See Hear Talk  permalink

Dreadful Digital Hearing Aids

This discussion has been closed.

• Message 1. 

Posted by debbee1996 (U14572513) on Monday, 2nd August 2010

I have been mild/moderately deaf from birth. I had had analogue hearing aids for 35yrs before I was forced to change.

I went into my local department to get my BE 36s repaired which they said they would do but had I considered digital to which I said no and that I was quite happy with the ones I had. The audiologist persuaded me to stay and chat about pros of digitals while my analogues were repaired. I even tried a pair on whilst waiting. I told her thankyou but no thankyou and said I would now go and get my repaired ones. The audiologist said she would get them for me.

She returned to say that mine had been put in a drawer and they could not find them. I was shocked and very upset but all the audiologist could say was that I would have to change eventually so why not today.

I have repeatedly been back over the last 3yrs pleading for my analogues but this has fallen on deaf ears. I have become very frustrated ,sad, aggressive - a whole range of emotions.

Since taking my analogues from me , they have stripped me of a reasonable quality of life, taken my self confidence and self esteem as I cannot hear everything. Noises are dull, I have given up listening to music which I used to love and since having my second baby can not hear him cry when he is in another room, whereas with my first child born 5yrs ago I could.

I think clumping all deaf people into one bracket ie one size fits all has been very wrong. With something as important as hearing we should have had a choice of analogue or digital.

I want to be able to hear and enjoy my life again to the full not be made aware of my disability every minute of the day due to these dreadfully inadequate hearing devices.

Report message1

• Message 2

, in reply to message 1.

Posted by AndyfromCornwall (U14342750) on Monday, 2nd August 2010

That's typical of the sort of dirty trick that I absolutely hate. Obviously they wanted to take your aids and change them for digital and this is an underhand way of doing it.
    You have entrusted them with your aids (and they are YOUR aids because they have been prescribed for you) and instead of being straight about it they have made a feeble excuse that they "can't find them". This is just dishonest and irresponsible behaviour.

Digital aids can be reprogrammed to mimic any sound quality that is required, so they can be programmed to sound like analogue aids, according to what we have been told. Some people still don't get on with them even then.

I think you should make a complaint to the Hospital Trust that the ENT Dept are not working to the required standard, they obviously have a problem if they can't manage a digital changeover in a reasonable way!

Report message2

• Message 3

, in reply to message 2.

Posted by bluesky (U14169700) on Monday, 2nd August 2010

I think you will find that most people have a hard time making the transition to digital aids. Digital can be programmed to mimic analogue ones, but audiologists don't like to do this. They will focus on speech and invariably add compression which in turn make everything else sound really weird.

With profound hearing loss, digital aids are not sufficient. The next step is to make that leap of faith into the bionic era...and that's what I'm doing!

Report message3

• Message 4

, in reply to message 3.

Posted by AndyfromCornwall (U14342750) on Tuesday, 3rd August 2010

We have had perhaps half a dozen people in here who say that they absolutely can't get along with digital hearing aids. There is just something about the sound quality that people find impossible to adapt to.
    So obviously there are a number of people with a problem as I am sure we are only a small sample in here.
    We did have a very nice email from an audiologist quite some time ago explaining that digitals CAN be set up to mimic analogues but the operators are not always trained in doing it.
    Some audiologists have considerable skill in setting up digis and others don't. That I think is a situation that needs addressing. The software is prohibitively expensive, something like £10,000 I am told so a spot of DIY is probably not on the cards!

I am sure that there are still analogue hearing aids out there. What happens to the old NHS ones is ... they are recycled to underdeveloped countries to help deaf people there. So it might be possible to get ones hands on them somehow.
    I am sure that in the UK there are plenty that have been left in drawers and probably not even used. It should be possible to get hold of some analogues one way or another if people are really stuck.

Report message4

• Message 5

, in reply to message 1.

Posted by Jue (U14575732) on Wednesday, 4th August 2010

Oh you poor thing - I can strongly empathise with you. I'm having terrible problems getting digitals to work for me too. They are no way any better than the good old analogues. Even if they are put into analogue mode. Yes I agree they are useless for music and try singing with them - terrible. I have tried so many super power ones and I just want another pair of Phonak Superfronts pp-c-2-ds and have tried finding a pair all over the world!!

