Ouch! Talk  permalink

Ouch Too

This discussion has been closed.

• Message 101

, in reply to message 96.

Posted by SunshineMeadows (U14657824) on Monday, 4th July 2011

Professional Cripple,

For the passed three weeks I have worked with members of Ouch Too to make sure that people can view and comfortably use the message board. Various topics such as:

Posting Pictures
    Sizing Pictures
    Editing Profiles
    Security of Personal Information
    Posting Messages
    Font Size and Colour
    Advanced Membership
    Creation of subcatergories
    Welcome Aboard
    How to Join
    Inserting a Link
    Editing a Message
    Inserting a You Tube Video
    Chatroom Font Size

Today there was a brief glitch with the readability of text when I was changing the background from the one you said I should not use to an alternative background. It is normal for members of Ouch Too to post on the messageboard itself when there is a issue or they have a question. We do things out in the open. As soon as I saw the message Kizzy left I changed the font colour from blue to white which could be more easily seen against the new background.

As you have joined Ouch Too and know emailing me works, feel free to email me via Aimoo or post on the Ouch Too messageboard itself with any criticisms, complaints or concerns. If you forget your password again you know it is easily reset as long as you remember your email address.

I will appreciate it is you would stop spoiling what was a happy go lucky thread with your negative commentary.

If you intention is to blacken the name and design of Ouch Too you are well on your way to achieving that goal.

If you actions on this thread and other threads, here on BBC Ouch that relate to Ouch Too, cause people to feel worried or feel unsettled to the point that they don't visit/join Ouch Too where do you suggest they go?

Over 150 people have joined Ouch Too that means they want to be there and to use the site. This is more than a good enough reason for me to keep going with it and doing what I can.

smiley - smiley

Report message1

• Message 102

, in reply to message 101.

Posted by ProfessionalCripple (U13715341) on Monday, 4th July 2011

I'm glad to see that you have taken my advice and set up a test site that you can work on and get the bugs sorted out - without disrupting the OuchToo site!

forum4.aimoo.com/tes...

If you need any help ironing out the bugs just shout - but you will have to wait until the Aimoo Servers have stopped messing about and I can sign in again! 4 resets and still not able to access the site!

I have not forgotten any email addresses or passwords - my systems store them automatically! smiley - winkeye

I think it's great that you have helped people to learn how to use the HTML posting interface so that they can post all sorts of things - like pictures!

Do make sure they know to include a description in the Alt Tag Field so that people using screen readers get told what it is they can't see! It is an accessibility issue that so many VI people get very unhappy about! Thay tend to not bother with sites that don't address their needs and impairments!

Oh - and there is a formatting bug in the template you are using on the Test site so I would use another skin/template to work on or you will driven crazy by a piece of code that you can't alter!

... and please don't attribute intentions to people until you have at least had the courtesy to ask them what their intentions are! It does tend to stop people hearing good advice - and then making mistakes that can be easily avoided!

If you are so defensive now - I hate to think what it would be like in any future!

Report message2

• Message 103

Posted by darrowsgirl (U14128133) on Monday, 4th July 2011

Well I think you've done a sterling job, SunshineMeadows. I wouldn't even know where to begin. So you get 10 out of 10 from me.

I think, ProfessionalCripple, your intentions are good, but I do agree that your posting style on this thread is a little overbearing, given that we cannot hear your 'tone of voice'. So please think about taking our advice on this issue, while continuing to offer your own undoubted knowledge and expertise.

Report message3

• Message 104

, in reply to message 102.

Posted by crustycrip (U1820557) on Monday, 4th July 2011

I belong to a site that doesn't give a fig about conventions, here's an example of the colour scheme. Anything goes and no demn curtain twitchers or frustrateds of mayfair...

i16.photobucket.com/...

I won't miss the curtain twitchers...

smiley - laugh

pete

Report message4

• Message 105

, in reply to message 103.

Professional Cripple,

Credit were credit is due, I created the Ouch Test before you suggested it.

Aimoo is working fine for me and a lot of other people so it must be an isolated glitch. Hopefully you will sort it out soon.

If you are so certain you can do better feel free to build a Aimoo test board for yourself. Create the look and feel you think appropriate for Ouch Too. If people like what you create I will happily copy the design over to Ouch Too and you can feel content in a job well done.

Report message5

• Message 106

, in reply to message 105.

Hey Sunshine!
    I called myself mental as a fork* because thats how i iz....not professor doctor proctologist for effect...

pete
    *years ago Damon asked me to change my monniker cause it sounded rude, me being civil did.

