See Hear Talk  permalink

TWTWTW

This discussion has been closed.

• Message 1. 

Posted by M M (U14200747) on Tuesday, 3rd May 2011

Deaf awareness week, THIS week, you in or out ?

Report message1

• Message 2

, in reply to message 1.

Posted by ilovepink (U14315242) on Wednesday, 4th May 2011

i didnt even know it was this week never saw anything about it anywhere

Report message2

• Message 3

, in reply to message 2.

Posted by M M (U14200747) on Wednesday, 4th May 2011

Leave it to the RNID eh !

Report message3

• Message 4

, in reply to message 3.

Posted by tishcat (U14708219) on Wednesday, 4th May 2011

Well i read some interesting figures today. Apparently there are 880 registered BSL interpreters serving a BSL using community of 70,000.
    Now maths is not a strong point for me so maybe this works out at 1 interpreter for every 70 BSL users.

Report message4

• Message 5

, in reply to message 4.

Posted by M M (U14200747) on Thursday, 5th May 2011

It's the wrong figures (RNID ? what do they know), The recognised figures were 1 per 300 deaf people, most of it post code driven, the terps congregate in the denser deaf areas of cites, so rural areas many get none at all. Not all terps work 1-1 on the street but at meetings, systems etc. Some transate for the system and don't translate direct (official info videos etc). We do not actually know how many are trained to the highest qualifications either.

I DO Know the NHS is using BSL translators with bare Stage 2, (Which would actually qualify me !), as are a number of other primary systems because they cannot afford the top trained BSL Interpreters. There is no system extant that can train up 70,000 BSL people or,proof 70,000 deaf need them. If you read various areas 70K is more like 90-100K myself I'd be surprised if there are 10K who require BSL on any daily translation basis, if so the educational system is crap.... and not helping is it ?

Effectiveness for late deafened is probably 90% with speech to text, I'd argue an educated deafie would find that too, as averse to BSL which is considerably less.. as it doesn't 'do' in-deprh detail at all well...

Report message5

• Message 6

, in reply to message 5.

Posted by tishcat (U14708219) on Thursday, 5th May 2011

And yet the demand is there. From trawling other sites i have constantly come across people saying they want to learn.
    There are deaf people out there who, rightly or wrongly, see BSL as the answer to not being able to understand speech. A way of being interpreted to, and giving them the ability to talk to other deafies.
    I applaud the BSL community for breaking through indifference and achieving what they have ,but it is just not accessible to many more.
    What is the answer? Mass BSL training perhaps?
    Problems mentioned a lot in learning are the sheer cost involved and the lack of people to practice with.
    I managed to get hold of a recording of an old SEE HEAR programme that showed the basics of learning BSL and i think they ought to update it and make a new one. It could fuel interest in joining organised lessons and de-mystify a lot of the misunderstandings about the language

Report message6

• Message 7

, in reply to message 6.

Posted by AndyfromCornwall (U14342750) on Thursday, 5th May 2011

The problem has always been, and still is, that people talk up a storm about coming to classes but when it actually comes to bums being on seats it doesn't happen. Leaving organisers sad, disillusioned and above all out of pocket.

Report message7

• Message 8

, in reply to message 7.

Posted by tishcat (U14708219) on Thursday, 5th May 2011

My sympathies go to the many people who have made an effort. It is easy to point out what is wrong but harder to propose a solution.
    Just out of interest, if See Hear is the programme for the 9 million deaf/hoh then do 9 million people watch it?
    And if not? Why not?
    Just playing the numbers game again.

Report message8

• Message 9

, in reply to message 6.

Posted by M M (U14200747) on Friday, 6th May 2011

I think the demand is from activists not grass roots. Predominantly most have their support in place already and this isn't official BSL interpreters but friends family and using other means. This right was backed by all deaf organisations for years as essential because no BSL terps were available, now that there is an increase in them, they can't get the deaf to switch.

I am against mass BSL training, not least because en-mass deaf don't USE BSL. It's old news and old ground but no-one has produced any statistic based on fact of how many actually do or, where they are. The BDA like the RNID/UKCoD pluck these figures out of the air, think of a number double-it whatever...... 70K whatever that is DEAF people not SIGNING deaf people. Deaf sign, end of, and that sign is BSL, they made a rod for their own back in not recognising total communication as THE primary road to go down. TC recognises all deaf are NOT The same, TC is the main means of education, TC also is about real awareness, BSL isn't, they still go their own way and ignore everyone else. It's why those deaf are still isolated.

As Cornishandy and others have pointed out even IF you learn BSL you would have to make an real and dedicated attempt to meet the deaf and interact with them, prepared to be rebuffed if you get too close, it's not just about sign but if you meet people who use it and prepared to accept it is not learn BSL and you're in....

Report message9

• Message 10

, in reply to message 9.

Posted by tishcat (U14708219) on Monday, 9th May 2011

Apparently there is a local deaf society serving the area i live in.

