Disability Q&A  permalink

Portable ramp

This discussion has been closed.

• Message 1. 

Posted by mrsfairysparkle (U11221741) on Monday, 4th July 2011

I am looking for a ramp I can put into the ruck sack on the back of my power chair that can be taken out and unfolded to use for small inclines (e.g. shops that have one step at the front).

I have seen several models, and one which looks as if it would go into rucksack, but wondered if anyone had any experience using one.

Feedback would be much appreciated.

The weight only matters that my rucksack can take it. I have eyelids - I have no qualms whatsoever at batting them up and down and asking very nicely for someone to help with the portable ramp.

I shall of course say the words - DDA!, very loudly in any shop I do obtain access too, and point out the obvious. If only they had bought the ramp, then I wouldn't have to.

Report message1

• Message 2

, in reply to message 1.

Posted by Lisa Jane (U14861672) on Monday, 4th July 2011

Have you tried to get a kerb climber fitted to your chair?
    Would it really be practical to carry a ramp everywhere?
    I use a powerchair sometimes but don't carry a ramp.
    I tried a lightweight plastic one but it was rubbish so gave up on that.
    Good luck and I hope you get something.

Report message2

• Message 3

, in reply to message 2.

Posted by mrsfairysparkle (U11221741) on Monday, 4th July 2011

Hi Lisa

I have a kerb climber and so I know the level of incline that I can do with the chair.

I would use the ramp only for places I absolutely have to go to, and not all the time. The one I am looking at is called a Portaramp, and if anyone can vouch for it, it might solve the odd situation for me that would make a huge difference.

Shame about the plastic one.

FS x

Report message3

• Message 4

, in reply to message 2.

Posted by wheelydad86 (U14862918) on Tuesday, 5th July 2011

With respect, I would not advise a kerb-climber for access to a shop, as when about to climb a kerb or step with a powerchair full power is often required. It can be very risky in confined space.

Report message4

• Message 5

, in reply to message 4.

Posted by devine63 (U14166755) on Tuesday, 5th July 2011

And if you want to cite the law, don't bother saying DDA - it has been replaced by the Equality Act 2010.

regards, Deb

Report message5

• Message 6

, in reply to message 5.

Posted by Lisa Jane (U14861672) on Tuesday, 5th July 2011

Bump

Report message6

About this Board

The Ouch! messageboard has now closed. Messages you have posted will remain archived.

or register to take part in a discussion.

The message board is currently closed for posting.

To continue the conversation visit Ouch's blog (bbc.co.uk/ouch) - now part of BBC News. There you'll find our podcast, regular blog entries and articles, community events, and links to where you can find us on Facebook and Twitter.

This messageboard is reactively moderated.

Find out more about this board's House Rules

Search this Board

Live community panel

Our blog is the main place to go for all things Ouch! Find info, comment, articles and great disability content on the web via us.

Mat and Liz
Listen to our regular razor sharp talk show online, or subscribe to it as a podcast. Spread the word: it's where disability and reality almost collide.

More from the BBC

BBC Sport

Disability Sport

All the latest news from the paralympics.

Peter White

In Touch

News and views for people who are blind or partially sighted.

BBC Radio 4

You & Yours

Weekdays 12.40pm. Radio 4's consumer affairs programme.

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.