Report message6

• Message 107

"Chatroom Font Size"

Oooeer Missuss.

Nice shoes!

pete

Report message7

• Message 108

, in reply to message 107.

Lol Pete smiley - smiley

Report message8

• Message 109

, in reply to message 108.

pete

Report message9

• Message 110

, in reply to message 105.

Posted by ProfessionalCripple (U13715341) on Monday, 4th July 2011

If you are so certain you can do better feel free to build a Aimoo test board for yourself. Create the look and feel you think appropriate for Ouch Too. If people like what you create I will happily copy the design over to Ouch Too and you can feel content in a job well done.

It's not just a design issue, backgrounds, colours and fonts! - It's Accessibility!

You may want to have a look at some resources on the matter -

en.wikipedia.org/wik...

and

en.wikipedia.org/wik...

I've been scouring the net for any information on how to provide accessibility controls for people with Visual Impairments - the ability to change colour setting for text and back ground - font size!

You may have noticed the controls up on the top of the ouch pages - and even come across the BBC's "My Web My Way" which provides many accessibility options - www.bbc.co.uk/access...

It's not just about blind folks getting Braille - that was an outdated attitude 15 years ago!

It's one of the reasons so many have been so angry at the Ouch Closure! BBC Ouch message boards is one of the very few venues on the net where Accessibility is anywhere near the required standard!

Facebook and Twitter don't provide any at all!

It seems there is no way to build in even basic accessibility tools to Aimoo - which means that many people will simply be excluded or disabled more in using the service!

It seems that is one of the reasons Aimoo is not widely used by the full range of disabled people!

If I find any way to address the issues I'll let you know! --- Aimoo servers and account access not withstanding!

Report message10

• Message 111

, in reply to message 110.

Posted by hossylass (U3749845) on Tuesday, 5th July 2011

Having established that you both want the same thing, could you not pool your collective, and admirable, huge amounts of knowledge?

At the moment Ouch Too is more popular than the new Broken of Britain site... I hope it continues to be so as well.

Is there a button on there that will prevent anyone from the BBC servers accessing the site?
    I believe there is!
    Oh deep joy smiley - devil

Report message11

• Message 112

, in reply to message 103.

Posted by pdoff (U14553616) on Tuesday, 5th July 2011

"I think, ProfessionalCripple, your intentions are good, but I do agree that your posting style on this thread is a little overbearing,"

The good old British understatement smiley - smiley

Report message12

• Message 113

, in reply to message 112.

Posted by BBC Ouch team (U11138240) on Tuesday, 5th July 2011

Great to see new communities popping up and really good to see the passion going into this.

Hoping everyone will support all efforts being made from Ouchtoo to Broken of Britain and beyond.

...Damon

• Message 114

, in reply to message 113.

Posted by darrowsgirl (U14128133) on Tuesday, 5th July 2011

Is that REALLY all you have to say?

Report message14

• Message 115

Posted by JLRRAC (U14373280) on Tuesday, 5th July 2011

In reply to BBC Ouch team:
    Great to see new communities popping up and really good to see the passion going into this.

Hoping everyone will support all efforts being made from Ouchtoo to Broken of Britain and beyond.

Damon, you know the users here on the BBC Ouch Talk Message Board want Ouch to be kept, what you call passion I call anger and frustration at your single determination to ignore the wishes of those who use BBC Ouch. So please take your pathetic comments and share them with your work mates over the BBC canteen table, we can do without them here.

Report message15

• Message 116

, in reply to message 115.

Posted by KizzyKazaer (U14253092) on Tuesday, 5th July 2011

We've still not been told the exact time this board closes...

Report message16

• Message 117

Posted by ProfessionalCripple (U13715341) on Tuesday, 5th July 2011

...Damon  

So Damon, in your official status within the BBC, you use the term "Community"!

So Ouch Message Boards are not just a place to make comment - they are a community!

This messageboard is the beating heart of the Ouch community where you talk to us and each other. 

Maybe you need to consider that Communities don't just pop up!

I know that in this internet age some are foolish and stupid enough to consider a 1 minute wonder of a Facebook page to be a Community! Some are so divorced from reality they do think that.

So many had thought the BBC employed better educated staff and managers! It's fascinating to see how wrong that is! Is it due to poor in-house training - or have so many within the BBC just swallowed hook line and stinker the Social Internet model and minds set that is already being shown to be false!

As for Communities being decimated in equal quick time - that would normally only occur due to Acts Of War, Act Of God and Natural Disaster!

So which is the BBC involved in?

The BBC aint natural and it sure aint God ( No matter how some managers may view themselves ).

