See Hear Talk  permalink

Ear infections.

This discussion has been closed.

• Message 1. 

Posted by cheesecloth (U13793516) on Friday, 1st July 2011

I wear in the ear hearing aids, but am troubled with ear infections. The latest one has been the worst & still is.

There is an operation I can have where they can remove the excess build up of crystals in my ears, thus returning my hearing to almost 100%.

Originally the doctor said it would be best to have the hearing aids & at the time I agreed, as any operation carries risks.

I am now seriously contemplating having the operation because these constant ear infections are unbearable.

I have had this ear infection 5 days now & it dosn't seem to be easing at all. I am taking antibiotics & painkillers, but these are causing me to be sick.

I have had very little to eat in the last 5 days & am feeling dizzy, with no energy.

Has anyone had this operation to remove excess calcium crystals that blocks out the hearing & if so was the operation a success.

Report message1

• Message 2

, in reply to message 1.

Posted by mateti (U4470931) on Friday, 1st July 2011

The dizziness you are getting is known as Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV) and the ear crystals (also known as otoconia) can be a cause of this.

I hope you have had lab tests to rule out any inner ear immune related infections or conditions before you subject yourself to any operation which is a drastic measure and should be used as a last resort.

Has your doctor recommended any physical therapy techniques such as the The Epley and Semont Maneuvers (‘google’ or ‘youtube’ it).

These techiniques use gravity to move the crystals away from the nerve endings into an area of the inner ear that won’t cause any problems. Ear crystals usually dissolve after a couple of weeks.

I’m currently suffering form a bout of meniere’s so the effects of dizziness, exhaustion and nausea are all symptoms I identify with and I know how horrid it is. ( I also have profound sensio-neural hearing loss and wear a hearing aid in that ear and a CI in my other ear)

I'm not certain that having an operation to remove the crystals are going to restore your hearing. Please do as much research as you can before you even entertain the thought of an operation on your ears - is it both ears or one ear?

Just one off the cuff question for you, how long have you had impaired hearing?

Hope you feel better soon.

Report message2

• Message 3

, in reply to message 2.

Posted by cheesecloth (U13793516) on Friday, 1st July 2011

I have had the impaired hearing for about 14 years. The crystals are in both my ears. The doctor has defined the condition as Otosclerosis. The doctor said that there was perfectly normal inner ear function & yet there's completely normal appearance on Otoscopy. The operation they would perform if I decided to go ahead with it is called a Stapedectomy.

They have said my hearing loss has become bilateral & symmetric & this was confirmed on tuning fork testing.

At the minute I can only wear one hearing aid as my left ear has closed up & to painful to touch, let alone put a hearing aid in.

If anyone ou there has had a Stapedectomy, has it worked for you.

Thank you in anticipation for any replies.

Report message3

• Message 4

, in reply to message 3.

Posted by mateti (U4470931) on Saturday, 2nd July 2011

To be honest cheesecloth I am unsure how having a Stapedectomy is going to help remove the crystals? So I'm a little confused. I hope I'm not confusing you even more... I've had friends who've had a Stapedectomy but that was because the ear bones has ossified. I just don't wish for you to be undergoing an operation that is uneccesary.

Report message4

• Message 5

, in reply to message 4.

Posted by cheesecloth (U13793516) on Saturday, 2nd July 2011

I am a little confused myself now. When you said you have friends who have had a Stapedectomy because the ear bones had ossified, that seems to ring a bell with me. From what I can remember the doctor said my bones had set, therefore were not accepting sounds.

The doctor said the bones in my ears should be able to vibrate, but they don't, does this make any sense?

I am going to have to go back to my GP & then he will refer me back to the hospital. I also don't wish to have to undergo an operation that may be uneccessary.

When I was first diagnosed & was told about the operation, having the operation didn't even come into the equasion, but now with these ear infections, I am having second thoughts.

Thank you for your replies.

Report message5

• Message 6

, in reply to message 3.

Posted by Safetyone (U14927466) on Friday, 8th July 2011

I had a Stapedectomy many year ago ,,,,Went in hospital with a little bit of hearing in my right ear had the opp .Lost all hearing in the right ear and ended up with tinnitus for the last 24 year...Now think twice when offered any surgery

Report message6

About this Board

The Ouch! messageboard has now closed. Messages you have posted will remain archived.

or register to take part in a discussion.

The message board is currently closed for posting.

To continue the conversation visit Ouch's blog (bbc.co.uk/ouch) - now part of BBC News. There you'll find our podcast, regular blog entries and articles, community events, and links to where you can find us on Facebook and Twitter.

This messageboard is reactively moderated.

Find out more about this board's House Rules

Search this Board

Live community panel

Our blog is the main place to go for all things Ouch! Find info, comment, articles and great disability content on the web via us.

Mat and Liz
Listen to our regular razor sharp talk show online, or subscribe to it as a podcast. Spread the word: it's where disability and reality almost collide.

More from the BBC

BBC Sport

Disability Sport

All the latest news from the paralympics.

Peter White

In Touch

News and views for people who are blind or partially sighted.

BBC Radio 4

You & Yours

Weekdays 12.40pm. Radio 4's consumer affairs programme.

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.