See Hear Talk  permalink

DLA question

This discussion has been closed.

• Message 1. 

Posted by pea (U2305816) on Monday, 20th June 2011

Well, after thinking about trying for DLA again I finally got round to going for the forms, made an appiontment with welfare rights then got hit with a bit of a shock. the guy said he wouldn't waste my time or more importantly his time filling it in if there's nothing wrong with me but being "deaf" (take note, his time it seems is more important than mine)

I thought deafness was classed as a disability? But, according to what this guy said to me today, "if all thats wrong with you is deafness then just bin the forms"

Report message1

• Message 2

, in reply to message 1.

Posted by ilovepink (U14315242) on Monday, 20th June 2011

Sounds like he could not be bothered to fill it in. Is welfare rights the same as CAB.

Report message2

• Message 3

, in reply to message 2.

Posted by AndyfromCornwall (U14342750) on Monday, 20th June 2011

I'm quite shocked. What an idiot!
    Of course deafness counts for DLA! That's what the State v. Halliday and State v. Mallinson cases were all about. This guy can't help you, he doesn't know enough about it.

If you search this forum for "DLA" you will find plenty of info here about how to go about it. It's essential that you have advice from someone who knows how to make a DLA application >for a deaf person<. It's speshul!

Report message3

• Message 4

, in reply to message 3.

Posted by pea (U2305816) on Tuesday, 21st June 2011

The trouble is if I go to the CAB I know they will tell me to go to this guy, catch 22! I've emailed action on hearing loss to see what they say. I'm not holding out any hope tho.

pea

Report message4

• Message 5

, in reply to message 4.

Posted by sweetpetal (U14379749) on Tuesday, 21st June 2011

Yes, Deafness does count towards DLA. However, the Deafness itself only contributes to a certain percentage of the award say, 70%, you will then need to prove another 30% which is the care element. Unless you can prove that you need care for your daily needs, such as being told about danger, cars on the road, alarms and so on you will not get DLA.

Report message5

• Message 6

, in reply to message 5.

Posted by pea (U2305816) on Tuesday, 21st June 2011

At least the guy could have tried. what he's saying is tho that deafness doesn't count at all.

Report message6

• Message 7

, in reply to message 2.

Posted by Sofie2 (U14259204) on Tuesday, 21st June 2011

Sounds like he could not be bothered to fill it in. Is welfare rights the same as CAB. 

No. Welfare rights is something within the council; CAB isn't. There may also be a DIAL (or DIAC) or a local hearing centre that may help with form filling.

Report message7

• Message 8

, in reply to message 1.

Posted by Daredevil (U14587881) on Tuesday, 21st June 2011

Where on earth do you live Pea , but still that shouldn't make any difference when making a claim for DLA with the Welfare to Rights People. That's disgraceful treatment, you should look to report it to whoever responsible for that failure to do their jobs and you shouldn't accept what they said regarding that deaf/hoh aren't entitled to DLA as we are!

I applied approx 12 years ago and had to fight a long battle to get it, and that was after going to a tribunal, where I had to respond to questions in relation to why I should be awarded DLA from a panel of professional people (who are independent of the benefits agency), it took in all at that first try 18 months to the award from my initial submission and it was for 5 years at the middle rate.

After the first 5 years were about to end I was sent a new application pack which after completion resulted in my application going to tribunal though this time in a shorter time frame, and again I was awarded the middle rate plus lower rate mobility rate, all again for 5 years.

Thus coming up for end of this five year period, I received the application pack again and again submitted it, only for this time not to go to tribunal but instead I was awarded it for life at the middle rate plus the low rate mobility rate!

Now the crucial point here is I sought out assistance and first went to my local deaf social services who at the time were based within the local deaf centre who in turn advised me to go to my local Welfare to Rights office who had the expertise in dealing with these sort of forms. I was assigned a person who took it on and was with me at the first tribunal where she opened my case and as it happened at the time the panel forced the questions over to me where by I ended up answering the questions on myself and must have worked as I was awarded it once it was over!

So who ever you saw Pea, doesn't know what they were talking about! There are others you can seek assistance from and that includes the CAB and social services as well as the local deaf community and online there's various sites where you can see how it is done.

Main thing when filling in a DLA form is remembering that every day things you do with out thinking as you've become accustomed to dealing with your hearing loss as a normal part of you and your everyday actions. Thus each and everyone of them you have to deconstruct them and state why you need help for them to do it as a normal person would without any aids,

ex. watching TV is the easiest to explain in that to follow speech on the shows, you require subtitles to be on, whereas a normal hearing person doesn't, so that's one aspect you would explain stating you require equipment that can record subs, making it an extra you have to seek when looking to buy appropriate equipment that can do it.

Going to the cinema is a similar requirement that you can only do so when they show subs, which is infrequent and might not happen near where you live. Or stage shows is another where it is limited.

In the house you can't hear the doorbell or knock thus require equipment that assists you to know there is someone at the door, flashing fire alarm is also another important element of help you need.

In all you have to consider all aspects of everyday living and how your hearing loss affects you in comparison to a hearing person and state why etc.

One thing is don't give up til you seen it through, despite what lies ahead for the DLA as it is currently we should always go for it!

Report message8

• Message 9

, in reply to message 8.

Posted by ilovepink (U14315242) on Tuesday, 21st June 2011

I get the same rate DLA as Daredevil for my hearing loss as well.

Report message9

• Message 10

, in reply to message 8.

Posted by lemurtail (U13885499) on Wednesday, 22nd June 2011

Daredevil, that is very helpful.

However, I was told it is pointless for me to apply for DLA simply BECAUSE I have all that equipment eg- flashing doorbell, vibrating/flashing smoke alarm, using subtitles to understand TV, etc and therefore my hearing loss is compensated for. I'm wondering if that is the argument which they'll always used. I've even been unable to claim travel expenses for my hearing-assistant when I've needed someone to help at compulsory Job Centre situations.

Report message10

• Message 11

, in reply to message 1.

Posted by sososo (U14311763) on Thursday, 23rd June 2011

Hi Pea
    If I was you I would report this guy, who does he think he is giving out this advice. Sounds like he is either jealous or he has been instructed to take this attitude when it comes to DLA Forms being filled in. This is outrageous.

Report message11

• Message 12

, in reply to message 10.

Posted by Sofie2 (U14259204) on Friday, 24th June 2011

What problems does being deaf cause you to need help from someone else? That's what DLA is based on. You need to explain the limitations of the equipment you have and /or about help needed to use the equipment.

Simply being deaf doesn't qualify you for DLA - it's the effects of being deaf that matters.

Just because someone told you that you don't qualify, doesn't mean you won't qualify.

Report message12

About this Board

The Ouch! messageboard has now closed. Messages you have posted will remain archived.

or register to take part in a discussion.

The message board is currently closed for posting.

To continue the conversation visit Ouch's blog (bbc.co.uk/ouch) - now part of BBC News. There you'll find our podcast, regular blog entries and articles, community events, and links to where you can find us on Facebook and Twitter.

This messageboard is reactively moderated.

Find out more about this board's House Rules

Search this Board

Live community panel

Our blog is the main place to go for all things Ouch! Find info, comment, articles and great disability content on the web via us.

Mat and Liz
Listen to our regular razor sharp talk show online, or subscribe to it as a podcast. Spread the word: it's where disability and reality almost collide.

More from the BBC

BBC Sport

Disability Sport

All the latest news from the paralympics.

Peter White

In Touch

News and views for people who are blind or partially sighted.

BBC Radio 4

You & Yours

Weekdays 12.40pm. Radio 4's consumer affairs programme.

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.