Ouch! Talk  permalink

Crip Chic

This discussion has been closed.

• Message 1. 

Posted by Wobbling Wilma (U1818838) on Tuesday, 9th August 2005

Ok,

Now we're all arriving...

Over on the old board, Lady B and I were having a nice little chat about walking stick chic - as in cool and groovy mobility aids that don't look like you borrowed them off yer grandma / stole them from the nearest NHS hospital. This was partly inspired by the lovely Jonny Depp and his most loveliest walking cane in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, as illustrated here:

chocolatefactorymovi...

(Click on the thumbnail of Jonny/Willy Wonka, left hand column, third from top to see what we were dribbling over... for our VI users, it shows a 'knob tobbed' walking stick - i.e. the bit you grab on to is spherical, and black and white swirly candy-striped. The stick itself is full of brightly coloured sweets: jelly beans, I think.)

Obviously, Lady B and I are both stick-weilding ladies... anyone else know any cool mobility aids they'd like to tell us about... fantasy mobility aids... mobility aids you'd love to own?

WW
    x

Report message1

• Message 2

, in reply to message 1.

Posted by smogstar (U1818940) on Tuesday, 9th August 2005

I have some brilliant metallic pink crutches!

Report message2

• Message 3

, in reply to message 1.

Posted by Lady_Bracknell (U1819465) on Tuesday, 9th August 2005

I couldn't resist: I have ordered one of the blue lucite crook-handled sticks. smiley - loveblush

I had hoped I was going to be able to provide a link to the clear canes site once the new boards were up and running, but I think that would break the rules on the grounds that it relates to a commercial enterprise i.e. they sell fab sticks!!

My stick should have successfully flown across the Atlantic in a couple of weeks' time, so I shall most definitely be reporting back here on what it's like in the flesh, so to speak.

AND, if it's anything like as uber-cool as I think it's going to be, I'll order some other colours as well. In fact, I'm thinking of co-ordinating them with my spec frames, which means I'll need a purple one and a red one yet...... smiley - biggrin

Report message3

• Message 4

, in reply to message 2.

Posted by Swift_ (U1723094) on Tuesday, 9th August 2005

Probably my silver violet dream Quickie - the framework looks cool at least, but the seating spoils it.

My dream would be do actually have 'cool' patterns for wheelchair seating and standers...as opposed to the zoo animals smiley - winkeye smiley - doh

Report message4

• Message 5

, in reply to message 3.

I couldn't resist: I have ordered one of the blue lucite crook-handled sticks. smiley - loveblush 

How jealous am I! On reflection, I decided the crystal embedded one might be a bit Pimp for me...

Report message5

• Message 6

, in reply to message 5.

Posted by Chris_Page (U557481) on Tuesday, 9th August 2005

No sense of adventure, Wilma!

Report message6

• Message 7

, in reply to message 5.

How jealous am I! On reflection, I decided the crystal embedded one might be a bit Pimp for me... 

There's nothing to stop you indulging as well. He's only sold 9 to UK customers so far, so we could start a trend smiley - winkeye

They're cheaper than the crystal embedded model as well. The whole thing - including shipping from the States - cost under £37.

Boogaloo Dude is waiting for mine to arrive before making a final decision on whether to get himself one with an LED light for posing with when he's performing with his band on stage.....

Report message7

• Message 8

, in reply to message 7.

I want one which works on the principle of those trainers which flash when you put your heel down... I want a flash of light every time I put my stick down, pulsating up and down the stick.

And Chris... No sense of adventure? You haven't seen the one I bought in a craft market in Cuba, made out of four different types of Cuban wood. Granted, it *wasn't* made out of turtle-shell like some of the others. In my defence, trying to get that back across the border is smuggling, and, erm, I wouldn't want to offend any of our Turtle buddies...

Report message8

• Message 9

, in reply to message 8.

Oh alright, then! smiley - winkeye

Report message9

• Message 10

, in reply to message 9.

