See Hear Talk  permalink

Text Phone for Business Advice

This discussion has been closed.

• Message 1. 

Posted by Jippers (U1364431) on Monday, 6th June 2011

Hi Guys..

It's been a very very very very long time... probably a few years I'd say but hi MM , Andy if you're around and anyone else I know.

I need to ask some advice, I'm half way there but would appreciate any direction anyone can send me in..bar back out the front door!

I've recently started working for a public body that deals with incoming calls quite frequently .. pretty much a call centre of sorts.. but not sales or anything like that.

I've raised a point about access and it's been agreed that there is a requirement, and I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with any set ups for a business environment, whether dedicated textphone or textphone software for windows based pc's.

Not asking people to do the groundwork but would be thankful ffor any advice and where possible what you'd expect in the form of customer care from a public body that deals with confidential information.

There is room for sms use, and email... but it's looking at a wider range of access than that.

Thanks in Advance

Jippers!

Report message1

• Message 2

, in reply to message 1.

Posted by Jippers (U1364431) on Wednesday, 8th June 2011

What ever happenned to these Forums, they used to be thriving!

Report message2

• Message 3

, in reply to message 2.

Posted by gammati (U14550922) on Wednesday, 8th June 2011

Its a pretty technical post.

You need to be more specific on what you actually provide at the moment, individual textphone number, email, sms are pretty common means of access already for some businesses.

I am currently trying to get my bank Barclays to provide sms access for reporting loss/theft of credit/debit cards just so they can issue a quick stop on them and start process of issuing new ones. Currently they only provide phone access so I would have to call them via TypeTalk, not feasible if I am on holiday.

Report message3

• Message 4

, in reply to message 2.

Posted by M M (U14200747) on Wednesday, 8th June 2011

They suffered the OUCH moderation, and we seem to have got rid of the idiots who made it lively, and exiled them to twitter thank god...

Report message4

• Message 5

, in reply to message 4.

Posted by AndyfromCornwall (U14342750) on Wednesday, 8th June 2011

Well helloooo!
    It's certainly a while since we saw you in here.
    Unfortunately the forum has declined a lot for various reasons but mainly because of the trend to FB and Twitter. Many people just followed the herd.

I am weathering a family crisis at the moment so I can't go on for too long but essentially you need to prepare a report showing the current state of affairs and pointing out where it falls short of the legal requirements. Note the bits that are mandatory.

It is then straightforward to suggest various means of fulfilling those requirements. It is a bit of a complicated business but the first step is to get somebody qualified to make the necessary report, then you can work forward from there.

Report message5

• Message 6

, in reply to message 5.

Posted by Jippers (U1364431) on Tuesday, 14th June 2011

Hey Guys,

It certainly has died down... social media I guess to a point was always going to have a severe blow. It's a shame to a point, to lose something so close to the program and an area for debate.. but in the wider picture there are a range of sites that just do the same if not better!

There is access to the necessary people Andy, and attached departments that can help along with it.. but on the basis of loose advice, no one being particularly connected to or involved with the deaf community.

Wish I could say who I work for but can't, Cornwall is small place.. might let you know by way of personal message, I think I still have your email about here somewhere...unsure.. don't have the old computer anymore... alots changed since we last spoke... a hell of a lot!

Left to sort out life priorities and to take a step back from the deaf community .

Speak soon hopefully!

Report message6

About this Board

The Ouch! messageboard has now closed. Messages you have posted will remain archived.

or register to take part in a discussion.

The message board is currently closed for posting.

To continue the conversation visit Ouch's blog (bbc.co.uk/ouch) - now part of BBC News. There you'll find our podcast, regular blog entries and articles, community events, and links to where you can find us on Facebook and Twitter.

This messageboard is reactively moderated.

Find out more about this board's House Rules

Search this Board

Live community panel

Our blog is the main place to go for all things Ouch! Find info, comment, articles and great disability content on the web via us.

Mat and Liz
Listen to our regular razor sharp talk show online, or subscribe to it as a podcast. Spread the word: it's where disability and reality almost collide.

More from the BBC

BBC Sport

Disability Sport

All the latest news from the paralympics.

Peter White

In Touch

News and views for people who are blind or partially sighted.

BBC Radio 4

You & Yours

Weekdays 12.40pm. Radio 4's consumer affairs programme.

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.