See Hear Talk  permalink

mental health and deafness

This discussion has been closed.

• Message 1. 

Posted by tishcat (U14708219) on Friday, 11th February 2011

i have had mental health issues in the past. Although they weren't connected to my disability, the extra stress of not hearing well did not help.Does anyone think that their overall mental health has been affected by their deafness?
    I realise that it can be a taboo subject but honesty, i believe is important, in dealing with what can be an extra disability

Report message1

• Message 2

, in reply to message 1.

Posted by tishcat (U14708219) on Saturday, 12th February 2011

i blame a lot of my problems on never being able to afford to sign. I even met a psychiatrist once at the John Denmark Unit at Prestwich and he agreed. Unfortunately, my GP at the time would not fund me lessons as it was too expensive. Why are they too expensive?

Report message2

• Message 3

, in reply to message 2.

Posted by M M (U14200747) on Sunday, 13th February 2011

The tale of the acquired deaf... never changes does it ? I'm unsurprised most AD's don't end up with rubber wallpaper personally. There is so much ignorance about it is mind-boggling,by far the MOST ignorant are those who purport to be deaf aware and plug it, dangerous and uniformed amateurs mostly.

Death of a major sense = trauma, untreated trauma can lead to poor mental health, it's not rocket science even for us poor laymen. Could be worse you could be born deaf (!) and put up with the witch doctors they do... I'm surprised born deaf aren't ALL in treatment centres somewhere, as someone who had personal experience in assisting a deaf woman to seek mental health support, the only advice I could offer after seeing what she got, was to forget it, at best NOT attempt to use the deaf psychiatric route.

Many psychiatrists were arrogant, bad signers, assumed they know it all and talked to deaf support rather than the deaf patient. A leading London deaf psychiatrist was a prime example (I can't name him without a libel suit), but his sign was total pants, he ignored the patient complaints she couldn't follow him, and I was frankly amazed he was viewed a leading light in deaf psychiatry with 4 major books as well !

What a plonker and obviously NO help to deaf patients because his sign skills and attitude was rubbish. Acquired deaf MUST push for their own need because no-one else is going to do it. Do NOT Assume a sign knowledge will cure a mental illness either, that only works IF the cause is isolation and, you are prepared to integrate into a deaf world. You have to decide where you want to be first, not think sign is a cure all.

It may well not suit you if your primary 'culture' is hearing, there will always be conflict. I've done so much to highlight AD's support being buried and ignored, nobody is prepared tolisten, and the charities are the WORST at raising these issues because they are concerned only with politics. I do not want to read another charitable blurb that starts "Deaf with a big D are, and deaf with a small d are..." EVER again, it is guaranteed to get my back up certainly, sorry, do not want to know about this...

Report message3

• Message 4

, in reply to message 3.

Posted by tishcat (U14708219) on Sunday, 13th February 2011

i think it's perfectly normal to grieve for the loss of a sense. Even if you are born that way, the world reminds you that you are somehow different or missing something.
    However, if that grieving process becomes such that it makes a serious impact on your wellbeing, then you need to do something about it. It's not all medication, Coping strategies and just venting yourself of your frustrations in a healthy way can help.
    Some people benefit from learning relaxation techniques, others from a "break" from day to day stresses. Thats why a holiday is a good thing.
    i read on facebook, a woman saying that through being involved with a deaf page she had realised that she wasn't alone in her struggles and took heart from the support and shared wisdom there.
    Heres to the future. Better tech, better meds and good mental health. Thank you for replying.

Report message4

• Message 5

, in reply to message 4.

Posted by AndyfromCornwall (U14342750) on Sunday, 13th February 2011

Speaking of deafened people, I have been pointed to this site by an old school chum...

http://www.nadp.org.uk/

Report message5

• Message 6

, in reply to message 5.

I've had the link up years, what for I still am not sure ! I can't see they have done ANYTHING since they were formed at all. LINK was perhaps the sole area that recognised what the issue is, but they got infiltrated by signers and Hearing concern (An misnomer in terms !), and sold out to the myth of 'deaf and hearing impaired'. What cobblers, no such sectors....

Nothing less than psychiatric support, counselling, and a year-long dedicated and integrated communication tuition is going to be of any help at all, as to date NONE of this is extant, there must be loads of AD's who are ga-ga by now (But why ask me I'm a Giraffe....) .... By sheer neglect. We should be suing the ass of the NADP/RNID et al for failing to do their job, and for false claims of support. It's our lives being destroyed by this awful disablement.