Posted by Turtle (U1818856) on Tuesday, 9th August 2005

JEALOOOUS

WHere are you lot getting this stuff from? mine are NHS crutches but have homemade fake dalmation print fur on the top
    i'll take a pic of em cos i'm saaaad

Report message10

• Message 11

, in reply to message 10.

JEALOOOUS

WHere are you lot getting this stuff from?

Many hours of tireless web surfing, to be honest. I hadn't looked for a while, but was spurred into doing so again by my conversation with Wobbling Wilma last week.

Cool mobility aids are as rare as a very rare thing. Although, now that the design potential of hearing aids and prosthetic limbs has been recognised, maybe we won't have TOO long to wait before sticks and crutches catch up.

In the meantime, Google 'clear canes' and prepare to fall in lust... smiley - magic

Report message11

• Message 12

, in reply to message 11.

Well wheelchairs have been funky for ages - pity I can't afford or use most of them.....

Report message12

• Message 13

, in reply to message 11.

Posted by Melbamae (U1820267) on Tuesday, 9th August 2005

Actually my dear Lady B, my husband has been sporting only the coolest crutches known to man for the last oh 8 years or so.

Thomas Fetterman (the Rolls Royce of crutch makers) made him a gorgeous set of metalic purple crutches 8 years ago....complete with gel filled handles, leather cushioned arm cuffs, virtually slip proof gripping gel filled tips and removable ice tips for those snowy slick days. He said when he got them he'd never walked more comfortably as he did on those. No more aching shoulders or jarred elbows....just smooth safe walking.

It's a shame he hasn't been able to use them the last few years.

Report message13

• Message 14

, in reply to message 13.

Actually my dear Lady B, my husband has been sporting only the coolest crutches known to man for the last oh 8 years or so.

Thomas Fetterman (the Rolls Royce of crutch makers) made him a gorgeous set of metalic purple crutches 8 years ago....complete with gel filled handles, leather cushioned arm cuffs, virtually slip proof gripping gel filled tips and removable ice tips for those snowy slick days. He said when he got them he'd never walked more comfortably as he did on those. No more aching shoulders or jarred elbows....just smooth safe walking.

It's a shame he hasn't been able to use them the last few years.

But OF COURSE he had. Nothing, knowing as much about your husband as I do, would surprise me less smiley - winkeye

Report message14

• Message 15

, in reply to message 1.

Posted by tam (U1723260) on Tuesday, 9th August 2005

I was visiting a friend this morning, he has a superb stick whose handle is in the shape of a snarling wolf's head with VERY big teeth.

I said, Where did you get that? I want that one!! but he said he had inherited it from his dad. He thought it was Indian in origin. smiley - sadface

Tam

Report message15

• Message 16

, in reply to message 15.

I was visiting a friend this morning, he has a superb stick whose handle is in the shape of a snarling wolf's head with VERY big teeth.

I said, Where did you get that? I want that one!! but he said he had inherited it from his dad. He thought it was Indian in origin. smiley - sadface

Tam 

I thought you were a wheelie crip, Tam?

Do you moonlight as a sticky crip as well, or do you just have an abiding desire to own beautiful and unusual sticks?

Report message16

• Message 17

, in reply to message 16.

Oh, yuck!

I've discovered that there's a seller on ebay offering a walking stick artistically fashioned from a bull's penis.

Apparently it's a "great talking point".

How grim is that? smiley - yikes

Report message17

• Message 18

, in reply to message 8.

I want one which works on the principle of those trainers which flash when you put your heel down... I want a flash of light every time I put my stick down, pulsating up and down the stick.

This is SO not what you're after. Chic it ain't. Although I can see that it could be USEFUL....

There's an American company called Pathlighter which produces .. erm... 'lighted safety canes'. They're a 'Bright New Way to get around safely'.

