See Hear Talk  permalink

Deaf Prisoners

This discussion has been closed.

• Message 1. 

Posted by AS (U3643777) on Thursday, 23rd April 2009

See Hear are researching for a future programme item about Deaf people who have been in Prison, or whose people whose Deaf relatives have been in prison. We’d like to find out about your experiences.

We are also interested in getting in touch with anyone who’s had contact with mental health services. How well did the health professionals who dealt with you understand your needs? How well adapted and Deaf aware were the services you used?

We are aware that these are really sensitive issues and we are happy to protect your identity, all the information will be kept completely confidential.

Thank you

My contact details are - angela.spielsinger@bbc.co.uk

Report message1

• Message 2

, in reply to message 1.

Posted by Cornishandy (U13651333) on Thursday, 23rd April 2009

Well, I served five years at the Hairy Mare POW camp in the 60's. smiley - smiley

Report message2

• Message 3

, in reply to message 2.

Posted by PoshFenTiger (U5703677) on Thursday, 23rd April 2009

Perhaps SH should wait for a prospective candidate!

Report message3

• Message 4

, in reply to message 3.

Posted by MM (U1821038) on Friday, 24th April 2009

We're all good boys we are smiley - whistle

Report message4

• Message 5

, in reply to message 4.

Posted by Cornishandy (U13651333) on Friday, 24th April 2009

Seriously though guys ...it has occurred to me that life in prison for a Deaf person is going to be tougher than for everyone else.
    You're going to be invited to pick up the soap a lot, I think. So would a deaf person be more heavily punished in prison than a hearing one? After all they would be effectively out of it.
    It's certainly been a disincentive to a career as a Deaf bank robber on my part!

Report message5

• Message 6

, in reply to message 1.

Posted by roddyjones (U13933433) on Saturday, 25th April 2009

Hi I appearred in the See Hear programme about Deaf people in prison, which was went on tv in 2001 I think. Working in the area i'm not sure much has changed in the last 8 years. I takes a long time to change the attitudes of some staff working in prisons. Additionally the problem may be compounded by the folding of the Deaf Prison Project, run from the Deaf Cultural Centre in Birmingham. This project provided some support for Deaf prisoners, but sadly this has now ended. The volunteers are still out there, and they are considering their options at the moment.

Report message6

• Message 7

, in reply to message 5.

Posted by PoshFenTiger (U5703677) on Saturday, 25th April 2009

Cornishandy - if you looked like Charles Manson you'd be quite safe!
    I suppose you could say a deaf prisoner won't be serving just one sentence but two, i.e. being more isolated due to poor facilities. Anyway, best way to avoid such is to keep out of prison!!!!

Report message7

• Message 8

, in reply to message 5.

Posted by MM (U1821038) on Sunday, 26th April 2009

I think the adage here, is do the crime, do the time Andy. While access does not make things easier, they DO have a choice as to being in prison or not.

Report message8

• Message 9

, in reply to message 8.

Posted by Cornishandy (U13651333) on Sunday, 26th April 2009

The Deaf Bank Robber :
    "This is a stick-up! Give me all your money!"

Cashier "Mumble, mumble, mumble!"

DBR : "Pardon? You'll have to speak up a bit, I'm Deaf!"

Report message9

• Message 10

, in reply to message 5.

Posted by SigningMoose (U4070594) on Tuesday, 5th May 2009

A few years ago my profoundly Deaf BSL tutor was arrested and convicted, however, he was not sent to prison but given a suspended sentence and the apparently the reason was because the judge had said he would be serving a tougher sentence than someone who was hearing and convicted of the same crime.
    Maybe they could use the tagging system, therefore restricting the person's freedom? I Dunno.

Report message10

• Message 11

, in reply to message 10.

Posted by MM (U1821038) on Tuesday, 5th May 2009

Why should we use the 'deaf card' to get away from punishment hearing have to get ? Not equality is it ? Prisoners these days hardly are on 'bread and water' and chained to walls now, they get to watch colour TV, learn a trade, get 3 decent meals a day, go out in the community, get priority medical help, etc.. In many respects get more help than some people outside. In reality the crime has to be very severe to get jailed these days, and the time served is a lot less than some would like to see too. Communication can be difficult, but no less than an other prisoner who doesn't speak our language at all. Don't commit crime, the issues don't arise. Many prisoners abuse other people's human rights to get jailed, should we give them what they deny others ?

Report message11

• Message 12

, in reply to message 11.

Posted by Cornishandy (U13651333) on Tuesday, 5th May 2009

I think a deaf person would be very vulnerable to victimisation in a prison unless some arrangement was made for their protection.
    Justice demands that prisoners are incarcerated but beatings and abuse should not be part of the sentence. That's fair to my mind.

Report message12

• Message 13

, in reply to message 12.

Posted by MM (U1821038) on Tuesday, 5th May 2009

A lot of us are vulnerable outside prisons too ! Perhaps they should build prisons just for the deaf...... access to communication seems not an issue to migrants who commit crime, and even terrorsists have more access to it ! while funding for interpreters for migrants has gone up 20 fold in a year, deaf access has remained static indeed getting less.... I wonder if all the deaf emigrate we will be better off ... smiley - smiley except countries like Australia and New Zealand and America won't take disabled or deaf people.