Losing hearing you lose the impetus to self lobby as well. Coping strategies lol what are they ? Begging cultural deaf to help out ? Blind leading the blind.... If you have a broken leg would you see a vet ? Only if you are a horse. Tishcat don't beg, DEMAND ! They get money for doing nothing, time they earned it. Why isn't LINK a nation-wide set up ? and free from RNID/HC interferences ? Why are we even BOTHERING to utilise services designed for a different issue ?

I have never understood why AD's are not out there causing total mayhem to get their rights, it can only be, because they are so deprived of access and support they aren't able, or worse capitulated to total depression.

Report message6

• Message 7

, in reply to message 6.

Suffice to say the BDA, NADP and RNID's 1 in 7, have REFUSED to print our concerns... no-one cares. Those of us who stick their heads up are then called whiners..... get a grip, whatever... sound familiar ? We don't need hearing ignorance, the pseudo-deaf have enough for everyone.....

Report message7

• Message 8

, in reply to message 7.

Posted by tishcat (U14708219) on Sunday, 13th February 2011

Sorry MM but i'm off down the bingo for a bit of....well bingo.
    We're having it in aid of the CLARK DENMARK UNIT at Prestwich, we hope to get at least 6 OAPs there.
    Wonder if i said that in under 300 words...lol

Report message8

• Message 9

, in reply to message 8.

I think his number came up a while ago lol.... is he saving up for a hairpiece ...?

Report message9

• Message 10

, in reply to message 9.

Posted by tishcat (U14708219) on Monday, 14th February 2011

i have contacted the Editor of the RNID's 1 in 7 magazine to offer to talk about my experiences struggling to cope with stress related issues caused by my deafness.
    I have suffered eating disorders, anxiety attacks, scary thoughts and had a serious drink problem. I have now been teetotal for 13 years AND enjoy every minute of my life. This thanks to the excellent level of service i have received from the mental health services.
    If i am the ONLY deafie in the world to have experienced things like this, i would be very surprised. Please , add to my voice that it is recognised that hearing loss can cause serious stress related problems

Report message10

• Message 11

, in reply to message 1.

Posted by dee (U14786258) on Monday, 14th February 2011

hi,this is my first ever post of any kind.
    i got severe hearing loss last year,so all of this is pretty new for me.
    i just came across this site today. i feel so happy thai have. for me it;s been a case of "here,s your hearing aids, see you again soon"
    i don't know anyone with ahearing loss,so have not spoken to anyone,but i am a different person these days.
    i am grieving my loss,but ive been trying to convince myself that i am being ott.after reading this and the replys,i now realise that im not.when i'v tried telling my doc how i felt.i dont think he actually listened, my confidence is zero.i do anything to avoid having to talk to anyone i dont already know
    iv'e had my hearing aid for just 5 days,i was fitted for 2,but the sound in 1 ear was so distorted,i can only use the one.this is also my second set of moulds and its pinching.
    i now realise,thanks to all you guys ,that ive alot learn.

regards to all

dee

Report message11

• Message 12

, in reply to message 11.

Posted by AndyfromCornwall (U14342750) on Monday, 14th February 2011

Welcome aboard.
    Maybe not the company you thought you would ever keep but at least we can assure you it's not the end of the world. It takes a long time to get used to hearing aids, six months is not unusual and even longer to get the best out of them.
    Don't get discouraged, because they do sound odd to begin with!
    Any questions, you know where we are!

Report message12

• Message 13

, in reply to message 12.

Posted by tishcat (U14708219) on Tuesday, 15th February 2011

thankyou for your reply Dee. Yes, it is scary isn't it having to adjust and being worried that you are unemployable, that you might have problems forming a relationship and no-one seems to listen. You turn on the telly and some bloke is talking about how you have somehow gained a "culture" instead of an emotionally crippling disability.
    I had a serious alcohol problem for years and frequent crying fits, i even felt suicidal.
    Thankfully i realised that i had to ask for help and thank God, i received that help. I have been teetotal now for 13 years and cope well with support. Thankyou again for making me realise i am not alone

Report message13

• Message 14

, in reply to message 13.

