Disability Q&A  permalink

Tempur Mattress is too hot.

This discussion has been closed.

• Message 1. 

Posted by Yvette (U12302253) on Thursday, 6th January 2011

Does anyone else get really hot with Tempur Foam mattress?

I have tried putting two duvet covers on top of it plus a mattress cover, but I still wake up boiling hot - even though I use a summer duvet.

Although the mattress is very comfortable indeed, waking up several times a night is making me exhausted.

Report message1

• Message 2

, in reply to message 1.

Posted by sososo (U14311763) on Thursday, 6th January 2011

Hi Yvette
    I bought a tempur mattress about 2 yrs ago and it sweated me like mad, I would wake up soaking through, my fulll body.
    My physio rec I bought a tempur pillow, it cost me £36 and it done same as mattress so got rid of. I now use an ortho. bed and feather pillows.
    Hope this has help a little Yvette

Report message2

• Message 3

, in reply to message 1.

Posted by meridi (U13521523) on Thursday, 6th January 2011

I love my memory foam matress topper, its warm though.

So i got feather mattress topper on top of memeory foam and that has doen the trick!

So i am like Princess and the pea with three matresses but nice and comfy!!

I got my lovely feather topper via QVC, its important feathers are well washed and clean to avoid allergy reactions.

Report message3

• Message 4

, in reply to message 3.

Posted by 9Eeyore9 (U13798097) on Thursday, 6th January 2011

Hi, I have had a Tempur matress for 7 years now. To begin with I found it warm but found I got used to it. Now I couldn't imagine lying on anything else. I also have a Tempur loose foam pillow which I love.

Alice.

Report message4

• Message 5

, in reply to message 1.

Posted by Fiona-Jane (U14274949) on Thursday, 6th January 2011

hiya,

i've got a mattress topper thats fairly thick (7cm) and used to find it really hot but got used to it after a while. in midwinter all i slept under was a little skinny summer duvet and was still toasty warm! smiley - biggrin

in the summer when i was sleeping under a thinner topper i used to just sleep with a thin sheet over me and that was enough, and as the weather is slowly warming up i find that i sometimes prefer to sleep under my fleecy blanket rather than the summer duvet.

maybe try just sleeping under a blanket to see if that works better for you? i got told off by some of my pals for swapping to a blanket as apparently i was at risk of hypothermia (*rolls eyes* - i'd need to be cold for that to set in!) duvets are a relatively recent invention and blankets used to be perfectly adequate before them.

it took me a while to play with different combinations of sheets and blankets etc so maybe just have a play and see what works better?

and i swapped my tempur pillow for a normal one and my head doesnt get all hot and sweaty like it used to do, and although the pillow isnt as supportive i still sleep better as i'm not quite as hot smiley - smiley

fi

Report message5

• Message 6

, in reply to message 5.

Posted by Fiona-Jane (U14274949) on Thursday, 6th January 2011

oh, and i forgot to add- i turn my heating off at night (when it's not going to be cold enough to freeze the pipes) and that helps me stop feeling hot at night- maybe if thats not an option (ie sharing the house and others want it on etc) maybe you could turn it down, or off, in your bedroom?

fi

Report message6

• Message 7

, in reply to message 6.

Posted by Yvette (U12302253) on Thursday, 6th January 2011

Thanks for all your replies.

I don't have any heating upstairs - my house isn't centrally heated. I do have a wall mounted 500w convector heater in the bedroom which, when it is really cold, I turn on for a couple of hours before I go to bed, but since the snows went, I've not had it on.

I'm sleeping under a summer 4 tog duvet and previously was under just a fleece blanket but as the winter wore on, that wasn't warm enough.

It isn't 'above' my body that gets hot, its the part that lies on the mattress. When I wake up and feel the other side of the bed, it is lovely and cool, but the bit I have been lying on is really hot.

I have two duvet covers and a mattress protector on the mattress underneath the sheet, but it still gets boiling hot.

I can't take the mattress protector or duvet covers off the mattress as I have a colostomy and need to protect the mattress should I have an 'accident' during the night.

Report message7

• Message 8

, in reply to message 7.

