

Messages: 1 - 3 of 3
  • Message 1. 

    Posted by cheesecloth (U13793516) on Thursday, 7th July 2011

    I am 62 & disabled. I am having to move house through no fault of my own. I have lived in the house for 40 years so you can imagine the junk that has collected.

    The question I would like to ask is, does anyone know if there is any voluntary organisations that could come to my home & help me with this move, ie pack boxes, dispose of unwanted items etc.

    I am unable to lift or carry due to spinal operations. It is a daunting task that lies ahead of me & I just don't know which way to turn.

    I am sitting here thinking of all the people I will have inform of my change of address & literall don't know where to start.

    Report message1

  • Message 2

    , in reply to message 1.

    Posted by monic1511 (U1768751) on Thursday, 7th July 2011

    Hi Cheesecloth
    I'm sorry I know of no organisations that will pack for you, I know you can pay for it to be done but have no idea of the cost, I suppose you could get a quote and then apply for a community care grant.

    When I moved last year I got a mail redirection so that as the mail came in I'd write back with a standard letter saying this is my new address.
    One way to make the list would be to look at who you pay bills to and then contact them.

    Good luck & hope you find some help

    Report message2

  • Message 3

    , in reply to message 2.

    Posted by hossylass (U3749845) on Thursday, 7th July 2011

    Some councils have relocation assistance.

    AgeUK might be able to provide voluntary help with the actual packing.

    If you get a relocation grant or community care grant then the removals company may have a packing service.

    Royal mail will redirect your mail for as many months as you need EXCEPT some Government letters, so you need to tell DWP, JC+, income support etc.

    The rest you can deal with as they write to you.

    Moneysavingexpert used to have a check list of people you have to tell, but housing benefit and council tax benefit are two others.

    Banks can be difficult until you have some letter with your new address, but the DWP will write a letter to you telling you that your benefits wont change but you have a change of circumstances (i.e. you have moved) so this is a handy letter to keep and use as proof.

    Moving is hell. I have just moved, and got in a right mess by moving half the stuff, then getting too ill to move the rest...

    Report message3

Back to top

About this Board

The Ouch! messageboard has now closed. Messages you have posted will remain archived.

or register to take part in a discussion.

The message board is currently closed for posting.

To continue the conversation visit Ouch's blog (bbc.co.uk/ouch) - now part of BBC News. There you'll find our podcast, regular blog entries and articles, community events, and links to where you can find us on Facebook and Twitter.

This messageboard is reactively moderated.

Find out more about this board's House Rules

Search this Board

Live community panel

Our blog is the main place to go for all things Ouch! Find info, comment, articles and great disability content on the web via us.

Mat and Liz
Listen to our regular razor sharp talk show online, or subscribe to it as a podcast. Spread the word: it's where disability and reality almost collide.

More from the BBC

BBC Sport

Disability Sport

All the latest news from the paralympics.

Peter White

In Touch

News and views for people who are blind or partially sighted.

BBC Radio 4

You & Yours

Weekdays 12.40pm. Radio 4's consumer affairs programme.

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.