Posted by M M (U14200747) on Tuesday, 15th February 2011

Best of luck with your request to post at 1 in 7 lol they e-mailed me and said no way without them strictly editing what I might say smiley - smiley Try "But for the brilliant help the RNID gave me... " as a start point, can't fail.... they might even give you a series....

Report message14

• Message 15

, in reply to message 11.

Posted by djchur (U13916790) on Tuesday, 15th February 2011

Dee,

If one of your hearing aids sounds distorted then take it back and ask them to adjust it. It can sometimes take several adjustments to get the best sound out of them. They will never sound like natural hearing but they should be able to provide you with some benefit.

Wearing hearing aids does take a lot of getting used to, I've had them since childhood, but even now when I have new ones it takes a while to get used to a different quality of sound. The best strategy is to persist and wear them constantly, and if you do have problems take them back to the audiologists and tell them about it.

Report message15

• Message 16

, in reply to message 15.

Posted by tishcat (U14708219) on Friday, 25th February 2011

Well its been a week or so since i posted this and the world has not fallen apart. I am still waiting to hear from 1 in 7 but am also still waiting for an RNID T shirt....
    I'll keep you posted as to which turns up first...lol
    The problem, as i see it, is that resources have been wrongly targetted at a small minority of people who have had the mistaken belief that they have a miraculous ability in being able to spout gibberish in under 300 signs. And at an impressive rate.
    The only "cure" for deafness is being able to hear. Great strides have been made in technology and I for one have benefitted greatly.
    I have been watching sign extra with great interest and it has been a depressing experience seeing terps struggling with terms such as "global capitalism" or "runaway hyper-inflation"
    The time has come to concentrate resources on those who truly need it. and are willing to benefit from them, instead of pumping money into deadends and outdated ideas.
    I am not a deafie basher, just a realist who is sick of being represented by idiots both on tv and in the mainstream deaf press. If they were truly honest they would subtitle all signing exactly as it is signed. Then the 9 million majority would see exactly what is being said in their name.

Report message16

• Message 17

, in reply to message 16.

Posted by AndyfromCornwall (U14342750) on Friday, 25th February 2011

Are you sure that RNID got your message? It is possible that they did not, because there seems to be a problem with their mailbox.
    I have been trying to get through to them for some time only to discover that some of my messages are just not arriving. They are aware of the problem but it might still be going.

Report message17

• Message 18

, in reply to message 17.

Posted by M M (U14200747) on Friday, 25th February 2011

Tell tishcat to sign the e-mail 'MM' they will flag it up in less than an hour ! I recall posting to the RNID regarding the love-ins on Twitter, naturally they refused to put my contribution up, but it was noted in hours. What on EARTH would anyone want with an RNID T-Shirt ? (Why not just paint a target on your back lol).... I wouldn't wear it to a deaf club....

Report message18

• Message 19

, in reply to message 18.

Posted by tishcat (U14708219) on Friday, 25th February 2011

the t shirt is just a red herring.
    What i actually want is a million quid but the RNID are too canny to give me it .
    I am going to try denying that i have a disability and maybe say that my hearing aids are a status symbol.
    If that doesn't work its back to the bingo!

Report message19

• Message 20

, in reply to message 19.

Posted by M M (U14200747) on Friday, 25th February 2011

I'm appalled Ballard has been invited to the' HUB' (BSLBTV) again to justify why she took the D out of RNID. Perhaps trying to catch 'em young ? I cannot understand why the HUB would offer this person air time on an BSL show to push their anti-deaf hype, and who rejected and medical the culture these children are part of....

We want this person on SH faced with her detractors, the REAL ones not hiding on twitter or at featherstone ST, or nipping out the back door of the BBC AM program to avoid deaf people. SH couldn't nail this person down with specifics, do they expect a child will ?

Tishcat I prefer the red herring lol.... the RNID do a brilliant set up of them....

Report message20

• Message 21

, in reply to message 20.

Posted by tishcat (U14708219) on Saturday, 26th February 2011

SEX!!!!!

Now i have your attention can i just ask if anyone agrees with me that deafness should be classed as a disability and not as a linguistic minority or any of the other buzzwords going round?
    We, as deafies are famous for commenting on the lot of the blind. Is that because they are allowed, i assume, to sign on as disabled without fear of not being taken seriously?
    As far as i am aware it is not possible to cheat on a hearing test and besides, the sticky back brigade are all claiming for depression. Which is a shame if you genuinely have this terrible disease.
    I'm all for deafies working but personally i don't work cos the stress involved is too much for me to cope with.