Posted by Jazz (U14239172) on Friday, 7th January 2011

Hi

I brought a Tempur mattress topper which is at least 8inch thick in September this year, we have found the exact problem.

You feel so hot that there is sweat running down body but as soon as you kick duvet off you are too cold. We swapped our 13.5 tog one for a 10.5 tog but it is still a bit too warm, now thinking of trying our summer one which is a 4.5 but wonder if that too low.

My hubby has said he would like the mattress to go even though he too has benefitted from having it but I love my mattress, I hadnt slept properly for 2years till I had this.

Think I will try the advice about putting a feather duvet on the top of the topper first.

Glad to read that we were not the only ones finding this problem, the details claim that it regulates to your temputure and will not make you hot I even asked the sales person on the phone if it makes you sweat and they said no.

Jazz xx

Report message8

• Message 9

, in reply to message 8.

Posted by Yvette (U12302253) on Friday, 7th January 2011

I use a 4 tog duvet Jazz and still wake up too hot.

I am thinking of buying a Zonesleep topper to put on top of the Tempur foam mattress as these toppers have had good reports over on the Ouch board:

www.bbc.co.uk/ouch/m...

Report message9

• Message 10

, in reply to message 9.

Posted by RoseRodent (U1896879) on Friday, 7th January 2011

I had to give up on foam as everything was just horrifically too hot for me, I was forever trying to move to a cooler bit of the bed, which on some nights is so much work I'd be sweating buckets by the time I got moved! I ended up buying a second-hand alternating pressure mattress and pump online and I don't run the pump, I just use it to fill the chambers and then I put the two tubes together so it distributes the air to each chamber so I'm sunk down into the mattress. It does make an interesting "pchwoooo" every time you roll over, but since I don't move once I'm asleep (sleep like I've been shot in the head) that doesn't matter for me.

What I really, really, really, really want when I can afford the shipping and the inevitable massive taxes is this:
    www.coolorheat.com/...

Electric blanket that works by fluid circulation so you can set it that you want the bed warmed up (thermostatically, not just setting 1, 2, 3, etc. so it will react to the changing temperature of your body and bedroom) or just as much that you are too hot and it will circulate cooled water under you all night. You do always lose some of the protection of your mattress when you add an electric blanket cos they are generally manufactured like rocks, but being a good temperature is also vital to sleep properly.

Darnit I checked their website and they seem to no longer make a full sized double bed version with twin controls. Curse them!

Report message10

• Message 11

, in reply to message 10.

Posted by jbtyke2 (U14291512) on Friday, 7th January 2011

Ive used a Temper Pedic mattress in the past. Its a while ago now so I think i was quite warm with it, but I really don't remember.

What I do wonder Yvette is, is it possible some of the heat you're feeling is the duvet you're using over the top of the mattres insulating you from below? Comments from others above would suggest there's more to it than that though. Also, I've got a vague memory I was told not to put anything other than a sheet over the mattress because it could reduce its effectiveness. Hhmm, not sure how you'll get over that one...

Report message11

• Message 12

, in reply to message 11.

Posted by Yvette (U12302253) on Friday, 7th January 2011

I'm only using a summer duvet. Before it got really cold I used a fleece blanket, but that wouldn't be warm enough.

It is definitely the warmth from the mattress that is the problem.

Report message12

• Message 13

, in reply to message 11.

Posted by Jazz (U14239172) on Saturday, 8th January 2011

Hi

I too was told not to put anything over the mattress not even a mattress protector as it would affect the way the mattress worked.

Seems stupid that we have paid all this money out (mine was £719),told that it wont make you hot as it regulates to your body temp and then we have to pay out a fortune in duvets/other toppers to stop you feeling soooo hot.

Perhaps we should all write/phone them and tell them the problem we are having with it. I will be phoning them in the next few days will tell you what they say.

Jazz xx

Report message13

• Message 14

, in reply to message 13.

Posted by Yvette (U12302253) on Saturday, 8th January 2011

That will be brilliant Jazz. If your manufacturer can give advice on not getting so hot, we will all benefit. smiley - ok

Report message14

• Message 15

, in reply to message 14.

Posted by Jazz (U14239172) on Monday, 10th January 2011

Hi everyone,

Said I would be phoning to find out about why we all feeling so hot with a Tempur mattress.

