Disability Q&A  permalink

Herniated disc 2008 claiming DLA

This discussion has been closed.

• Message 1. 

Posted by darren (U14571250) on Saturday, 31st July 2010

Hi all,
    Where do I Start..?
    I've had back problems a few years ago but that never stopped me from working ( cabin crew for 15 years ).
    I then fell over in June 2008 and had to go to A&E, then had MRI, found to be herniated disc L4/L5,
    Had a discectomy October 2008, went to see two surgeons and both said operation ASAP.
    Everything seem ok for about 4 to 5 weeks then bang..!!!! when I started to walk the pain was horrible, both in my back and legs.
    Had another MRI scan 01/2009 and had herniated again but had a mass of scar tissue. Didn't think much of that as everybody gets a certain amout of scar tissue. Surgeon put me on Gabapentin which helped alot. I was awarded high DLA for two years because of walking in severe pain. Went to see both surgeons again and they both said have another discectomy which was December 2009. Felt good again for a few weeks then bang again but this was more severe in my legs and feet. The tingling and burning in my feet are driving me mad, the pain in my legs in the bones are horrible, I feel brusied like someone has beaten me on my bottom and the back of my thighs, when I move around my legs do not feel like they are attached to my body..!
    I went back to my surgeon and he said it's the scar tissue( epidural fibrosis) which is causing the problems. He has discharged me and said it is a matter for long term pain management. He has informed all parties I have a codition called 'dysesthesia' but my physio has said it also 'arachnoidities'. I'm now on morphine which helps alot, there has been a problem with my liver so I had to come off gabapentin, the only problem is I'm more aware of the pain since coming off this drug. To those who have any medical 'kno how' this is my last mri report.
    There is degenerative change in the lumbar discs from L2/3 to L5/S1. these discs are dehydrated and have lost height. There are discrete posterior annulus fibrosis tears at L3/L4 and L4/L5. On the axial imaging at L4/L5 there is a moderate sized central disc protrusion. This is similar in size to the previous syudy of 28/01/2009. It is mildly compressing both traversing L5 nerve roots as they enter the lateral recess. Just inferior to the disc there is enhacing epidural fibrosis lying anterior, to the right and posterior to the thecal sac. This tissue is contacting both traversing nerve roots in the lateral recess, particlarly on the right handside.
    There are small disc bulges at L2/3, L2/L3 and L5/S1 but these are causing no nerve root compression.
    Conclusion. There is a recurrant disc at L4/L5 and post operative fibrosis which are compromising the traversing L5 nerve roots bilaterally
    The goverment (Altos) do not want to see me anymore after getting a medical from my doctors, they cancelled their last appointment. I have just had my new DLA forms through, My condition has got worse with the pain in both legs and feet. Do you think DLA will turn me down ? I also have a blue badge which is a life saver. I live on my own, no care element was given as I have a stool in the kitchen which I sit on when I cook. I'm going to see a CAB advisor next month.
    So this is my story so far in the last two years, any advise would be very helpful.
    Thanks D

Report message1

• Message 2

, in reply to message 1.

Posted by Sofie2 (U14259204) on Saturday, 31st July 2010

DLA is based on care and /or mobility needs you have because of your disability. The diagnosis is irrelevant.

Report message2

• Message 3

, in reply to message 1.

Posted by stevec (U14571363) on Saturday, 31st July 2010

Hi, I sympathise with you greatly as I have more or less the same condition though it was made worse by a surgeon removing the wrong disc. I received my DLA award this year and it was for the middle care rate and upper rate for the mobility component. I was awarded this indefinitly though we all know that retesting is around the corner for everyone. I hope it all goes in your favour as Arachnoiditis and Adhesive Arachnoiditis are extremely difficult diseases to live with.

Report message3

• Message 4

, in reply to message 3.

