See Hear Talk  permalink

Wearer or User?

This discussion has been closed.

• Message 1. 

Posted by AndyfromCornwall (U14342750) on Sunday, 23rd January 2011

Do you wear your hearing aid or do you use one? That is the question.

I keep reading "X wears a hearing aid" when I would rather see "X uses a hearing aid".

I do not like to read "wear" because it makes hearing aids sound like clothing or jewellery, which they are not. In fact they seem to be designed with no eye for aesthetics at all. Mind you, at £4000 a CI is more expensive than many diamond necklaces. But much more useful!
    We are hearing aid users. And while we are at it, it's a hearing aid, not a deaf aid. It aids your hearing, it doesn't help you to be deaf!

[/rant]

Report message1

• Message 2

, in reply to message 1.

Posted by tishcat (U14708219) on Sunday, 23rd January 2011

Ah. The pitfalls of language.
    As a hearing aid "user" will i have to stand up at meetings and admit to my "use"?
    Will people nod sympathetically at me and say that i should cut down?
    Tell me Tishcat, how long have you been dependent on hearing aids?
    I suppose i will have to come clean and cut down on my habit ( i wear two aids and go thru a scary amount of batteries ).
    Glad i am feeling happy these days instead of gay. No offence.

(RANT RANT)

Report message2

• Message 3

, in reply to message 1.

Posted by ilovepink (U14315242) on Sunday, 23rd January 2011

i say i wear a hearing aid it dosent matter if you use one you still wear it on your ear Andysmiley - smiley

Report message3

• Message 4

, in reply to message 3.

Posted by RoseRodent (U1896879) on Monday, 24th January 2011

I wear them, cos I also wear glasses. It's context-dependent for me, it seems, although I'd never realised it. If we are talking about hairstyles I say I can't do this and that because I wear hearing aids, if I am choosing some new glasses I choose a frame that will work well for me considering I also wear hearing aids, but if I am in a disabled student assessment and we are talking about my hearing then I *use* two hearing aids. If I am talking about them in the context of something that helps me hear then I use them, if I am talking about them being in the way or any other aspect of them hanging from my ears then I wear them.

I think it would be a bit clumsy to say it's annoying not to be able to lie on my side and watch TV because I "use" hearing aids. It's not cos I use them that they are in the way, it's cos I wear them. If I could do as many CI users (see now I'm back to using!) do and change for a long coil and stick the BTE unit elsewhere then I'd totally go for that, but tubing doesn't come that long. I hope that the RITE market, where tube length does not massively impact sound quality, will come with an option to buy a 20cm receiver tube.

Report message4

• Message 5

, in reply to message 4.

Posted by djchur (U13916790) on Monday, 24th January 2011

Rose, I'm interested to know what kind of hairstyle you can't have because you 'use' HAs?

I've used HAs since 1971 and had my hair long, short and every length inbetween over the years. I've also worn it both up in a pony tail and hanging loose and my HAs have never got in the way.

The only time when hairstyles have been an issue for me was when I was a little kid and my mum used to tell the hairdresser to cut my hair so as to hide my HAs. Is that the sort of thing you mean?

Now that I am older I think my mum was wrong about trying to hide my HAs and I now tend to wear my hair short with the HAs very visible.

I also wear glasses as well as large superpower HAs and don't have a problem with that either, maybe it's because I'm just so used to them.

Report message5

• Message 6

, in reply to message 4.

Posted by withears (U14762976) on Monday, 24th January 2011

Hi Rose,
    I wear my hearing aids and am glad that people can see them. I have large BTE's with large moulds (or is that molds). When I say sorry I did not get that, and turn my head a little they spot them and (most of the time) people will then speak more clearly thus reducing my stress level from trying to make out what the person said. I wonder what Benjamin Franklin felt like when he donned the first pair of glasses in public...?

Report message6

• Message 7

, in reply to message 6.

Posted by AndyfromCornwall (U14342750) on Monday, 24th January 2011

I long ago stopped worrying what people thought of my hearing aids. It's easier for people to guess that I can't hear very well when I have an aid dangling from each lughole. My CI is black, just for a change of colour.

The first pair of glasses was invented long before the United States was even discovered.

Report message7

• Message 8

, in reply to message 7.

Posted by RoseRodent (U1896879) on Tuesday, 25th January 2011

I'm not remotely bothered who can see my hearing aids, in fact I am annoyed they are less visible than the previous ones. I wish I could have red, zebra print or transparent purple instead of beige, I've tried every which way to make them stand out a bit more so people will see them. Flashing lights and bells on wouldn't go amiss, and I am still experimenting with different dyes to colour the new tubes.

No, I meant more in terms of that the terrible design of the Siemens Reflex audioshoes means my hair catches in them and breaks the connections and breaks my hair, but more so that I find it difficult to *get* my hair into certain ways because I am working around my hearing aids. I don't think "styles" is the correct word I am after, more the constant maintenance of pushing your hair back behind your ears all day long if you wear it loose or have certain types of fringes. I cut a long drapey fringe into my hair and then found every time I touched it it was wrapped around my hearing aids and pulled on everything (again probably a joint problem with the audioshoes and general clumsy hands) and/or I hit the volume and program buttons. I got annoyed with trying to get my hair straight and then spending ages trying to rebalance my volume wheels back where they started so I pinned my hair back up again. Bearing in mind I have hair down longer than my backside, if it gets wrapped around something it *really* gets wrapped around it! I prefer my hair all tied up then it doesn't get looped around the tubes or stuck in the buttons.

