See Hear Talk  permalink

Deaf get the PIP

This discussion has been closed.

• Message 1. 

Posted by M M (U14200747) on Thursday, 12th May 2011

They will stop DLA/PIP if you can write ? even if you use a terp ? www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/...

Report message1

• Message 2

, in reply to message 1.

Posted by sweetpetal (U14379749) on Thursday, 12th May 2011

www.publications.par...

Read 401WH the deaf losing their DLA through being able to read is mentioned there. I did try to broach this subject a while ago when the PIPs was debated on this board. It is not just the Deaf, most claimants will lose their DLA. The whole system is designed to save the Government money. Even if by some mischance you do get through the system, and, retain your benefits, you will still need to have a yearly medical to prove that you are entitled to PIP. Is it worth the hassle?

Report message2

• Message 3

, in reply to message 2.

Posted by RoseRodent (U1896879) on Thursday, 12th May 2011

Yes, circular logic. If you can communicate with an interpretor then no money... so how do you pay for the interpreter so you *have* an interpreter to communicate via an interpreter?

Report message3

• Message 4

, in reply to message 3.

Posted by M M (U14200747) on Friday, 13th May 2011

They are homing in on the 'social' versus the 'official' support. The law says if you need support for 999 services/education, GP's etc then this has to be provide free at Point of Service. That law does not and has NEVER been extended to a deaf person's social or other daily life, e.g. meetings friends shopping whatever. So taken to ultimate logic they are complying with the law,which already 'provides' a free service, so why should they pay you ? They are not obliged to help you outside specific areas.

DLA was given to right that grey area, to recognise the difficulties not being able to hear impacted on your ability to 'get around' with the same ease hearing people do, again this was never really defined, so DLA was what, compensation ? Deaf now have to go back to law to get 'support' clearly defined and, EXTENDED outside the official area, we may get opposition from deaf people on that, the primary issue the is even IF you win that right, there are no terps to enable you, I see that issue as validation for DLA.

Deaf won't fight, they will go down. I am still fighting for my autistic son who had his withdrawn because the DWP says at age 16 his disability no longer exists, he no longer needs care etc.... this is despite 3 major agencies declaring differently, the DWP just blanks you.. I'll get DLA back and then intend suing the DWP.

Report message4

• Message 5

, in reply to message 4.

Posted by Tim (U14258428) on Friday, 13th May 2011

They're trying to save money by pretending that disabled people are not disabled; it's disgusting.

Report message5

• Message 6

, in reply to message 5.

True, try telling the deaf to get off their backsides and doing something about it, they are only disabled when it suits so leaving it to others to complain. There is no significant deaf lobby of any kind in the UK unless you count worried parents wondering how they can look after their disabled kids now subject to attacks and cuts too. There was a time the BDA and others were a force to be reckoned with and very strong equal rights, now there is nothing, but scaredy-cats frightened to rock the dependency boats.... Too little too late the tories will take them out anyway. Perhaps it is what deaf need, to be the underdog again ? It's true you have to be rock bottom before you can go up.... Personally I'd rather not wait that long.

Report message6

• Message 7

, in reply to message 6.

Posted by sweetpetal (U14379749) on Friday, 13th May 2011

I can't help, but, agree with you. I tried to educate my local Deaf Club when I was there a while ago. They had received a document from the Social Services telling them about the new PIP. However, I felt like I was wasting my time, because they said something (BSL) like its pointless worrying about it, we will just wait and see. I got the impression that they thought that because they were Deaf, then, they would get the PIP regardless. It doesn't work out that way. This new benefit will be harsher, and, the goal posts are being removed. As you can see it looks as if you can read instructions, use aids or adaptions to help yourself, then, you are in danger of losing your benefits. However, I think most Deaf will wait, bury their heads in the sand, go through the medical, then, be horrified when they realise that it won't be as straight forward as they think.

Report message7

• Message 8

, in reply to message 7.

They have a 'deaf wish' ! they'll soon start moaning when the money ceases to go in. Then they will be the 'poor disabled people suffering cruel cuts', but they will wait until then,and expect a social worker to sort it out..... I'm still betting 85% will not even take any notice, they didn't of the DDA and unaware of the latest equality laws too, it's total apathy and complacency, fine let them eat cake, but what about the rest of those more deserving ? my disabled child needs that financial support as do we to care for him. I couldn't care less a few arrogant deafies will lose beer money, I'm astounded they are so thick-skinned they cannot be chastised at all... What WILL it take to make them sit up ? (Answers on a postcard please).