.. and both you and Giles Wilson have a number of questions posted to you on a number of Blogs - so get on with providing the answers and stop patronising and deliberately avoiding the questions! .

Twit away - and tell everyone on FB about your Vindaloo last night - but the BBC Blogs need your attention and Patronage far more than people need it here!

Report message17

• Message 118

Posted by Darth Vector (U14539792) on Tuesday, 5th July 2011

...Damon  
    I just knew the Ouch! team would use the emergency effort to find a new home as a chance to make a self-serving post on the subject. It's a wonder they didn't do it sooner, really.

They're essentially laying the groundwork for a claim that closing this messageboard isn't really that much of a problem for us. Sorry, Ouch! - it won't work.

The argument about the best way to make Ouch Too fully accessible is a perfect example of the problems that you've created for us. If you weren't closing this board, we could continue to use the BBC's best-in-class accessibility options.

Add that problem to the list, right next to things like the lack of moderated safety and security in places like Facebook.

Report message18

• Message 119

, in reply to message 118.

The argument about the best way to make Ouch Too fully accessible is a perfect example of the problems that you've created for us. If you weren't closing this board, we could continue to use the BBC's best-in-class accessibility options.

Add that problem to the list, right next to things like the lack of moderated safety and security in places like Facebook. 

This has already been highlighted to the BBC

Scapegoat: Why Were Failing Disabled People Katharine Quarmby, needs to be considered by the BBC.

"Page 200

These five physical locations for violence - public transport, the streets, neighbourhood crime, crimes inside the home and institutions - are joined by an emerging virtual one: harassment and bullying on the Internet.

When I was drawing up recommendations for 'getting away with murder', I talked to police officers and politicians about whether the law on incitement - particularly relating to inciting hatred using the Internet - should be broadened to include crimes against disabled people. At this time I was unable to find evidence that the Internet is being used routinely to mock, taunt, bully or harassed disabled children and adults or to incite others to similar acts or to physical violence.

This isn't true any more. Three years on, there is increasing evidence that the Internet (and, to a lesser extent, television) is being used as a very modern freakshow where disabled people can be mocked, as well as being a place where disabled children are being bullied and disabled people harassed with virtual impunity.

Scapegoat: Why Were Failing Disabled People Katharine Quarmby, Potrobello Books 2011" 

Report message19

• Message 120

, in reply to message 119.

Posted by Yvette (U12302253) on Tuesday, 5th July 2011

Sunny is absolutely wonderful in setting up this new site for us all. I am very grateful indeed to her.

And it would be appreciated - by me and several other posters who have said so - if anyone has probs in accessing the site or wants to suggest changes, that they do it in a mannerly way as Sunny doesn't deserve to be spoken to as she has been.

So there, Yvette has spoken.

Report message20

• Message 121

, in reply to message 1.

Posted by amber (U1819546) on Tuesday, 5th July 2011

Unfortunately I have also been having access problems with Ouch Too.

I can read posts, although this is less convenient than on this message board. Here, I can quickly jump between posts because each is marked up with a heading. On Ouch Too I have to read through everything line by line. This doesn't stop me using it but makes it harder and so I don't know if I'll bother.

The bigger problem I am having is that there's a verification graphic during the sign up process and for some reason neither Visicom or Solona have been able to crack it for me. I might try to join at some point when I have a sighted person around at an appropriate moment to read the graphic to me.

But I want to wish the Ouch Too board and all it's users well. Thank you to Sunny for setting it up.

Report message21

• Message 122

, in reply to message 121.

Posted by darrowsgirl (U14128133) on Tuesday, 5th July 2011

bumpety bump

Report message22

• Message 123

, in reply to message 121.

Posted by SunshineMeadows (U14657824) on Tuesday, 5th July 2011

Professional Cripple,

Thank you for your additional input.

The thing is if you had gone over to Ouch Too sooner and read some of the threads you would already have seen how the growing membership of Ouch Too worked together and helped me create a site where allsorts of disabilities are taken into consideration.

I realise that both Ouch Too's success and failures can be used as sticks to beat in a argument over whether BBC Ouch should be closed or not, but I would appreciate it if you tempered the negativity you are giving with some positive comments.

The fact is I would not have built Ouch Too if the BBC had not announced the closure of BBC Ouch. People would not have been interested in joining helping and participating in Ouch Too if the BBC was not closing BBC Ouch.

However, since the announcement weeks ago and up to this point the BBC has kept firm on its decision to close BBC Ouch.

Had I sat on my hands and said to myself well I could build a place for people to be but I won't because I don't have the resources the BBC have and I don't have the clout the BBC have, what do you think would have been happening to the people who post here.