The lower half of the shaft on a standard orthopaedic cane has been replaced by a bright torch, so that you can see where you're putting your feet. The switch for the torch is in the stick handle, so you can just turn it on if you can't see your feet in front of you.

It's just one of those things which you KNOW is a good idea, but which you wouldn't be seen dead using....

What I've also found - and this is not only a good idea, but an unobtrusive one - is a stick which has a personal alarm built into the handle. Which could be an excellent way of alerting walkie talkies on the bus/train/tube to the fact that you really DO need them to give up their seat for you. smiley - laugh

Report message18

• Message 19

, in reply to message 16.

Posted by tam (U1723260) on Tuesday, 9th August 2005

I'm a part-time wheelie, Lady B, depending on the weather and me joints. Sometimes I get day-release for good behaviour.

Tam

Report message19

• Message 20

, in reply to message 19.

I'm a part-time wheelie, Lady B, depending on the weather and me joints. Sometimes I get day-release for good behaviour.

Tam 

I can't believe you ever behave BADLY, Tam. Unless there's a dark side of yourself you're keeping from us.... smiley - devil

Report message20

• Message 21

, in reply to message 20.

Posted by tam (U1723260) on Wednesday, 10th August 2005

Lady B

It's a points system. So many points for dropping something (a) breakable (b) bounceable; so many for chipping the paintwork with the chair; so many for taking it out on other people; so many for treading on the cat. (Course, the cat's got her own points system: how many times can I get him to tread on me and feel guilty enough to give me an extra prawn?).

Score kept by Him Up In The Sky and days off awarded accordingly.

Tam

Report message21

• Message 22

, in reply to message 18.

Posted by Wobbling Wilma (U1818838) on Wednesday, 10th August 2005

This is SO not what you're after. Chic it ain't. Although I can see that it could be USEFUL.... 

God no, I wasn't thinking practical. I was thinking Disco Stick... Maybe you're right, though...

Report message22

• Message 23

, in reply to message 22.

Posted by wheelspinner (U1828341) on Wednesday, 10th August 2005

My new RGK that I ordered a few weeks ago is going to be silver and metallicylilacy colour, so we will see how that works out...

My crutches, originally bright yellow (bleeuuuugghhhhh) then spray painted purple to match a bridesmaid's dress, now have very trendy yellow scratch marks. Very glam (not).

I want a wheelchair where you can magically press a button and it co-ordinates with your outfit for the day (I seriously regret going for the bright turquoise option when I was 15 for the power - especially when I'm wearing red!)

Report message23

• Message 24

, in reply to message 23.

Posted by L Barbs (U1826608) on Wednesday, 10th August 2005

I WANT ONE, I WANT ONE!!!!

....not that I've ever used a stick!

Report message24

• Message 25

Posted by Lady_Bracknell (U1819465) on Wednesday, 10th August 2005

God no, I wasn't thinking practical. I was thinking Disco Stick... Maybe you're right, though... 

Don't even think about it. It was possibly the least attractive mobility aid in the world ever.

Anyhow, you don't want a stick that lights up to show you the way, you want a stick which lights up for entirely recreational purposes. Haven't yet found one of those, though.... smiley - sadface

Report message25

• Message 26

, in reply to message 21.

Lady B

(Course, the cat's got her own points system: how many times can I get him to tread on me and feel guilty enough to give me an extra prawn?).

Tam 

I must owe my cat a LOT of prawns. Had to hold her down by the scruff of her neck yesterday and cut out a matted bit of fur. She was NOT happy...

Report message26

• Message 27

, in reply to message 26.

Posted by tam (U1723260) on Wednesday, 10th August 2005

Flea treatments are the worst, because it takes 2 people, one to chase the cat, one (me) to hold the cat, first one to apply the spot-on.

When Custard sees 2 of us coming, she knows it's GBH time.

Report message27

• Message 28

, in reply to message 27.

I have to go to the vet for that. What with there being only the one of me.....

Report message28

• Message 29

, in reply to message 27.