The only way forward is to try and form a campaign on this and to see if we could persuade one of the companies to make analogue again as I feel that technology for me has gone backwards. Each time I've had new hearing aids it's been progress now it's going backwards.

Perhaps putting this into the media might help - i don't know. If anyone wants to help or have anything they may be able to help with I am happy for you to contact me through my e-mail address as this affects our lives and our jobs. if I don't get any new analogues and these go I'm out of a job and a life! So please do feel free to contact me on [Unsuitable/Broken URL removed by Moderator].
    thanks

Report message5

• Message 6

, in reply to message 4.

Posted by debbee1996 (U14572513) on Thursday, 5th August 2010

Thankyou for your positive message. I understand about the old ones going abroad to help people in less developed countries.
    I have been back lots of times and have met with great resistance from the audiologists to actually programme them to analogue. If you know of any way that will get them to carry out ,what I have been led to believe, is a fairly easy transition from digital to analogue please let me know.

Report message6

• Message 7

, in reply to message 5.

Posted by debbee1996 (U14572513) on Thursday, 5th August 2010

I appreciate technology is definitely not a step forwards. Just because new technology becomes available ,it doesnot necessarily mean it is better.

I just wish we had been given a choice as this really has impacted on my life and others lives in a devastating way.

If any one out there with any influence happens to be reading these messages please do something to bring back the old analogue technology and restore our quality of life.

Report message7

• Message 8

, in reply to message 7.

Posted by AndyfromCornwall (U14342750) on Thursday, 5th August 2010

Thanks for the comments. The picture is gradually becoming clearer that some people just can't hear with digital aids. On the other hand some people think they are the greatest.
    I have to admit I have been disappointed with them but my hearing is now so bad that there's hardly anything left! So I'm having a CI!
    If you look in the old threads you'll find a Deaf Musicians thread. Feel free to comment.

The people with the influence are you, the users. We've said this before many times ... if you can't hear properly with the aids then keep going back until you can.
    The only judge of whether you can hear properly is YOU!

So if you are given an aid of any kind and your hearing is now worse than it was then that's not good enough. These people are highly trained professionals as they never stop telling us. But it's a double edged sword for them because if they don't do the job to the proper standards we can complain. It's the ONLY way that we* have yet found to make sure that you end up with the right hearing aid for you.

Boring though it may be the only way we know to get a result is to keep going back and saying "I can't hear properly, it's worse than it was before".

* we = us lot in here,along with sundry visitors and odd bods who have commented.

P.S. Don't put your contact email address in here because Auntie Beeb doesn't allow it.
    (if you don't use the "at" sign the Bot probably won't detect it)

Report message8

• Message 9

, in reply to message 7.

I appreciate technology is definitely not a step forwards. Just because new technology becomes available ,it doesnot necessarily mean it is better.  

This is a known phenomenon. People tend to reject old technology for new in the belief that new is always better. So the technology tends to lead the way society works and operates rather than people regarding the technology as a tool. This is called Technological Determinism. The technology >shapes< the behaviour instead of the behaviour being independent of the particular method.

An example of this is Twitter. MM is quite right to rail against it because it's purely technological determinism. We don't need it and it is changing the way people live, not always for the better.
    And the telco's get very very riiiiiich!.

Report message9

• Message 10

, in reply to message 9.

Posted by Dale (U14258985) on Thursday, 5th August 2010

The thing is Twitter is not really replacing old technology with new--it is something the like of which we haven't had before, something which allows everyone to natter in front of the whole world. Personally I just don't have time for it, and I prefer my information to be in a slightly more packaged format for the sake of some personal efficiency.

Report message10

• Message 11

, in reply to message 10.

I think it replaces the gossip in the queue at the fishmongers. It's online entertainment really but people are finding new uses all the time.

I wonder if it would be possible to Twitter people asking for unwanted analogue hearing aids to be donated. Get them to clear out the drawers.

Report message11

• Message 12

, in reply to message 1.

Posted by Anna Oates (U14577857) on Friday, 6th August 2010

It is so sad and makes me very angry to see people suffering like this. My husband is in the same situation. The digital hearing aid he has been issued with is horrible. I've seen so many forums with people saying the same things. No one is listening to the people who need analogue aids. I have just started a facebook group, I think it's important to get everyone together on this issue and see what we can do about it. www.facebook.com/gro...

