See Hear Talk  permalink

hello

This discussion has been closed.

• Message 1. 

Posted by jabber63 (U1050770) on Sunday, 21st August 2005

hi , im new and a compleate mesige bord novice im about to start learning BSL and i was just after advice really beacause i have 1 slight worie

hear gose i was wondering aboout finger spelling like if ur rubbich at spelling any way and spell something rong will peeps b able to guess what im saying and

if ur deaf do u think that it makes u better at spellin

Report message1

• Message 2

, in reply to message 1.

Posted by deaf_rock_not_dumb (U1899247) on Monday, 22nd August 2005

hi Jabber68,

I believe that if you are deaf it doesnt make your spelling better cos i am 16 and my reading age is that same as a ' hearing' 10 years old.

Report message2

• Message 3

, in reply to message 1.

Posted by U1819128 (U1819128) on Monday, 22nd August 2005

I dont think spelling matters very much with fingerspelling either. I cant imagine that it would be. I use fingerspelling when signing alot as I am learning BSL and have a long way to go before I get to a level where I can have an in depth conversation. I have noticed when I start to fingerspell a word that I do not know the sign for, Deaf people ofteb guess the word I'm looking for after I have started fingerspelling the first two or three letters of the word, and 'mouth' the word to me to lipread and acknowledge that it is correct. I cant promise that it doesnt matter but I don't think it does.

Report message3

• Message 4

, in reply to message 3.

Posted by shelle02 (U1909470) on Monday, 22nd August 2005

Being deaf is not really all that relevant to whether you can spell. There are plenty of hearing people who can spell, and plenty who cannot. Just like deaf people too, some can and some cant. Being born deaf also does not mean you cannot talk, although some may not be able to. There are lots of variables involved, so you should not assume that all deaf people born that way cannot talk, and that those born hearing do talk.

Report message4

• Message 5

, in reply to message 4.

Posted by deaf_rock_not_dumb (U1899247) on Monday, 22nd August 2005

yeah i agree... i am deaf and my spelling is rubbish, but i have an older friend and she is hearing and her spelling is worse than mine,

i believe that strong BSL user, their spelling this better than some oral deaf people because they have to finger spell.. but i am a strong BSL user aswell..... but i dont do much finger spelling..

Report message5

About this Board

The Ouch! messageboard has now closed. Messages you have posted will remain archived.

or register to take part in a discussion.

The message board is currently closed for posting.

To continue the conversation visit Ouch's blog (bbc.co.uk/ouch) - now part of BBC News. There you'll find our podcast, regular blog entries and articles, community events, and links to where you can find us on Facebook and Twitter.

This messageboard is reactively moderated.

Find out more about this board's House Rules

Search this Board

Live community panel

Our blog is the main place to go for all things Ouch! Find info, comment, articles and great disability content on the web via us.

Mat and Liz
Listen to our regular razor sharp talk show online, or subscribe to it as a podcast. Spread the word: it's where disability and reality almost collide.

More from the BBC

BBC Sport

Disability Sport

All the latest news from the paralympics.

Peter White

In Touch

News and views for people who are blind or partially sighted.

BBC Radio 4

You & Yours

Weekdays 12.40pm. Radio 4's consumer affairs programme.

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.