I am not the sort of person to see people are in pain and distress over losing something to sit back and not even try to do something about it.

Other people had the fight against closure well in hand and I considered Ouch Too a back up plan that needed to exist asap and not the day BBC Ouch closed.

You Wiki links have helped in my approach to this and here is my position:

I apologise to anyone who is unable to view or use Ouch Too because I have been unable to make the messageboard accessible to everyone with visual impairments or other disabilities which make different colours, contrasts, fonts, or brightness of difficult to read. If I ever get to a point where I am able to create a message board which has the same options as the BBC Ouch board I will do so, but for now it is not possible.

Professional Cripple ..... Oh well anyway if you ever do create a more accessible template - fonts, backgrounds and all on Aimoo let me know and I will change the one presently used on Ouch Too, and if you build a better board, bells whistle and all somewhere else feel free to post about it on Ouch Too.

Yvette,

Thank you ~hugs~

Amber,

Thank you for writing the post you made in the way you did smiley - smiley

I am sorry you are having trouble accessing Ouch Too it won't help for me to let you know that it is working well for most people and I will help if I can eg I will create the Aimoo profile you need and then you can edit it and change the password.

I dont know what you mean when you say this,

> I can read posts, although this is less convenient than on this message board. Here, I can quickly jump between posts because each is marked up with a heading. On Ouch Too I have to read through everything line by line. This doesn't stop me using it but makes it harder and so I don't know if I'll bother.<

When I use BBC Ouch the list of threads looks much the same as Ouch Too, and I find it less clunky to reply too because I can read the messages I am replying too in on the same page as the Reply box I write in.

One reason I never participated much here is because I would have to flick from one page to another to write and then read and then write and then read and then finish writing. But maybe I have been using BBC Ouch incorrectly.

Also having a waiting time between posting and posting again to a different thread makes multitasking very growly.

If you do find you can join and post in Ouch Too please say hello on the Welcome Aboard thread.

Sunshine smiley - smiley

Report message23

• Message 124

, in reply to message 123.

If I ever get to a point where I am able to create a message board which has the same options as the BBC Ouch board I will do so, but for now it is not possible. 

Would you like to know how - and even where the money to fund it is going begging?

Could be reality in as little as 8 weeks!

smiley - ale

The BBC could have done things so differently, if they had but consulted the Ouch message board users! They could even have looked nice and helpful!

Bit of a pity that they seem to think that we know nowt about things that matter to us!

And the Aimoo server 4 is still not allowing me in to give you the info over there! iit seems a number of people are not able to sign in!

Report message24

• Message 125

forum4.aimoo.com/Ouc...

... fall down 7 times get up 8

Report message25

• Message 126

, in reply to message 125.

Feel free to email me on

righttofreedom@hotmail.com

and in regard to 8 weeks it is too long, People need something now and I will let the future take care of itself.

...............fall down 7 time get up 8

Report message26

• Message 127

Er Sunshine, I don't know how daft this might sound but would it be possible for the BBC to transfer to you and for the use of your web site Ouch Too the computer workings (if I can put it that way) I mean such as the graphics and so on of Ouch Talk?

I'm thinking of this as it occurs to me that given the BBC are closing the Ouch Talk message board then copying it over to Ouch Too albeit with slight changes in the title graphics and the deletion of all BBC logo's we would have in effect a generic version of Ouch Talk, a bit like the way the pharmaceutical industries manufacture or allow the manufacturing of generic versions of their drugs after a set number of years allowing the cheaper versions of their drugs to be made available to those in places like South Africa.

As there would not be two Ouch Talk message boards running at the same time I can't see any reasonable argument for the BBC to object and given the BBC will be only too well aware of how the users of the Ouch Talk message boards want it to remain as it is, what possible objection could they justifiably have to doing as I have suggested?

Report message27

• Message 128

> I can read posts, although this is less convenient than on this message board. Here, I can quickly jump between posts because each is marked up with a heading. On Ouch Too I have to read through everything line by line. This doesn't stop me using it but makes it harder and so I don't know if I'll bother.<

I believe that Amber was referencing on how Screen Readers read the contents of web pages.

Depending on the way the web page has been designed, systems can jump from heading to heading - and not have to read every word!

A good way to see this and understand it if you are not familiar is to use the free software "Webbie" www.webbie.org.uk/...

It works with Internet explorer - and it's quite a revelation to discover how a VI person gets the contents of the net served up to them - or even not!

The Webbie site also explains how to make sure that web content is accessible.