Just came off phone I actually phoned Tempur direct, the lady said: it is because on a Tempur mattress/overlay your body is actually laying in the correct position, unlike a conventional mattress, this makes your circulation work properly which in turn raises your tempature because blood is pumping properly round body.

She said things that might help: reduce quilt tog,open a window and lowering your heating. DO NOT put anything other than a sheet on the mattress/overlay as this will ruin the workings of the product and could render the mattress useless.

Other things to use which cost a heck of a lot of money are their own specially made mattress protecters which for a double I was quoted £90.95 and a duvet specially made to be used with the Tempur mattress/overlays which helps regulate your body tempature and stops you getting over hot, the quote for a kingsize which I use was a whopping £538.95!!!!!! she said if you go to a local supplier of Tempur you may get them a bit cheaper!!!

Well, hope I have managed to answer some of your queries about these mattresses/overlays, the information came direct from Tempur themselves so best help/advice we are likely to get, I'm not convinced myself seems like a money getting game, you purchase a mattress/overlay-mine cost £819, then you then get too hot so you then pay out £90.95 for a special protecter as ordinary ones can ruin the workings of mattress then a duvet at £538.95 which is the only one recommended by them to help the problem!!!

Best of luck everyone!!!

Jazz xx

Report message15

• Message 16

, in reply to message 15.

Posted by Yvette (U12302253) on Monday, 10th January 2011

Jazz, thank you so much for the information you found out and have posted - greatly appreciated.

I have looked at their mattress protector on their website and find its description very confusing.

It says it is waterproof 'and' breathable. It says it allows body heat and vapour to pass through, to keep you cool and comfortable, thanks to its breathable properties - but if it is waterproof how does it do that?

I'll give them a ring tomorrow too and ask them how exactly the mattress protector works as I can't understand the website!!! smiley - doh

Report message16

• Message 17

, in reply to message 16.

Posted by Yvette (U12302253) on Tuesday, 11th January 2011

I have rung Tempur this morning and have been told that the mattress protector on their website does not help keep you cool - despite the blub on the website which says it allows body heat and vapour to pass through, keeping you cool and comfortable, thanks to its breathable properties!!!

Apparently it is solely for keeping the mattress clean and free from stains - which is why it is waterproof.

The reason it is breathable is so one's body heat can still get through the fabric which makes the mattress mould to one's body.

Now I understand. smiley - doh

However, I was told that the firm has discontinued using the thick velour fabric with which they made their mattress covers as they realised that the velour was contributing to making people hot!!

As I have an older tempur mattress with a velour cover, he advised me to remove the cover and just use sheets on top of the mattress instead.

So, when my helper next comes and removes the velour cover, I will see how I get on and report back if I am any cooler!!!

Between us Jazz, we will hopefully get it sorted!!

Report message17

• Message 18

, in reply to message 1.

Posted by honey3680 (U14719841) on Tuesday, 11th January 2011

It has been a few years since I have been able to lay in a bed but before that I did try a tempur mattress I felt like I was being cooked alive. I do like some warmth but not over powering. Long before I became ill I had a king sized bed and used to use a single electric blanket at the bottom of the bed to keep my feet warm. Now that was lovely and cosey and not too hot. Wouldnt have the same support as some other mattresses though.

Report message18

• Message 19

, in reply to message 17.

Posted by Jazz (U14239172) on Wednesday, 12th January 2011

Hi Yvette

I wonder did they say how long they dicontinued using the velour cover, I only brought mine in september and mine has the velour cover on it, which means they knew that they were going to discontinue using the cover when I brought it.

I will be ringing them this morning to ask them what they are going to do about it as I feel they conned me, I particularly asked if it would make me feel hot before I purchased it (twice I asked-2 different sales people) and they said no, they must have known then that there were probs with the velour and shouldnt have lied.

Also the person in customer services told me on monday that the mattress protecter was an answer to my prob with the heat as it was meant specially for the mattress and would stop it from making me hot!!! I feel they have lied to me each time I spoke to them, I am very cross!!!!!!

It costs a lot of money and I wanted to be sure before I purchased it, I would have thought twice before purchasing it if I had known.

jazz xx

Report message19

• Message 20

, in reply to message 19.