The glasses thing is related to my EDS and the skin problems, if there is weight touching certain parts of my ear, particularly the "join" between the pinna and the side of the head, things go through the skin. I used to have infection after infection because my hearing aid elbows would embed into the skin at the top of my ear, so I have to be very careful about my choice of glasses and hearing aid, if the glasses push the hearing aid into that position it will saw a hole in me. It doesn't happen to people with normal skin, the skin pushes up on the hearing aid instead of the aid pushing down into the skin.

Report message8

• Message 9

, in reply to message 8.

Posted by djchur (U13916790) on Tuesday, 25th January 2011

Rose,

Thanks for your response, I appreciate what you mean now about the hair and glasses issue. I too use audio shoes on my Siemens Reflex DSPs, but as my hair has been short for ages I don't have the same problem with hair getting caught up in them.

As for people not noticing your HAs, I'm amazed at how many people just don't seem to see them. Mine are really quite large, and even more so with fm receivers on, and my hair is short, you'd think they would stick out like a sore thumb, but apparently not. Either that or the fact that most hearing people seem to think that they completely correct my deafness and therefore make no allowances when they speak to me, which can be very frustrating at times!

Report message9

• Message 10

, in reply to message 9.

Posted by tishcat (U14708219) on Tuesday, 25th January 2011

I am so glad i'm in the company of people who take pride in their hearing aids.
    I have a friend.
    No, really, its not me, its a friend.
    Who is to cool to wear even 1 aid. He is scared that people will treat him differently if he wears one. So he goes around, not only really stressed all the time, but wasting his life cos we all know he's deaf.
    Shocking and a waste.
    What can i do to encourage him?

Report message10

• Message 11

, in reply to message 10.

Posted by M M (U14200747) on Tuesday, 25th January 2011

Tell him he could have won the Bingo if he had his aid on..... Most WON'T do anything until it gets too bad, it's what happens... I wouldn't wear my aid the first 4 years. When I decided might as well (!), I had gone deaf anyway... There is a great need to try and stay with the status quo, it transcends any common logic, as not being able to hear isolates you anyway, but you can fool yourself you are still in it, it's a knack I suppose... It's an illogical form of logic, but I can understand it having been there... I think age has a lot to with things, older people are expected to miss things, but it's a living death to a young person at prime of life, peers are very unforgiving. If you wear an aid does he not want to be seen with you ? With all these people wandering about with wires in their ears anyway I doubt many notice aids now... Tell him to wear a aid and if anyone asks tell them it's a new ipod or something KOOL lol....

Report message11

• Message 12

, in reply to message 11.

Posted by tishcat (U14708219) on Wednesday, 26th January 2011

Thanks for the reply.
    Strangely enough my friend doesn't have a problem with ME wearing aids. In fact when i have been in the pub or something and i start talking about deafness with other people, he is quick to say that he has a problem too. Just doesn't like the look of the aids i guess.
    I have seen ads for "invisible" aids and even ones with a remote control so you don't give the game away by adjusting your volume at the ear. So it must be quite common this "hearing aid aversion".
    I can only feel sorry for him cos i love my aids and have had such an improvement to my life by wearing them.
    Nevermind. He will probably be the same if he ever needs glasses.

Report message12

• Message 13

, in reply to message 12.

Posted by RoseRodent (U1896879) on Wednesday, 26th January 2011

I have seen ads for "invisible" aids and even ones with a remote control so you don't give the game away by adjusting your volume at the ear. So it must be quite common this "hearing aid aversion".  

Very common:
    www.bbc.co.uk/ouch/f...

This was the "most commented article" on Ouch for about 8 months! Sadly they appear to have clipped off all the comments now, and that was probably the more interesting part. Many celebs become super-famous for "openly wearing hearing aids" and then you search and you cannot find a single photo of the person actually sporting the famed hearing aids.

Report message13

• Message 14

, in reply to message 13.

Posted by M M (U14200747) on Thursday, 27th January 2011

They had Victor Meldrew on youtube talking about 'missing things' both he and Annette Crosby looked bored silly talking about it, and they both appeared a bit confused to be honest... this isn't awareness, its celebrity chasing.... as they are both 'older people' playing to the stereotype really... you need campaigns that grab people.... make them sit up, bluddy ANNOY them into taking notice...

Report message14

• Message 15

, in reply to message 2.

Posted by Walks-in-Shadows (U14315095) on Tuesday, 1st February 2011

None taken.

Report message15

• Message 16

, in reply to message 1.

Posted by mumkitchen (U13951974) on Friday, 4th February 2011

Yes I understand how you feel about this as I have been using hearing aids for a long time and I never really thought about this until now. I uses hearing aids all the time and wear is for clotheing

Report message16

About this Board

The Ouch! messageboard has now closed. Messages you have posted will remain archived.

or register to take part in a discussion.

The message board is currently closed for posting.

To continue the conversation visit Ouch's blog (bbc.co.uk/ouch) - now part of BBC News. There you'll find our podcast, regular blog entries and articles, community events, and links to where you can find us on Facebook and Twitter.

This messageboard is reactively moderated.

Find out more about this board's House Rules

Search this Board

Live community panel

Our blog is the main place to go for all things Ouch! Find info, comment, articles and great disability content on the web via us.

Mat and Liz
Listen to our regular razor sharp talk show online, or subscribe to it as a podcast. Spread the word: it's where disability and reality almost collide.

More from the BBC

BBC Sport

Disability Sport

All the latest news from the paralympics.

Peter White

In Touch

News and views for people who are blind or partially sighted.

BBC Radio 4

You & Yours

Weekdays 12.40pm. Radio 4's consumer affairs programme.

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.