I think I will launch a campaign to ban BSL and Lip-reading classes, send all deaf children to oral classes, and remove deaf clubs subsidised by tax payers. No more freebies....... no more disability money. Oops ! the tories pinched that idea....

Report message8

• Message 9

, in reply to message 8.

Posted by sweetpetal (U14379749) on Saturday, 14th May 2011

They have a 'deaf wish' ! they'll soon start moaning when the money ceases to go in. Then they will be the 'poor disabled people suffering cruel cuts', but they will wait until then,and expect a social worker to sort it out..... I'm still betting 85% will not even take any notice, they didn't of the DDA and unaware of the latest equality laws too, it's total apathy and complacency, fine let them eat cake, but what about the rest of those more deserving ? my disabled child needs that financial support as do we to care for him. I couldn't care less a few arrogant deafies will lose beer money, I'm astounded they are so thick-skinned they cannot be chastised at all... What WILL it take to make them sit up ? (Answers on a postcard please).

I think I will launch a campaign to ban BSL and Lip-reading classes, send all deaf children to oral classes, and remove deaf clubs subsidised by tax payers. No more freebies....... no more disability money. Oops ! the tories pinched that idea.... 
    I think its all too late now. On reading Hansard 12/5/11 Maria Miller was being grilled in the House of Commons over the transfer from DLA to PIP, and by the looks of things they are going to assess those with sensory impairments during the summer as a pilot scheme. Whether that means randomly picking a few hundred from different areas, or, what? I have no idea. The part that I am interested in is below.

We will then test the criteria over the summer, to ensure that they accurately and consistently assess individuals, and consider the impact of the assessment. As part of that testing, we will consider the impact of the assessment on specific impairment groups, such as those with mental health conditions, learning disabilities and sensory impairments. The exercise will provide a vital opportunity to learn, early on and without affecting customers’ current benefit claims, how the new assessment criteria will work on the ground. It will be a safe environment in which we can understand how the new assessment will work.

Report message9

• Message 10

, in reply to message 9.

Posted by Tim (U14258428) on Sunday, 15th May 2011

This started out with George Osborne declaring that he wants to cut DLA by 20%.

Note that this was before doing any test to find out anything, which means that, despite all the waffle and pantomime, this is purely about cutting.

They are just cooking up excuses to snatch DLA away from disabled people. The only question is who.

Report message10

• Message 11

, in reply to message 10.

Posted by M M (U14200747) on Sunday, 15th May 2011

Everyone basically ! They are saying that the interviews alone will save the DWP 30% a year, by scaring many vulnerable deaf into not claiming. The question is do we all now need legal aid to attend these interviews ? and is so, who pays ? It seem silly to challenge the deaf as they will obviously have to admit they need support by having to legally provide it to do the interview, how can they then say deaf don't need help ? Apparently by stating free support is available already and they aren't obliged to support you socially. I feel for those with nerve deafness long abused as fakes because the nature of that deafness is so random, they will home in on that as the person with nerve deafness is obviously an fraud. I recall when my nerve deafness was really bad prior to going totally deaf, I had no idea when or what I was going to hear, it wasn't made any easier by an odd 10 mins here and there I could follow something. Even my own parents didn't buy it !

Report message11

• Message 12

, in reply to message 11.

Posted by ilovepink (U14315242) on Sunday, 15th May 2011

it was good while it lasted

Report message12

• Message 13

, in reply to message 12.

Posted by M M (U14200747) on Sunday, 15th May 2011

The nerve deafness ? I get the point. Any sort of hearing was better than none when I had it.

Report message13

• Message 14

, in reply to message 13.

Posted by ilovepink (U14315242) on Sunday, 15th May 2011

The DLA MM

Report message14

• Message 15

, in reply to message 14.

Posted by M M (U14200747) on Monday, 16th May 2011

They have stopped your DLA ? I spoke to some parents of autistic children last week, 9 of then had DLA removed from their children and care allowances removed. No explanation other than they have to re-apply all over again, and council tax has shot up because without DLA, care allowances won't be paid (DLA MR only qualifies LR doesn't), and without care allowances Council tax help ends as well. Some people stand to lose 5 major benefits... It's important people understand this isn't just about DLA this is an major blitz on every benefit/allowance you are claiming. I'm still staggered absolutely deaf have not even noticed.... I Knew they lived in a closed area but this is ridiculous, we need every deafie on the street fighting their corner, because EVERY deaf person is claiming something. It's shameful they are leaving the other disabled to fight their corner...

