Ouch! Talk  permalink

Ouch! Will be nothing

This discussion has been closed.

• Message 1. 

Posted by Yvette (U12302253) on Wednesday, 6th July 2011

without this message board.

I completely agree with Lisa Jane.

People just won't bother with the podcast - which Damon et al are promoting as the next best thing to sliced bread.

And as for the blogs, who is going to bother with them or bother to respond?

Report message1

• Message 2

, in reply to message 1.

Posted by wheelydad86 (U14862918) on Wednesday, 6th July 2011

Hear-Hear.

Report message2

• Message 3

, in reply to message 2.

Posted by jockice (U1828467) on Wednesday, 6th July 2011

Thirded!

Report message3

• Message 4

, in reply to message 1.

Posted by ditchdwellers (U12199407) on Wednesday, 6th July 2011

I agree.

Report message4

• Message 5

, in reply to message 1.

Posted by Offworld (U14593555) on Wednesday, 6th July 2011

>>>>
    And as for the blogs, who is going to bother with them or bother to respond?
    <<<<

Waste of time better spent posting a "readers comment" on newspaper websites (ineffective though that admittedly is).

Report message5

• Message 6

, in reply to message 1.

Posted by DavidG (U2600889) on Wednesday, 6th July 2011

The problem with the blogs and the podcast is that they so rarely address the things that actually concern us as disabled people. Look at the pages of the discussion board, full to the brim of concerns over the closure, which is admittedly problematical for them to address, and of concerns over the way that disabled people are being affected by the changes to the benefit system and the way that we are being demonized by press and parliament. Now other parts of the BBC have responded to those, some by taking part in the demonization, others by drawing attention to it, but not Ouch. I've been interviewed about it by two different arms of the BBC, as have others such as Meridi, but Ouch, our supposed home within the BBC, has never (with the honorable exception of Disability Bitch) bothered to touch on the issues closest to our hearts.

The whole problem with the Podcast can be summed up by looking at the people chosen to front it. No disrespect intended to the various disabled comics who have undertaken that role, but a comedy focus is not what disabled people want when they are being demonized and hounded at every turn. The only time I've listened to the podcast was the latest episode, because I wanted to see if Lisa was given an opportunity to speak about the role of Where's The Benefit (which incidentally shows that being a disabled comic doesn't stop you from heading up a deadly serious look into the changes going on around us). And of course WTB was barely touched on, with the whole piece seeming to come over as a plea to the audience to accept that Facebook and twitter really are a substitute for the forums (I'm assured that wasn't the intention, but it was inevitably what would be assumed). I didn't see anything in the podcast to say that it had meaning to me, and that means that I have no call to come back to it, or to the blogs, or, once the message board goes, to come back to Ouch at all.

Report message6

• Message 7

, in reply to message 6.

Posted by KizzyKazaer (U14253092) on Wednesday, 6th July 2011

And again, one of the most recent blogs (yesterday) features Twitter.

Tweeting disability: a birthday, disabled jokes, noisy walking

Emma | 16:15 UK time, Tuesday, 5 July 2011

Four twitter users get straight to the heart of disability life, 140 little characters at a time. 

I thought the BBC weren't suppose to advertise? The repeated direction of posters to Twitter and Facebook - and continuously vaunting the so-called advantages of this social media, in blogs and in message board posts - is surely against one of their own House Rules smiley - whistle

Report message7

• Message 8

, in reply to message 1.

Posted by hurtallover (U12292157) on Wednesday, 6th July 2011

I agree.

Report message8

• Message 9

, in reply to message 8.

Posted by Yvette (U12302253) on Wednesday, 6th July 2011

a comedy focus is not what disabled people want when they are being demonized and hounded at every turn 

Absolutely.

I am a believer in disability comedy being incorporated into mainstream comedy and not polarized into a podcast which the majority of the population will not listen to.

However, a disability talk/message board is very different because we need the opportunity to discuss situations/share information, which the majoriy of non-disabled people cannot contribute to or have not experience - like information about wheelchairs, disability benefits, medications, pain relief, carers etc.

Report message9

• Message 10

, in reply to message 9.

Posted by auntieCtheM (U14260383) on Thursday, 7th July 2011

I've looked at the comments on the last few blogs. All are well under

except for those comments made about the closure of this messageboard and those commenting on Batsgirl being quoted.

Comment not needed, eh?

Report message10

• Message 11

, in reply to message 6.

Posted by Lisy (U1824334) on Thursday, 7th July 2011

the Podcast can be summed up by looking at the people chosen to front it. No disrespect intended to the various disabled comics who have undertaken that role, but a comedy focus is not what disabled people want when they are being demonized and hounded at every turn. The only time I've listened to the podcast was the latest episode, because I wanted to see if Lisa was given an opportunity to speak about the role of Where's The Benefit (which incidentally shows that being a disabled comic doesn't stop you from heading up a deadly serious look into the changes going on around us). 

Liz has a very long history of activism. In fact she was handcuffing herself to buses while I was still in secondary school.

Report message11

• Message 12

, in reply to message 11.

Posted by DavidG (U2600889) on Thursday, 7th July 2011

>> Liz has a very long history of activism. In fact she was handcuffing herself to buses while I was still in secondary school. <<

No criticism of the hosts intended, just of the role they were asked to play!

Report message12

• Message 13

, in reply to message 1.

Posted by Lisa Jane (U14861672) on Thursday, 7th July 2011

Thanks Yvette!
    Yes What is the point of Ouch without this board?
    It might as well not exist after the board closes.

It is removing the beating heart of the whole community here.

Lisa Jane grabs box of tissues to wipe away her tears..

smiley - sadface

Report message13

• Message 14

, in reply to message 13.

Posted by myrtlemaid (U7171398) on Thursday, 7th July 2011

Rip the "beating heart" out of a live body and in no time life becomes extinct , RIP Ouch !

Report message14

• Message 15

, in reply to message 14.

Posted by SuperhumanDiva (U10939860) on Thursday, 7th July 2011

This board is the only part of the ouch site I use. Tried the podcast - once was enough. Looked at a couple of blogs - boring.

Report message15

About this Board

The Ouch! messageboard has now closed. Messages you have posted will remain archived.

or register to take part in a discussion.

The message board is currently closed for posting.

To continue the conversation visit Ouch's blog (bbc.co.uk/ouch) - now part of BBC News. There you'll find our podcast, regular blog entries and articles, community events, and links to where you can find us on Facebook and Twitter.

This messageboard is reactively moderated.

Find out more about this board's House Rules

Search this Board

Live community panel

Our blog is the main place to go for all things Ouch! Find info, comment, articles and great disability content on the web via us.

Mat and Liz
Listen to our regular razor sharp talk show online, or subscribe to it as a podcast. Spread the word: it's where disability and reality almost collide.

More from the BBC

BBC Sport

Disability Sport

All the latest news from the paralympics.

Peter White

In Touch

News and views for people who are blind or partially sighted.

BBC Radio 4

You & Yours

Weekdays 12.40pm. Radio 4's consumer affairs programme.

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.