A Full CD Rom system that you can boot from and see the same issues comes from Vinux. vinuxproject.org/...

Vinux can even be run from a USB pen - allowing VI computer access on the move! Just plug in your USB pen, boot up and away you go!

Report message28

• Message 129

, in reply to message 127.

I'm thinking of this as it occurs to me that given the BBC are closing the Ouch Talk message board then copying it over to Ouch Too albeit with slight changes in the title graphics and the deletion of all BBC logo's we would have in effect a generic version of Ouch Talk, a bit like the way the pharmaceutical industries manufacture or allow the manufacturing of generic versions of their drugs after a set number of years allowing the cheaper versions of their drugs to be made available to those in places like South Africa.

As there would not be two Ouch Talk message boards running at the same time I can't see any reasonable argument for the BBC to object and given the BBC will be only too well aware of how the users of the Ouch Talk message boards want it to remain as it is, what possible objection could they justifiably have to doing as I have suggested?  

Well there are commercial objections for a start - but then again the technology could be licensed from the BBC is they were willing and interested !

There are a great many ways to solve issues and problems - but it does require willingness on both sides!

Report message29

• Message 130

, in reply to message 126.

Feel free to email me on

righttofreedom@hotmail.com

and in regard to 8 weeks it is too long, People need something now and I will let the future take care of itself.

...............fall down 7 time get up 8 

You are thinking only in the short term!

Think of Aimoo as a life raft after the Titanic has sunk!

It can keep people going until the bigger better ship arrives!

You may also want to ask the members of OuchToo for their views! They may think that 8 weeks is nothing compared to a life time! They may also not agree with you speaking on their behalf without consultation!

I believe the BBC have been criticised for that one! smiley - winkeye

Dealing with change is not just about reacting!

It is about planning what the reaction should be!

Report message30

• Message 131

, in reply to message 130.

Posted by auntieCtheM (U14260383) on Tuesday, 5th July 2011

HI PC,

We were all upset, shocked and generally fell apart a bit when the announcement was made to close Ouch - predictable since the BBC Ouch do not know how to plan for change or even carry it out successfully.

But within a couple of days Sunshine had given us somewhere else to go. Her site was a life-saver at the time and and life-raft for many who were also losing benefits, going through bad times with their health, having their care reduced and their day-centres closed etc etc. I am writing this because I would like everyone who researches in the future to understand how one person has saved us all. It is as dramatic as that.

8 weeks wait would have separated us all, and most would have scattered to the ends of the internet. But now we are still together, holding each others hands and making each other laugh our socks off. That is what is important.

So well-done Sunshine.

A lot of people have taken on a small task each to make the new site work. Just a little so it has not been too burdensome to anyone.

You obviously know a lot about accessibility and websites. I do hope that you and Sunshine can pull together and keep us all growing and improving on the new site. So when you make a useful suggestion would you please put it in a positive way so that we are all pulling in the same tug-o'-war team. Is that OK with you?

We want to stay together and have others join us and enjoy us.

Report message31

• Message 132

, in reply to message 131.

Auntie

Could you make sure that criticism is warranted before making or implying it! smiley - winkeye

I think the central issue that needs to be considered is whether Aimoo would ever be a suitable service provider to meed the needs of all disabled people?

Having been poking around concerning their systems, programming and it's adaptability I do fear that it basically can't be made accessible to all disabled people.

It's also clear from it's history that Aimoo is just a cash cow for the owners and they will not be spending money on updating the software to make it accessible.

That would mean changing venue! A Bit like moving from an inaccessible day centre to one that has been designed from the ground up to meet all needs!

It's not hard, and in fact it could be up and running in basic format in as little as 10 minutes! That would be like moving into a new house with no furniture and no adaptations! Not the best way to do it!

The problem is looking beyond the life boat and making sure that any future ship is secure and will stay afloat!

It seems that saying Aimoo is a problem and better option is possible is just taken as being critical of the people who have acted. They are not being criticised - the Internet Platform they are using is!

If you want a serious discussion on the options - then some may have to consider that what has been done is great, - but looking at better options is not criticism!

It's options - something which Ouch Upstairs did not consider - other than to tell folks use Facebook and twitter!

Reminds me so much of the conduct of so many authorities when it cam to care in the community! And so many are still living with that disaster 25 years on!

You don't need a venue that meets your needs - so shut up move into that flat and eat your beans on toast!

How about the people who have built the life raft being trained to run and manage a full web service - I mean training and potential employment!

That is a real possibility - but I do fear that some may have to look at weather what they have done so far is to be the limit - or if they want to go beyond those limits and achieve so much more!