Report message12

• Message 13

, in reply to message 12.

Posted by Sunny Clouds (U14258963) on Saturday, 7th August 2010

When I changed to digital aids, I was in floods of tears at the sound quality, but I made a note of what was wrong with it and when I went back I explained what sorts of sounds were too loud, what were too quiet etc., and my aids were reprogrammed completely and I couldn't believe the difference. So if you're stuck with digital aids, at least insist that they alter the balance of sound to suit your preferences.

Report message13

• Message 14

, in reply to message 1.

Posted by adrian (U14876267) on Saturday, 21st May 2011

hi,
    in reply to this posting, I feel as if I am not alone as I too have suffered with a similar situation.

I was born deaf and was brought up in a school for the deaf. Back in those days I used to have to have a walkman like attachment for hearing and due to feeling silly and out of place i stopped wearing it in my late teens and early twenties. To cut a very long story short I ended up wearing the analogue hearing aid in my late twenties early thirties. My speech came on so much better as I could hear myself speak and for the first time in my life I actually felt closer to society. I could hold good conversations, hear my kids calling me etc.

In 2009 I had my particular hearing aid for about 8 years or so when it began to play up, I took this hearing aid to the NHS for repair. They told me that there was a new hearing aid out that was better quality and they would like me to try it. I gave it ago but when I returned and said that I didn't get on with it and that I couldn't hear properly anymore, they told me that they had lost the anoalogue and couldn't find it. then I was horrified when they said that they didn't make them anymore.

for the last few years I have suffered with a lower form of life in comparison to how I could hear before. I miss out on conversations with my family, I had to rely on my old skills of lip reading but that doesn't help me if my grandson is in the other room crying and I cant hear him. I also used to use the phone and ring my son but now I cant use the phone anymore. I feel that my standard of living has been taken away from me.

I am ready for fighting to bring back analogue hearing aids, they only don't make them as they cost too much money!! I am looking into this very seriously, if anybody is interested in joining me or just simply giving their testimonies so I can use them then please send to my email address.

thanks very much
    [Personal details removed by Moderator]

Report message14

• Message 15

, in reply to message 14.

Posted by ilovepink (U14315242) on Saturday, 21st May 2011

When i got my digital aid i was allowed to keep my analogue one for a spare incase my other one ever broke so i would not be left without . i cant hear anything without the aid.

Report message15

• Message 16

, in reply to message 15.

Posted by Natalie (U14885197) on Monday, 30th May 2011

Hi, I am still wearing an analogue hearing aid BE38. I have using analogue since I were 18 months old.

I have avoided having a digtial hearing aid, a few friends who are hard of hearing themselves totally hate Digtial Hearing aids in passion. I bet my local audiology dept are annoy with me, as I do not want a Digtial Hearing Aids and I have tried using one of my friend's Digtial hearing aid and cannot get on with them at all.

After reading your messages on here, I am dreading when my Analogue Hearing Aid goes and without a doubt I will have to wear an Digital Hearing Aid.

Surely NHS must realise by now that Ditgial Hearing Aids aren't for everyone and we should give a choice to chose Ditgial or Analogue Aids. Will they ever bring back the Analogue Hearing Aids back?

Thanks

Report message16

About this Board

The Ouch! messageboard has now closed. Messages you have posted will remain archived.

or register to take part in a discussion.

The message board is currently closed for posting.

To continue the conversation visit Ouch's blog (bbc.co.uk/ouch) - now part of BBC News. There you'll find our podcast, regular blog entries and articles, community events, and links to where you can find us on Facebook and Twitter.

This messageboard is reactively moderated.

Find out more about this board's House Rules

Search this Board

Live community panel

Our blog is the main place to go for all things Ouch! Find info, comment, articles and great disability content on the web via us.

Mat and Liz
Listen to our regular razor sharp talk show online, or subscribe to it as a podcast. Spread the word: it's where disability and reality almost collide.

More from the BBC

BBC Sport

Disability Sport

All the latest news from the paralympics.

Peter White

In Touch

News and views for people who are blind or partially sighted.

BBC Radio 4

You & Yours

Weekdays 12.40pm. Radio 4's consumer affairs programme.

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.