Posted by boogaloo_dude (U1839939) on Thursday, 11th August 2005

I've always wanted a cat called Custard. It would go so well with my existing two - Treacle and Pudding (honestly!)

Report message29

• Message 30

, in reply to message 28.

Posted by Chris_Page (U557481) on Thursday, 11th August 2005

When were you treated for fleas, dear?

Report message30

• Message 31

, in reply to message 30.

Posted by Lady_Bracknell (U1819465) on Thursday, 11th August 2005

When were you treated for fleas, dear? 

I was being linguistically economical. I was actually referring - as you know very well - to dear old Fishbone's unwelcome visitors. Not my own.

Booglaoo Dude, on the other hand is currently having TERRIBLE trouble with fleas. To the extent that he felt compelled to show me the bites on his leg yesterday. Nice.

Report message31

• Message 32

Posted by Vaughan Simons (U1726438) on Thursday, 11th August 2005

Now, is it just me, or does Wobbling Wilma's Disco Stick not sound like absolutely the most fabulous disability-related product name EVER? smiley - biggrin I think you're sitting on a potential goldmine there.

• Message 33

, in reply to message 31.

Another example of linguistic economy I fear. Mine are cat fleas too. Really.

And yes, I do have nice legs smiley - whistle

Report message33

• Message 34

, in reply to message 32.

You're not going to let me get away with posting a link to the site which has a photo of the closest to disco-stick perfection I've been able to find, though, are you Wiz? Given that, although THAT stick's not for sale, all the others on the site ARE...

OK, back to the old method smiley - sigh

Google using the search term 'clear canes'. Click on the first hit in the resulting list. Scroll down to the bottom of the page, and click on the "gallery quotations glo-pole" link.

Report message34

• Message 35

, in reply to message 33.

Compared to what, exactly? smiley - yikes

Report message35

• Message 36

, in reply to message 35.

A piano? smiley - erm

Report message36

• Message 37

, in reply to message 36.

A piano? smiley - erm 

The rest of me! smiley - laugh

Report message37

• Message 38

, in reply to message 37.

Fair point.

Report message38

• Message 39

, in reply to message 38.

Ouch - literally....

Report message39

• Message 40

, in reply to message 1.

Posted by oichick621 (U5876890) on Friday, 29th September 2006

I have front wheels that light up on my manual chair. As I move they blink. I also have leopard print wheelchair rim covers, I sell them at The Gimp Store.

I use to know a gal who made joystick doodads for power chairs, they were awesome! I don't think she makes them, but if I found out she still does I'll post about it.

Bonnie

Report message40

• Message 41

, in reply to message 40.

Posted by nuttyblonde84 (U3360159) on Friday, 29th September 2006

How do you lot find all this cool stuff. I went on the web and put in "fantasy mobility aids" and all I got was Fantasy ribbed condoms the essential health aid LMAO. I suppose they could come in handy, you never know smiley - winkeye

Report message41

About this Board

The Ouch! messageboard has now closed. Messages you have posted will remain archived.

or register to take part in a discussion.

The message board is currently closed for posting.

To continue the conversation visit Ouch's blog (bbc.co.uk/ouch) - now part of BBC News. There you'll find our podcast, regular blog entries and articles, community events, and links to where you can find us on Facebook and Twitter.

This messageboard is reactively moderated.

Find out more about this board's House Rules

Search this Board

Live community panel

Our blog is the main place to go for all things Ouch! Find info, comment, articles and great disability content on the web via us.

Mat and Liz
Listen to our regular razor sharp talk show online, or subscribe to it as a podcast. Spread the word: it's where disability and reality almost collide.

More from the BBC

BBC Sport

Disability Sport

All the latest news from the paralympics.

Peter White

In Touch

News and views for people who are blind or partially sighted.

BBC Radio 4

You & Yours

Weekdays 12.40pm. Radio 4's consumer affairs programme.

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.