Posted by Yvette (U12302253) on Wednesday, 12th January 2011

Jazz, no wonder you are cross!! I'd be livid.

It seems their sales people don't know what on earth they are talking about.

I am going to try one of th Zonesleeper mattress toppers mentioned on the Ouch board because I am still concerned that even with the velour cover removed, the tempur foam will still be too hot.

Auntie has sent for one too, so we'll have to see how we get on - there is a guarantee with them so you can return them if they do not work for you.

Report message20

• Message 21

, in reply to message 20.

Posted by Yvette (U12302253) on Friday, 14th January 2011

The ZoneSleep Breathable Mattress Topper arrived yesterday - really swift delivery!

After airing it for a few hours, my next door neighbour changed my bedding for me (she is so kind to me) and put it on the bed.

Success!!!

For the first time ever, I didn't wake up hot and sweaty several times a night.

It is fantastic.

It did cost a lot of money but it was well worth every single penny because a good night's sleep is priceless!

Report message21

• Message 22

, in reply to message 21.

Posted by Yvette (U12302253) on Friday, 14th January 2011

Forgot to give the website addy:

www.zonesleep.co.uk/...

Report message22

• Message 23

, in reply to message 22.

Posted by mariabull (U14756380) on Monday, 17th January 2011

i also just bought a Zonesleep topper,

two words to decribe it, "absolutely amazing" ...

does exeactly what was explained on their site, also great telephone service.

They told me everything i needed, ordered it on Friday recieved on Monday (17/01)

check it out people, Zonelseep Mattress Topper

reply to this is you need to know anything else smiley - smiley

Report message23

• Message 24

, in reply to message 23.

Posted by pooka79 (U14764535) on Wednesday, 26th January 2011

lo all

a word of warning

was reading this thread and just checked out the zonesleep site given above.

AVG antivirus on the PC is reporting blocking malicious sites both on the home page and the microclimate page.

cheers

Report message24

• Message 25

, in reply to message 24.

Posted by Yvette (U12302253) on Wednesday, 26th January 2011

I've just clicked onto the website and it was ok.

Several Ouchers have now bought ZoneSleep toppers and haven't had any probs with the website.

Report message25

• Message 26

, in reply to message 25.

Posted by mariabull (U14756380) on Thursday, 27th January 2011

i had absolutely no problems about two weeks ago

Report message26

• Message 27

, in reply to message 26.

Posted by Yvette (U12302253) on Thursday, 27th January 2011

I've been in contact with ZoneSleep today and they confirmed their website was secure.

Apparently it is probably an issue with AVG as it can be unreliable sometimes.

Report message27

• Message 28

, in reply to message 15.

Posted by logicfan (U13064598) on Sunday, 6th March 2011

Hi Jazzy
    I thought I had solved my own problems with the tempur mattress by changing to 100% wool blankets. However, recently I had to change bedrooms to one with two outside walls and no heating and found two blankets didn't keep me quite warm enough.
    Having received some gift vouchers for my seventieth birthday I decided to buy an additional blanket. While in the shop I gave into the temptation to buy a wool duvet for an extra £15 thinking that I would once again be able to use my pretty cotton duvet covers. Once home I tried it out and found it draped beautifully which for me is an essential for a Duvet. The only drawback for some people might be the slight aroma of Lanoline but I find it not umpleasant. This Duvet is the lightweight summer one which I think will be alright for me but might not suit people like my son (Athetoid C.P) who tends to get tangled up with draping Duvets.
    Will let you know if this is successful
    Builder

Report message28

• Message 29

, in reply to message 28.

Posted by mrs_spanner (U14761830) on Monday, 7th March 2011

Morning peeps,

I have a memory foam mattress - not tempur but it is all memory foam, no springs etc. It is warmer than my old mattress but I have a mattress protector from M & S that is like a thermo-control one, and it really helps. I know the blurb on the mattresses says not to use a mattress protector but honestly I have noticed no difference at all; when I get out of bed there is still a body-shaped dent in my mattress that slowly goes back to normal so it's obviously working.

Mine is a year or so old but they still do one called cool soft cotton mattress protector. Might be worth a try but it certainly works for me (and has really helped with night sweats too).