I have said that people should be consulted on the options! Maybe that idea needs closer examination!

Given my knowledge and expertise I could of course just have gone ahead and done it - so why didn't I?

Maybe I'm more interested in giving people options and letting them decide to realise their potential, and their own destiny - but then again I can't make them do that - they have to want to do it!

.. and some have said I lack people skills! smiley - winkeye

Maybe that will be seen a critical - when if fact it's nothing of the sort!

And one pointer - have the people building OuchToo considered if Gif Animated Avatars should be allowed? A Winking Avatar may be fun to some - but to others it causes real problems and makes it very hard - and even impossible to join in!

ADHD - VI - a number of Neuro Diverse folks!

Again its not a criticism - just a query concerning OuchToo being inclusive and allowing far more people that the existing members to join in, gain value and for it to be a real replacement for Ouch - or even better!

Report message32

• Message 133

, in reply to message 132.

Posted by penny cillin (U12392935) on Tuesday, 5th July 2011

we only were given a month.

using aimoo is beffer than nothing.

we need somewhere safe and secure to set up camp. Ouch is much more than simply a message board, but a group of people joined by a common purpose. Although the theory is that we could set up anywhere there are certain securities and things we need to make us comfy to continue.

I am an artist, and I made the ouch 2 logo, because i know how important it is to feel belonging to a place.

Im struggling here because having ouch drop one bombshell of closing, and then people discussing theclosure and moving of ouch 2 when i have tried hard to get used to that place just goes to prove my point that no where on the internet is worth getting attached too, and im destined to wander lonely round theinternet...

Report message33

• Message 134

, in reply to message 133.

Auntie,

Well said smiley - smiley
    Thank you

Professional Cripple,

~smiles~

You just don't seem to get it and I am not sure I am the right person to teach you.

You ask a question about Gifs the answers you seek are already posted in Ouch Too. I should not be expected to explain the workings of Ouch Too here on the BBC board. Especially when you have joined Ouch Too and can post there like everyone else who had questions and suggestions have. In addition to that you can use the email address I posted to get intouch with me directly.

You mention training, experience and consultation, are you trying to ask me for a CV? Do you want to give me a job interview?

Too late, I started it and we did it. Ouch Too is alive and well.

Ouch Too may or may not outgrow Aimoo and what might happen next has been mentioned and discussed on the message board, but right now today this minute and for at least the next 6 months, people have a place, warm and dry - a place to be.

................fall down 7 times get up 8 smiley - smiley
    forum4.aimoo.com/Ouc...

Report message34

• Message 135

, in reply to message 127.

JLRRAC,

I had not forgotten to answer your suggestion in 127.

It is a decent idea but as far as I understand it the archive is going to remain intact, which means we can still search the BBC site for info and interesting conversations etc and then post links on Ouch Too.

When MSN closed down its groups it partnered up with Aimoo and people were able to transfer an archive of their old msn group messageboard to their new Aimoo forum. There is a group on Aimoo that began on msn communities in about 1999, weathered the change of name and revamp to msn groups and it now is doing well on Aimoo

lol sorry I am getting nostalgic.

What would be nice is the BBC putting links to Ouch Too, Out of Hours 2 and the Broken of Britain forum in a prominant position so people can find their way to those places.
    smiley - smiley

Report message35

• Message 136

, in reply to message 135.

Sunshine, might I ask if you got my email?

Report message36

• Message 137

, in reply to message 136.

Posted by Sunny Clouds (U14258963) on Wednesday, 6th July 2011

Sunshine Meadows, I think you're wonderful! I've barely posted on Ouch too, but that's not because there's anything wrong with it, but because I've been involved in family matters and am not in the right frame of mind to get started, but I've taken a look and think it's fantastic.

Professional Cripple - I know you mean well, but the bottom line is that Sunshine went out there and set up Ouch too. If you can do better, do it. If you feel able to offer pleasant, constructive help to Sunshine, do it. But I would hope that you'd tone down the criticism because it's she not you that has done what so many of us vaguely thought of doing but didn't get off our backsides and do and gone out and created a new home for us.

Report message37

• Message 138

, in reply to message 136.

Posted by SunshineMeadows (U14657824) on Wednesday, 6th July 2011

I just checked and yes if you are the same person who sent me 'work is good for you'.

smiley - smiley

I am plum tuckered out and need to zzzzz.
    I be back!

Report message38

• Message 139

, in reply to message 134.

Posted by ProfessionalCripple (U13715341) on Wednesday, 6th July 2011

You just don't seem to get it and I am not sure I am the right person to teach you.