Report message15

• Message 16

, in reply to message 15.

Posted by ilovepink (U14315242) on Monday, 16th May 2011

no i mean its good to get it while it lasted. the goverment are just going to do want they want no matter what anybody says.

Report message16

• Message 17

, in reply to message 16.

Posted by M M (U14200747) on Monday, 16th May 2011

Not if enough of us fight them. Disabled, vulnerable and elderly targeted, outnumber those who voted for the coalition. It needs then to stand up and be counted, it really is that simple. what went wrong is we sat on our bums at election time and they strolled in... Now lib-dems daren't leave, because they will be eliminated as an political party. They don't give a fig our sectors are attacked at all, it is pure self-preservation. They and the Tories are the most blatant hate abusers of the vulnerable since Thatcher...

Report message17

• Message 18

, in reply to message 17.

Posted by ilovepink (U14315242) on Monday, 16th May 2011

the students protested and it didnt do any good. it wont get back to normal until about is it four years when they are kicked out and is it Labour back in. the goverment now will just look out of there windows and say look at all those people protesting and say what we say goes.a bit like moderators on forums.

Report message18

• Message 19

, in reply to message 18.

Posted by M M (U14200747) on Tuesday, 17th May 2011

They are TRYING that is an major plus, and has to be welcomed, deaf aren't. There hasn't been ANY real campaign from the deaf since 2004/5 that was in support of Gallaudet, an AMERICAN university, and pulled less than 30 deafies. We need unity we need bums on seats feet on the march for those able, or to shut up.

Report message19

• Message 20

, in reply to message 19.

Posted by M M (U14200747) on Tuesday, 17th May 2011

The next step hopefully bringing Cameron and Clegg to court for human rights abuse. www.proudlockassocia...

Report message20

• Message 21

, in reply to message 20.

Posted by Tim (U14258428) on Tuesday, 17th May 2011

I'm glad legal action is starting - I hope that more will spring up. One problem is that you can't do so unless you are personally affected by cuts i.e you have to wait for the pain to start first.

The EHRC were supposed to ensure that the Treasury did a proper Equality Impact Assessment to ensure protected groups (e.g. disabled) were not disproportionately affected by the budgeting, but they are just dragging their heels and acquiescing big time. That didn't help them any - they are facing brutal cuts too. I suspect Trevor Phillips is looking after himself and nobody else.

Report message21

• Message 22

, in reply to message 19.

Posted by ilovepink (U14315242) on Wednesday, 18th May 2011

They are TRYING that is an major plus, and has to be welcomed, deaf aren't. There hasn't been ANY real campaign from the deaf since 2004/5 that was in support of Gallaudet, an AMERICAN university, and pulled less than 30 deafies. We need unity we need bums on seats feet on the march for those able, or to shut up.  did you tell me to shut up MM

Report message22

• Message 23

, in reply to message 22.

Posted by M M (U14200747) on Thursday, 19th May 2011

Certainly not smiley - smiley I was obviously referring to those deaf who are apathetic and complaining, but assume it is someone else's responsibility to fight their corner.... or, 'The law will provide...' They took plenty advantage from the old DDA Act yet took little or no part in it, they are quoting the new equality laws and again took little part in campaigning on that either. I was bounced down cell steps in Cardiff for lobbying on disabled access, I was the ONLY deaf person there. What many deaf are good at, is couch lobbying.... the net is alive to the text of deaf campaigns, not any viable percentage would step away from an computer and actually be seen doing anything. They are also adept at demeaning anyone that does....

Report message23

• Message 24

, in reply to message 23.

Posted by sweetpetal (U14379749) on Thursday, 19th May 2011

MM So, what do you suggest? I have had two failed spinal operations, can't stand for any length of time at all, nor, can I walk far. Being bounced down the steps wouldn't do me any good what so ever!! I have tried to educate the Deaf at my local club, but, to no avail. They are aware that I know a lot about the benefit system as I have worked for the Carer Disability and Pensions for years. However, when they ask me about PIP etc, they don't like the answers I give them! I can't see any hope really. If they do the pilot medicals for the transformation from DLA to PIP on those who have sensory disabilities first, then, we are doomed, as no one is prepared. We could start some sort of support group on this site for those who are interested. Apart from that, I can't think of anything else. do you have any other suggestions?