Report message13

• Message 14

, in reply to message 13.

Posted by Tim (U14258428) on Wednesday, 1st June 2011

Deaf people would serve a 'double sentence' in prison.

A mysterious character who goes by the name 'Mr Jones' has been asking a few questions of HM Prison Service about this. I don't think I could have done a better job if I had tried myself:

www.whatdotheyknow.c...

I don't find that very reassuring. There was once a worthwhile project going on:

www.publicservice.co...

But now it seems that deaf prisoners have just been abandoned and that worries me.

Report message14

• Message 15

, in reply to message 14.

Posted by AndyfromCornwall (U14342750) ** on Thursday, 2nd June 2011

I think the best precaution that can be taken is to avoid prison at all costs.

Report message15

• Message 16

, in reply to message 15.

Posted by M M (U14200747) on Friday, 3rd June 2011

Getting a bit desperate we are replying to 2yr old topics but... It takes an huge amount to jail anyone these days and even more effort to keep them there... personally I'd just throw the key away. If you have committed a crime and sent to jail, serve your time and keep out of trouble. Why aren't we serving bread and water and they aren't mashing rocks too ?

Some criminal that ignores the rights of others is surely NOT entitled to those same rights.... the issue is a no-brainer to me.

Report message16

• Message 17

, in reply to message 16.

Posted by Tim (U14258428) on Friday, 3rd June 2011

As soon as you say it's OK to remove human rights from any group of people, you can then extend that to any other "undeserving" groups - like disabled people for example (already being done.)

The only "qualification" you need to have human rights is to be human; that's the whole point of the universality of human rights. It's about setting a bare minimum standard for everybody, irrespective of circumstances.

You could have some debate about what should or should not be a human right, but we don't and shouldn't get to decide for ourselves - I don't want that Cameron person deciding what my human rights are.

Report message17

• Message 18

, in reply to message 17.

I don't agree people who violate human rights are entitled to get away with it. If this means they can't watch colour TV or have holidays and sentences cut to nil then so be it. Victim's rights ARE more than the criminals, as for an pecking order of human rights this is just what you are suggesting really, that despite what crimes are committed we turn the other cheek till we have none left.

I doubt that augment will impress anyone who has lost relatives/friends who are dead, or had children abused/raped or killed. The human rights law wasn't intended to justify rights abuse, so logically we just don't give them to people that abuse them. Give prisoners human rights ? erm NO ! most come out and carry on too...

There are grey areas, but there is no such thing in law as an plea "I didn't know you can't do that..." We are today in a situation where crime pays very well, this suggests the punishment is insufficient. We have some rights advocates suggesting locking up criminals is against their human rights, enough already ! The human rights law is an incomprehensible mess, and we should not sign up for the present version at all because it creates more rights abuse than it gives. That many emanate from the most Undemocratic area on the planet next to North Korea (europe), doesn't inspire either.

What is rights seems to depend on what you can make others comply to, which is not the way to do it. Cameron is certainly one example but minority advocates and barrack-room lawyers are another... A number of rights lawyers are making millions out of us every day defending the indefensible for nothing more than cold cash, and certainly we could deport a few of them.

I think its important we identify what rights are, some naively suggest total equality no less, but you cannot enforce that on 6 billion people who are all different. or even 69m here. I'm not establishment, I think criminals can thank god I'm not.... but realism suggests human rights is an rather poor joke in the UK. I think criminals come way down the list of those entitled. Next time DON'T break the law.

Report message18

• Message 19

, in reply to message 18.

Posted by Tim (U14258428) on Friday, 3rd June 2011

I think it would be better if you addressed what I actually did say rather than things which I did not say. For example, at no point did I say 'people who violate human rights are entitled to get away with it. ' That's just a start, there are a lot of other things in your post which I did not say, either.

I am not going to refute distortions of my argument.

Report message19

• Message 20

, in reply to message 19.

Quite, you were talking deaf prisoners I was talking prisoners rights generally, because I see no distinctions. I think the issue remains the same, deaf cannot make excuses when they are incarcerated for a reason. And I still think prisoners are getting too many rights across the board too. They've screwed the tax payer for millions this year for all manner of frivolous reasons. Most originating via this horrendous human rights law which I don't support..

Report message20

About this Board

The Ouch! messageboard has now closed. Messages you have posted will remain archived.

or register to take part in a discussion.

The message board is currently closed for posting.

To continue the conversation visit Ouch's blog (bbc.co.uk/ouch) - now part of BBC News. There you'll find our podcast, regular blog entries and articles, community events, and links to where you can find us on Facebook and Twitter.

This messageboard is reactively moderated.

Find out more about this board's House Rules

Search this Board

Live community panel

Our blog is the main place to go for all things Ouch! Find info, comment, articles and great disability content on the web via us.

Mat and Liz
Listen to our regular razor sharp talk show online, or subscribe to it as a podcast. Spread the word: it's where disability and reality almost collide.

More from the BBC

BBC Sport

Disability Sport

All the latest news from the paralympics.

Peter White

In Touch

News and views for people who are blind or partially sighted.

BBC Radio 4

You & Yours

Weekdays 12.40pm. Radio 4's consumer affairs programme.

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.