Great. Now i can ask what's availlable as an adult learner if you are deaf and how i can sort out loop systems and communication support, along with any concessions i might be entitled to being disabled.
    i can find out what support there is for me if i struggle at work.
    i could find out times of subtitled cinema showings, whether i am entitled to a bus pass, what sort of benefit am i entitled to,where i could find psychological support specifically geared to my needs, what tech is availlable to help me, where my nearest BSL or lipreading lessons are, which charities offer which services,, wether there are any training courses availlable for me, what effect it would have on my income, the list goes on....
    I am so happy. I will contact them as soon as i can

Report message10

• Message 11

, in reply to message 10.

Posted by M M (U14200747) on Tuesday, 10th May 2011

Your local deaf society has all THAT nous ? wow !! You won't forget us little people once you are in will you smiley - smiley Learning sign is only a start you still have to establish yourself as part of what this deaf society represents, it is the issue that defeated me, and I CAN sign. Do I WANT to be part of it ? My Need was to try to re-establish myself with the hearing mainstream as I really need to find an place in that not just for myself but my child, I really could not afford the immersion approach, too much to lose...

Report message11

• Message 12

, in reply to message 11.

Posted by tishcat (U14708219) on Tuesday, 10th May 2011

i've had a bad day, mostly cos of toothache, so i didn't manage to get downtown to the deaf society offices,
    Among lots of other questions, i was wondering about work.
    I have had really bad experiences in the past of trying to even think up which job would be suitable for me, finding a job and ultimately keeping said job. Once i have been working, my colleagues have often decided that struggling to cope with a fellow worker who is deaf, is beyond what should be expected of their working day and i have had to put up with, often quite nasty behaviour.
    Is it possible to sign off as unfit for work thru disability when that disability is deafness?
    Kudos to those who work but, i found the whole experience took a toll on my health and eventually signed off as depressed.

Report message12

• Message 13

, in reply to message 12.

Posted by M M (U14200747) on Wednesday, 11th May 2011

Don't fancy your chances tishcat, in reality most deaf would be opposed to the view we shouldn't be at work if we deaf. As far as bullying and an reluctance to accept a deaf co-worker, once you understand this is an universal law of working in mainstream you can adapt yourself to suit.

What you need (And 70K other deaf looking for a job), is an assertion class, where you can stand your own ground alone, I found confidence and a fair dollop of sheer bloody-mindedness worked for me. There is no bright spot, people are cat and dog and if they can get ahead by using you as a stepping stone they will. The workplace is for hearing people not deaf ones, so you have to have an edge really, giving up on work because of bullying others is not the way forward, talk to your boss and get them sorted out, if he won't sort HIM out, there are laws to stop this sort of thing.

Part of the problem is deaf insecurity and difficulty communicating to hearing people, you sit in a corner and stay there, hearing then think you don't want to know them or something. It took me 4 years to stop doing that, then I just dived in at the deep end, what was the point isolating myself ? Next time try to join in, they will already know you are deaf, play it cool do NOT get upset if someone laughs, it may not be you they are laughing at.

I tried it and the first two weeks put up with merciless teasing and jokes played on me because I didn't understand/hear something said. This is a crucial time, do NOT lose faith and retire, stand your ground, laugh at yourself even. I made a few friends afterwards hearing, and went to the pub with them concerts etc and they all made sure I was included. Some didn't but hey, there will always be those. It is vital at early stages you don't give up, or you can't get back. Far from being negative about hearing people I found surprisingly some wanted to help me out but didn't know how to approach that without offending me so left me to it, it wasn't an deliberate act of ignoring the deafie.

Report message13

• Message 14

, in reply to message 13.

Posted by tishcat (U14708219) on Wednesday, 11th May 2011

Some very positive and useful advice there MM.
    Before i got the computer ALL this info and advice was non existent to me and i had to make do with nothing, zilch, nada in the way of support.
    Now, apparently they are going to reduce that nothing to minus nothing cos of the cuts on the ground.
    Thank God for my computer

Report message14

About this Board

The Ouch! messageboard has now closed. Messages you have posted will remain archived.

or register to take part in a discussion.

The message board is currently closed for posting.

To continue the conversation visit Ouch's blog (bbc.co.uk/ouch) - now part of BBC News. There you'll find our podcast, regular blog entries and articles, community events, and links to where you can find us on Facebook and Twitter.

This messageboard is reactively moderated.

Find out more about this board's House Rules

Search this Board

Live community panel

Our blog is the main place to go for all things Ouch! Find info, comment, articles and great disability content on the web via us.

Mat and Liz
Listen to our regular razor sharp talk show online, or subscribe to it as a podcast. Spread the word: it's where disability and reality almost collide.

More from the BBC

BBC Sport

Disability Sport

All the latest news from the paralympics.

Peter White

In Touch

News and views for people who are blind or partially sighted.

BBC Radio 4

You & Yours

Weekdays 12.40pm. Radio 4's consumer affairs programme.

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.