You say "people have a place, warm and dry - a place to be.|" - that should read Some People - and should not attempt to claim it is 100%.

Evidently You don't get it - and don't wish to get it!

Interesting comments about the Social Model of disability - the Model where it's things like inaccessible websites that disable people!

www.bbc.co.uk/ouch/m...

Love to all you say - and even claim you have learned so much about other's and their impairments?

Also attitudes that are disinterested in the access of disabled people also cause Disability!

I'm all right jack is not about disability equality!

Such a pity that you are not interested in making sure that so many more disable people can have access to what you are doing!

Please stop representing OuchToo as an alternative to Ouch whilst you happily exclude Ouch users and the wider pantheon of disabled people!

It;s an alternative to some - and shows a lack of love to all!

Your venture is not about equality whilst others are excluded!

Evidently you are not interested in others - only what you like and want!

You asked for feed back and then didn't want it! How Like the BBC!

I have checked out all the alternatives and OuchToo on Aimoo is not to be recommended!

It discriminates against too many disabled people !

Have fun! .. and all the bestsmiley - ale

Report message39

• Message 140

, in reply to message 137.

~back~

Thank you Sunny,
    night.

ttfn

Report message40

• Message 141

, in reply to message 140.

Professional Cripple,

Your linked to a post Sunny Clouds made and I am not Sunny Clouds.

I am Sunshine Meadows.

It is sad to see someone so full of spit and vinegar as you are tonight.

Not being able to meet the needs of 100 % of disabled people should not be translate (by you) to mean not wanting too.

You seem to be saying if I can't meet the needs of every disable person then I should not use my ability to help anyone. Follow that through and it is saying 80 people in every 100 should be denied Ouch Too because 20 people in every hundred can't use it.

.........fall down 7 times get up 8

Report message41

• Message 142

, in reply to message 139.

Posted by Loopy_S (U1819434) on Wednesday, 6th July 2011

PC

Quite frankly you leave me speechless.
    Your post is nothing short of nasty.

A lot of your questions have already been considered (for instance the flashing gifs), which you would know if you had bothered to either ready the forum or ask privately, rather than do so accusingly here in a public manner.

Your contention that you didn't yourself create a website because you were trying to let others realise their potential is nothing short of laughable and incredibly condescending.

Right now there IS no other alternative. And if Ouch too hadn't been created from scratch by one poster there still would be no alternative.

No one is saying it is perfect. Some people cannot access it. But a site had to be made very quickly which as many people as possible could go to before we all got separated. Our anger should be directed not at the one resourceful person who tried to create a website which could accommodate as many refugees from this messageboard as possible but at those who shut it down.

As for you talking about people doing this professionally etc, please remember who you are talking to. These are just disabled people from a messageboard who have had the rug pulled from under them. They may be very ill. They may already have jobs. They are doing us an incredible favour by doing what they are already doing, at great effort.

Now stop these personal attacks and recognise the good work that has been done unless you're too blinkered to see it. Just think what the situation would currently be if Ouch too had not been created. That is praise enough.

Report message42

• Message 143

, in reply to message 141.

It is sad to see someone so full of spit and vinegar as you are tonight.

Not being able to meet the needs of 100 % of disabled people should not be translate (by you) to mean not wanting too.

Filled with spit and vinegar is your opinion and take on matters!

Try Frustrated at seeing the needs of so many disabled people ignored - that is far more accurate!

As I have said - you are not interested in the needs of all - only those you are interest in!

Kindly stop representing your OuchToo Board on the Aimoo service as for everyone! It excludes too many due to the Aimoo platform.

Have you even looked at the issue using the Webbie?

The information was provided and the necessary links for you to use and recognise issues.

OuchToo is not inclusive not whilst it excludes others due to disability - and you are not acting to address that issue!

Having checked out the offerings available, there are more accessible options that are far more inclusive!

Cheers -and all the best!

I will expend my energies working with others who are interested in options and opportunities that meet the needs of all Ouchers!

Report message43

• Message 144

, in reply to message 142.

Right now there IS no other alternative. And if Ouch too hadn't been created from scratch by one poster there still would be no alternative.  

Actually that is wrong!

There are a number of other alternatives - which certain people are not pushing!

The alternatives provide far better access and accessibility to address many disabilities!

I apologise for my error in misreading the identity of the OP!

I have asked for my error to be addressed by having the post removed!

How will you address your errors?

These are just disabled people from a messageboard who have had the rug pulled from under them. 

I would never use such condescending language - and I fear it is very revealing that you have!

Just Disabled? Such a demeaning turn of phrase!

