See Hear Talk  permalink

New Hearing Aid for first time - nhs vs private

This discussion has been closed.

• Message 1. 

Posted by Heatherjp-k (U14704853) on Sunday, 28th November 2010

I have had my hearing test both privately and with the local hospital - and I have been confirmed as requiring at least one hearing aid - in the left - with a review within the year to see if I will need one in the right ear too.

I am going for a mould tomorrow for my nhs aid - but the private clinc suggested that the mould would be particularly bad for me and I really need an open ear aid

I liked the light weight open ear aid they let me try out but didn't like the price £2000+

What experience have people had with the NHS aids with the ear mould? I have very small ears and generally have never got on with earphones and am on face value pretty anti the mould but if it works properly would prefer the nhs to having to pay out so much

thank you

Report message1

• Message 2

, in reply to message 1.

Posted by thekumquat (U5850906) on Monday, 29th November 2010

I don't know about small ears in particular, but general advice is to keep going back if you have problems with earmoulds - either sore ears from rubbing/infection, or whistling. Also I've heard some people have got open fit aids on the NHS so you could ask about that.

NHS Trusts vary in what aids they offer (more down to lack of training on some brands, rather than just price) and often assume you'll want what most people do (as small and 'discreet' as possible and all automated controls rather than any buttons etc, apparently). So if you want neon pink glittery moulds and purple aids, or open fit, it may just be a question of asking.

Only if a few adjustments to moulds lead to you having problems in some months' time would I suggest considering private. They're much more geared to vanity than anything else.

Report message2

• Message 3

, in reply to message 2.

Posted by Heatherjp-k (U14704853) on Monday, 29th November 2010

Thank you for this.

I went to see the audologist at the hospital this morning and asked about an open fit rather than a mould and she agreed that my type of hearing loss would be ok with open fit but just assumed I would go for a mould

I also asked about the channels available and she is going to get me one from oticon with 12 channels - the private clinic on friday said I would only get 4.

It was quite small and so I am happily going to try my nhs one and see how I get on - at this stage, having never worn one before I can't really see that spending all that money is the best solution

I should have my nhs one before Christmas she said

Thanks for taking the time to reply
    Heather

Report message3

• Message 4

, in reply to message 1.

Posted by standardCindy (U14081089) on Monday, 29th November 2010

Hi Heatherip-k

Please tell me what is an open ear aid.

Many thanks.

Report message4

• Message 5

, in reply to message 4.

Posted by Heatherjp-k (U14704853) on Tuesday, 30th November 2010

Hi Standard Cindy

The difference basically, as I understand it, is that with an open fit hearing aid - the microphone sits behind the ear with a small wire going into the ear with a tiny little cage around it at the bottom

The moulded model is exactly the same - but instead of the wire in your ear ending with a tiny cage - the wire is fitted into a mould that has be pre moulded to the shape of your ear - and the mould fills your outer ear

I really didn't fancy the plastic mould because I just felt that I would feel blocked up somehow - and preferred the idea of having the open wire instead which I found very comfortable

The private audiologist told me that the open fit would also allow natural noise in to the ear which he thought I would benefit from

The nhs audiologist said they did do the open fit - but don't offer them routinely - if you don't ask, you get the mould basically - although she also suggested that the open fit doesn't actually help all types of hearing loss - so it depends on requirements

I also have unusually tiny ear canals - and again they all thought the open fit would suit me quite well.

I was happier once I had seen the nhs audiologist - the private guy was good - but whis comparison with the nhs aids wasn't entirely true as it turns out - the nhs deal was much better than he lead me to believe.

I am going to have my nhs aid and assess whether I need a fancy expensive one - maybe next summer because £2100 is very expensive for me right now

Heather

Report message5

• Message 6

, in reply to message 5.

Posted by thekumquat (U5850906) on Tuesday, 30th November 2010

Glad to hear you're getting good service on the NHS! That's what should be the NHS 'deal' but sadly in many areas it doesn't happen. Where in the country are you?

I'm happy with my moulds, luckily (I ended up with four sets in various wrong colours...) - I have big problems with background noise so suspect open fit wouldn't work for me, and also I'm so used to moulds that my ears get cold and painful if I go without!

Report message6

• Message 7

, in reply to message 6.

Posted by AndyfromCornwall (U14342750) on Tuesday, 30th November 2010

Open fit and vented moulds are only suitable for people with a fairly mild hearing loss.
    This is because the more powerful aids will feed back very badly and so they need in the ear moulds.

Report message7

About this Board

The Ouch! messageboard has now closed. Messages you have posted will remain archived.

or register to take part in a discussion.

The message board is currently closed for posting.

To continue the conversation visit Ouch's blog (bbc.co.uk/ouch) - now part of BBC News. There you'll find our podcast, regular blog entries and articles, community events, and links to where you can find us on Facebook and Twitter.

This messageboard is reactively moderated.

Find out more about this board's House Rules

Search this Board

Live community panel

Our blog is the main place to go for all things Ouch! Find info, comment, articles and great disability content on the web via us.

Mat and Liz
Listen to our regular razor sharp talk show online, or subscribe to it as a podcast. Spread the word: it's where disability and reality almost collide.

More from the BBC

BBC Sport

Disability Sport

All the latest news from the paralympics.

Peter White

In Touch

News and views for people who are blind or partially sighted.

BBC Radio 4

You & Yours

Weekdays 12.40pm. Radio 4's consumer affairs programme.

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.