My other tip is to only ever use 100% cotton bedding; no polycotton at all.

Spanner smiley - smiley

Report message29

• Message 30

, in reply to message 1.

Posted by WendySam (U14836177) on Saturday, 9th April 2011

I have tried putting two duvet covers on top of it plus a mattress cover, but I still wake up boiling hot - even though I use a summer duvet.

Although the mattress is very comfortable indeed, waking up several times a night is making me exhausted. 
    Hi Yvette,

I really liked the Tempur mattresses when we had one on trial but agree they do get very warm - which was a pity, as I found it very comfortable.

I found I just couldn't live with it because of this so we had to send it back. I did however find on the internet at the time that you can get special covers and protectors for mattresses like this made by coolmaxx and another was outlast, but I'll be honest in that I didn't try them so not sure how good they are at cooling you down. What I would say is that you shouldn't put duvets underneath you as this is likely to make you hotter - I remember being told that a blanket under a baby has the same insulating qualities as having it over them. I was also told by Tempur when I asked to send it back that it can take time for you to get used to it and that the heat issue would improve, but I just couldn't persevere with it…

My sister has another type of foam mattress from www.ergoflex.co.uk which has some type of cooling system in it which she insists stops it being too warm. I've tried it and it does feel very similar to the tempur ones, and it's very comfy, but I haven't spent a night on it so not sure if it would be cool enough for me.

If you can't send your tempur mattress back then it might be worth trying one of the cooling covers on it. I'm sure the Coolmaxx and outlasts

Report message30

• Message 31

, in reply to message 30.

Posted by Yvette (U12302253) on Sunday, 10th April 2011

Thanks WendySam, it is kind of you to reply.

I bought a mattress topper (can't remember the name of it - but it is mentioned in one of the posts in this thread) which went on top of the tempur mattress and it has solved the problem completely.

Welcome to Ouch.

Report message31

• Message 32

, in reply to message 30.

Posted by Daringsupercaitriona (U14055735) on Sunday, 10th April 2011

Hi Yvette,

I really liked the Tempur mattresses when we had one on trial but agree they do get very warm - which was a pity, as I found it very comfortable.

I found I just couldn't live with it because of this so we had to send it back. I did however find on the internet at the time that you can get special covers and protectors for mattresses like this made by coolmaxx and another was outlast, but I'll be honest in that I didn't try them so not sure how good they are at cooling you down. What I would say is that you shouldn't put duvets underneath you as this is likely to make you hotter - I remember being told that a blanket under a baby has the same insulating qualities as having it over them. I was also told by Tempur when I asked to send it back that it can take time for you to get used to it and that the heat issue would improve, but I just couldn't persevere with it…

My sister has another type of foam mattress from www.ergoflex.co.uk which has some type of cooling system in it which she insists stops it being too warm. I've tried it and it does feel very similar to the tempur ones, and it's very comfy, but I haven't spent a night on it so not sure if it would be cool enough for me.

If you can't send your tempur mattress back then it might be worth trying one of the cooling covers on it. I'm sure the Coolmaxx and outlasts  
    I bought a full sized single Memory foam matress from poundstretcher for £50.00. It does the same thing as the tempur one but it dosen't make me too warm.

Report message32

About this Board

The Ouch! messageboard has now closed. Messages you have posted will remain archived.

or register to take part in a discussion.

The message board is currently closed for posting.

To continue the conversation visit Ouch's blog (bbc.co.uk/ouch) - now part of BBC News. There you'll find our podcast, regular blog entries and articles, community events, and links to where you can find us on Facebook and Twitter.

This messageboard is reactively moderated.

Find out more about this board's House Rules

Search this Board

Live community panel

Our blog is the main place to go for all things Ouch! Find info, comment, articles and great disability content on the web via us.

Mat and Liz
Listen to our regular razor sharp talk show online, or subscribe to it as a podcast. Spread the word: it's where disability and reality almost collide.

More from the BBC

BBC Sport

Disability Sport

All the latest news from the paralympics.

Peter White

In Touch

News and views for people who are blind or partially sighted.

BBC Radio 4

You & Yours

Weekdays 12.40pm. Radio 4's consumer affairs programme.

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.