Report message21

• Message 22

, in reply to message 21.

Posted by M M (U14200747) on Saturday, 26th February 2011

SEX!!!!!

Now i have your attention can i just ask if anyone agrees with me that deafness should be classed as a disability and not as a linguistic minority or any of the other buzzwords going round?
    We, as deafies are famous for commenting on the lot of the blind. Is that because they are allowed, i assume, to sign on as disabled without fear of not being taken seriously?
    As far as i am aware it is not possible to cheat on a hearing test and besides, the sticky back brigade are all claiming for depression. Which is a shame if you genuinely have this terrible disease.
    I'm all for deafies working but personally i don't work cos the stress involved is too much for me to cope with. 
    Of course you can cheat on hearing tests, mainly because no-one will set a norm on what constitutes being deaf. Online 80% of deaf activists can hear something and wear aids ! Most who attack here and elsewhere are NOT Deaf, you go to their twitter or FB sites they are talking about music, radio and whatever, deafies do NOT do that ! Either you are deaf or you aren't that's my view. Once you fiddle around with degree its a lost cause. Born deaf have it far easier than those that acquire it, and those with severe hearing loss probably the worst off of them all, I cannot really see what 'cultural deaf' have to complain ABOUT, they are still the best served with poor hearing loss in near all respects. If we insist profound deafness MUST be tested properly then 80% will NOT qualify, either as deaf PEOPLE< or as cultural deaf.

Testing gave way to perception, and lifestyles years ago.

Report message22

• Message 23

, in reply to message 22.

Posted by tishcat (U14708219) on Saturday, 26th February 2011

re cheating on hearing tests:

the entire process is repeated several times so you would have to remember exactly when you were supposed say "yes" on each and every frequency.
    An american girl on another site complained that when she was tested the noises were so loud they gave her a headache, and she failed...assume what you will.
    As for being completely deaf, this is testable by medical means such as measuring the brains response to sound, etc.
    I am really amazed at how you cope going from being a hearing person to total deafness. This is scary stuff.
    Personally i would clamour for an option such as CI or an internal aid.
    Having said that, the lot of even the moderately deaf is not an easy one by any means. You are still expected to miraculously be able to "hear" which is of course , the problem in the first place.
    Helen Keller said that blindness cut her off from things but deafness cut her off from people. Its not the music or birdsong,etc that is my issue, it is human conversation.

Report message23

• Message 24

, in reply to message 23.

Posted by M M (U14200747) on Sunday, 27th February 2011

Days of yore the hearing tests were completely a lottery. The ENT tests were very unreliable only picking out those almost totally deaf, which anyone could have done without equipment ! In schools you had a medical before you left to start work, the school Dr passed me A1 for hearing despite me not hearing most of what he said. Even when a nurse said "He doesn't appear to be hearing what is said..." the Dr stated "It's these young boys, they never listen...." I started work 3 months later, and was failed hearing wise in minutes, 50% and 30% hearing at age 15. Even going from 1st to last place class position in 1 term was put down to me, being 'disinterested' in school, which got me the cane 3 or 4 times a week as well.

They will find a cure one day no doubt or at least an more effective way to follow sound. Then these boards will be redundant lol...

Report message24

About this Board

The Ouch! messageboard has now closed. Messages you have posted will remain archived.

or register to take part in a discussion.

The message board is currently closed for posting.

To continue the conversation visit Ouch's blog (bbc.co.uk/ouch) - now part of BBC News. There you'll find our podcast, regular blog entries and articles, community events, and links to where you can find us on Facebook and Twitter.

This messageboard is reactively moderated.

Find out more about this board's House Rules

Search this Board

Live community panel

Our blog is the main place to go for all things Ouch! Find info, comment, articles and great disability content on the web via us.

Mat and Liz
Listen to our regular razor sharp talk show online, or subscribe to it as a podcast. Spread the word: it's where disability and reality almost collide.

More from the BBC

BBC Sport

Disability Sport

All the latest news from the paralympics.

Peter White

In Touch

News and views for people who are blind or partially sighted.

BBC Radio 4

You & Yours

Weekdays 12.40pm. Radio 4's consumer affairs programme.

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.