Report message44

• Message 145

, in reply to message 144.

PC - It's simple. If you think you can do better, then do it. If people find your board better, they will use it. They may use other boards as well, just as some people use both OOH and Ouch2.

If you think that there are other boards that are better than Ouch2, don't just tell us that there are, tell us which they are.

I think it's a sad end to Ouch to read your vitriolic attacks on Sunshine Meadows. Please take a deep breath and tell us which boards are better. Then when you've had some sleep, think about how you're going to set up your own board to add to the range of boards out there.

Report message45

• Message 146

, in reply to message 145.

Sorry for some confusion in the wrong posts appearing in the wrong threads!

Assistive technology can be like that - when the "Focus" of the system ends up out of sync with browsers tabs!

You tell the system to select the "reply to this message link and it takes you to the wrong tab and wrong tread!

Also note that as there is a posting delay - it is not possible to discover and correct errors in real time!

Report message46

• Message 147

, in reply to message 145.

PC - It's simple. If you think you can do better, then do it. If people find your board better, they will use it. They may use other boards as well, just as some people use both OOH and Ouch2. 

Ah but I'm looking at long term - and that means long term security!

It also means looking at many issues long term!

None of us can guarantee we will be about or well enough to deal with things long term! Some can't even guarantee they can get out of bed tomorrow!

Setting up things in a hurry is one thing!

Making sure they survive another!

Odd how you are making the question about Us Vs Them!

I'm more interested in the Us and no Them necessary!

As I have said it is clear you are not interested in the long term accessibility issues!

I will explore the options with others.

Again I am unable to recommend OuchToo on the Aimoo platform as it causes exclusion of too many disabled people!

There are better options even if they are not pushed at Ouchers for their attention!

Report message47

• Message 148

, in reply to message 147.

Posted by Offworld (U14593555) on Wednesday, 6th July 2011

>>>>
    There are better options even if they are not pushed
    at Ouchers for their attention!
    <<<<

Ok, whatever these are, no Ouchers ever get to know of their existence;
    so how can they be regarded as (real) options for Ouchers?

Report message48

• Message 149

ahemmm

Professional Cripple,

If it is so awful a place why did you join Ouch Too when non members can read the board as easily as members?

..........fall down 7 times get up 8

Report message49

• Message 150

Again I am unable to recommend OuchToo on the Aimoo platform as it causes exclusion of too many disabled people!

There are better options even if they are not pushed at Ouchers for their attention!  

In the light of your diatribes against Sunshine Meadows and in the light of your refusal to name any alternative sites, it seems to me that your recommendation or otherwise is rather irrelevant to any of us. Whether you recommend it or not, it is what we have, thanks to some very hard work.

However, if you're looking for alternative sites...

There's Where's the Benefit and the various blogs linked to from it. wheresthebenefit.blo... but that's a blog not a forum.

There's disability and dosh in moneysavingexpert, but as the name indicates, it covers the money aspects of disability, which is only a small part of what we discuss on here. forums.moneysavingex...

There's OOH which has been going for some while now.

There are the yourable forums. www.youreable.com/fo... They had to close before because of problems with some posters, so when they reopened, it was with quite strict criteria as to what is permitted. I don't post on there but they do seem to cover a fair few of the issues that are discussed on here.

People from Ouch are welcome on the Archers messageboard, which is full of refugees from various BBC sites. www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mb... It isn't specifically disability orientated, obviously, but there is an area for general discussion where disability focussed threads can quite properly be started and there is also an area with special interest groups, including autism and mental health issues. It would be entirely acceptable to start a group relating to a particular disability issue.

Report message50

About this Board

The Ouch! messageboard has now closed. Messages you have posted will remain archived.

or register to take part in a discussion.

The message board is currently closed for posting.

To continue the conversation visit Ouch's blog (bbc.co.uk/ouch) - now part of BBC News. There you'll find our podcast, regular blog entries and articles, community events, and links to where you can find us on Facebook and Twitter.

This messageboard is reactively moderated.

Find out more about this board's House Rules

Search this Board

Live community panel

Our blog is the main place to go for all things Ouch! Find info, comment, articles and great disability content on the web via us.

Mat and Liz
Listen to our regular razor sharp talk show online, or subscribe to it as a podcast. Spread the word: it's where disability and reality almost collide.

More from the BBC

BBC Sport

Disability Sport

All the latest news from the paralympics.

Peter White

In Touch

News and views for people who are blind or partially sighted.

BBC Radio 4

You & Yours

Weekdays 12.40pm. Radio 4's consumer affairs programme.

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.