Report message24

• Message 25

, in reply to message 24.

Personally I lobby my PM and AM and post to the relevant Ministers. There are already a number of online campaigns 'Broken of Britain' to name just one who are very pro-active. We can only play to our strengths if we can't march we can write etc so long as we are adding numbers to the campaign. It's not over till its over, whilst it does seem the state is going to totally ignore anything we say or do, and get media backing to boot, they are not going to be able to do it easily. As I posted there is an possibility of legal action we can take too, tie them up in the courts with multiple court cases and 9 million of them !.

Same here you can't tell most deaf and they consider any allowance or benefit issues their support services can work out. They are deaf they can't do it, erm... they will HAVE to or see it go as for PIP they aren't alone in finding it hard to understand the basics are it will replace DLA and be VERY difficult to claim for, everyone is to be re-assessed and in person. They will have to really really prove deafness is an problem for them and cannot rely on any medical either. Automatic qualification via profound deafness will no longer apply...

Ok the DWP are going to say, PROVE IT.

Report message25

• Message 26

, in reply to message 25.

Posted by IanIlly (U8801543) on Thursday, 19th May 2011

For us, do you think would the best way be to use a palentypist or terp? They cost upwards of 200UKP min for 1/2 a day. So that is a cost there and then when you attend the 'assessment interview'.

And another thing, is it too much to expect SeeHear to do an investigative report on this? Sorry if I've missed one if already done but it just might give some a kick to get started on complaining about the removal of payments.

I have a feeling, having seen the BBC go down and down with regards to journalism on the main news progs, that they would be too scared to rock the boat.......wonder if this will get modded?

Report message26

• Message 27

, in reply to message 23.

Posted by ilovepink (U14315242) on Thursday, 19th May 2011

Certainly not smiley - smiley I was obviously referring to those deaf who are apathetic and complaining, but assume it is someone else's responsibility to fight their corner.... or, 'The law will provide...' They took plenty advantage from the old DDA Act yet took little or no part in it, they are quoting the new equality laws and again took little part in campaigning on that either. I was bounced down cell steps in Cardiff for lobbying on disabled access, I was the ONLY deaf person there. What many deaf are good at, is couch lobbying.... the net is alive to the text of deaf campaigns, not any viable percentage would step away from an computer and actually be seen doing anything. They are also adept at demeaning anyone that does....  Thats ok then smiley - smiley

Report message27

• Message 28

, in reply to message 26.

I'd choose palentype every time over an terp the only issue I have is finding it and getting it mobile. A lot of text support keeps you nailed to an computer screen and a chair. Access for access sign is no match if you are literate. I used palentype at an BDA open day, even the deaf there well used to an terp, marvelled at the detail and realised what they were missing. Lot's of geeky deafies suggest technology can hack it already, although I am not convinced. Basically there will never be enough terps anyway, it's time they got down to more accessible palentype... I know some terps in London want £300 an hour, not viable...... Palentype gives verbatim, terps don't.

Report message28

• Message 29

, in reply to message 27.

Posted by M M (U14200747) on Friday, 20th May 2011

Some progress here www.bbc.co.uk/news/m...

Report message29

About this Board

The Ouch! messageboard has now closed. Messages you have posted will remain archived.

or register to take part in a discussion.

The message board is currently closed for posting.

To continue the conversation visit Ouch's blog (bbc.co.uk/ouch) - now part of BBC News. There you'll find our podcast, regular blog entries and articles, community events, and links to where you can find us on Facebook and Twitter.

This messageboard is reactively moderated.

Find out more about this board's House Rules

Search this Board

Live community panel

Our blog is the main place to go for all things Ouch! Find info, comment, articles and great disability content on the web via us.

Mat and Liz
Listen to our regular razor sharp talk show online, or subscribe to it as a podcast. Spread the word: it's where disability and reality almost collide.

More from the BBC

BBC Sport

Disability Sport

All the latest news from the paralympics.

Peter White

In Touch

News and views for people who are blind or partially sighted.

BBC Radio 4

You & Yours

Weekdays 12.40pm. Radio 4's consumer affairs programme.

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.