Posted by darren (U14571250) on Saturday, 31st July 2010

Gosh I'm sorry to hear your surgeon removed the wrong disc, I keep on saying to myself there are people far worse of than me, I stay postive which keeps me going and have a great family and friends. CAB said I filled in the forms wrong but was awarded high rate DLA anyway, I moved back with my parents so I had them looking after me at the time. I now know you need good advise when filling in these forms. Well I hope you condition is not getting worse and has stablized, wishing you all the best of luck for the future steve. I've started meditation and basic yoga which really helps, mind over matter so they say..!.
    D

Report message4

• Message 5

, in reply to message 1.

Posted by meridi (U13521523) on Saturday, 31st July 2010

Hi Darren I recomend this site for you

www.painsupport.co.uk

They are all very supportive and have loats of ideas to help manage pain and get right treatments.

I attend a pain clinic and have found them very helpful over the years lost of new things around to help manage pain.

I too had probs with L5/S1 which developed into Cauda Equina syndrome and arachnoiditus.

BUT what I found was that I had an infection in the space where they took disc away, only an MRI can reveal this.

All the ops and disc pressure causes damge to nerve that is the cause of your pain, things can settle down after a couple of years, but they can also get worse as arthritus sets in.

Do explore the site I have given you info on as too much to share in a post.

Get referral to pain clinic, ask for physiotherapy too as certain exercises can help a lot as can guidance on posture when in pain.

It is often the fear of pain that can affect us most, once you believe that the pain does not indicate things are getting worse you will learn to manage it, takes time but is possible with support and pain meds.

Hope this helps bye for now

Report message5

• Message 6

, in reply to message 4.

This posting has been hidden during moderation because it broke the House Rules in some way.

• Message 7

, in reply to message 5.

Posted by _sticky (U14924096) on Sunday, 3rd July 2011

Hi Darren I recomend this site for you

www.painsupport.co.uk

They are all very supportive and have loats of ideas to help manage pain and get right treatments.

I attend a pain clinic and have found them very helpful over the years lost of new things around to help manage pain.

I too had probs with L5/S1 which developed into Cauda Equina syndrome and arachnoiditus.

BUT what I found was that I had an infection in the space where they took disc away, only an MRI can reveal this.

All the ops and disc pressure causes damge to nerve that is the cause of your pain, things can settle down after a couple of years, but they can also get worse as arthritus sets in.

Do explore the site I have given you info on as too much to share in a post.

Get referral to pain clinic, ask for physiotherapy too as certain exercises can help a lot as can guidance on posture when in pain.

It is often the fear of pain that can affect us most, once you believe that the pain does not indicate things are getting worse you will learn to manage it, takes time but is possible with support and pain meds.

Hope this helps bye for now

I am surprised to read how serious back problems are..when i was 22 i had an epidural during labour..the student doctor had trouble getting the fluid into my nerves and took 4 attempts..ever since then i have been on very strong painkillers..i get the lower rate of dla and and just going throught the process of getting onto higher rate so i can get a car as the 3 mile walk i have to do daily if having a serious impact on my daily life..the proble i have is describing the pain without making my self look like an idiot..it is in the lower part of my back and the pain takes my breath away and affects the tops of my legs which feel like they are turning to jelly...thanks for reading

Report message7

About this Board

The Ouch! messageboard has now closed. Messages you have posted will remain archived.

or register to take part in a discussion.

The message board is currently closed for posting.

To continue the conversation visit Ouch's blog (bbc.co.uk/ouch) - now part of BBC News. There you'll find our podcast, regular blog entries and articles, community events, and links to where you can find us on Facebook and Twitter.

This messageboard is reactively moderated.

Find out more about this board's House Rules

Search this Board

Live community panel

Our blog is the main place to go for all things Ouch! Find info, comment, articles and great disability content on the web via us.

Mat and Liz
Listen to our regular razor sharp talk show online, or subscribe to it as a podcast. Spread the word: it's where disability and reality almost collide.

More from the BBC

BBC Sport

Disability Sport

All the latest news from the paralympics.

Peter White

In Touch

News and views for people who are blind or partially sighted.

BBC Radio 4

You & Yours

Weekdays 12.40pm. Radio 4's consumer affairs programme.

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.