Dancing On Wheels  permalink

Head and Shoulders Shots?

This discussion has been closed.

• Message 1. 

Posted by Bucky1 (U14380285) on Thursday, 11th March 2010

Whats with all the head and shoulders camera shots? Are the producers frightened of showing the disabilities?

Well done James mate, you are great!

Report message1

• Message 2

, in reply to message 1.

Posted by limpinglimpet (U13868921) on Thursday, 11th March 2010

I agree. Why the head and shoulder shots during the dances? Surely we can concentrate on 90 seconds of full frame unadulterated dancing?

It reminds me of complaints about the figure skating in the Olympic games some years ago. Letter to the paper - 'the girl has a pretty face. But that is not what she is marked on'

And why cut to Brian mid routine? Whatever your opinion of the man, I wanted to see the dancing not him pom-pomming along to the music.

Report message2

• Message 3

, in reply to message 2.

Posted by Julian Hall (U2873105) on Friday, 12th March 2010

I agree with all comments so far. If you compare the actual dance routine coverage in DOW to SCD then SCD shows a lot more full length shots - not so much of the 'arty' rubbish directors seem to like these days. Having said that I do have the same complaint about SCD when it's on - albeit to a lesser degree. I think in SCD's case they show some closeups so that when judges comment on small details you have a fighting chance of having seen what they are on about.

What DOW's excuse is though is open to debate.

Also in SCD you are dealing with two people standing so from a technical viewpoint it's possible to do a close-up of them both at the same time - obviously assuming they are standing close enough together. In DOW it's a bad idea to do closeups because you can only concentrate on one at a time.

Cutting to Brian though was totally spurious - had they wanted to show him enjoying the dance they could have inserted an image of him in the corner, or better yet shown it after.

Report message3

• Message 4

, in reply to message 3.

Posted by auntieCtheM (U14260383) on Saturday, 13th March 2010

It is what Brian was quoted as saying in another thread - 'emotional' is what they are after. The main point of the programme, it seems to me is to generate tons and tons of emotion.

Hence shots of people crying, hugging, shots behind the scenes whilst other couples are dancing to see little tears; lots of anger and frustration and a few stormings out.

Of course they have to make an enjoyable programme. But the dancing is not centre stage as others have said. The costumes were often ill-fitting and not as well designed as they could be - remember the orange nylon shirt?

Attending the European whatsists is not the centre-piece either. Or they would have had professional-standard dancers with the wheel-chair users, given each couple their own trainer and had a proper dance-hall to film in rather than the studio draped with a few hangings.

This is just like the other reality programmes. Anyone remember the Regency programmes where they put young men and women in a house in Wales for the summer and made them do Regency-style dancing, eating and other pastimes? The main aim was to see if the people formed couples.

Much better reality programming was the one called Victorian Farm, where they used professionals to impart knowledge as well as entertain. You still saw emotion - but real emotion, when an animal was born or the harvest did not happen.

That is what the BBC is good at. Factual things.

It seems to me that they have imported the vision of 'emotion is all' from the comic/newspapers. I think this is a very short-sighted mission, and unworthy of an organisation of such calibre as the BBC.

Report message4

• Message 5

, in reply to message 4.

Posted by Julian Hall (U2873105) on Sunday, 14th March 2010

If we're talking reality TV on the Beeb, I start from a position of despising pretty much all reality TV. However, the BBC Wales programme Coal House was, for me, very enjoyable. If you've not seen it three modern families were dropped into a scenario of the south wales valleys in 1944 for a month and had to survive on rationing, air raids (albeit in reality by 1944 we had air supremacy so air raids were rare by then if not totally gone), going to work down the pits or for the women in the arms factory etc.

It seemed to me about as realistic as they could make it, quite poignant in fact that one mother had a husband in Iraq so she could easily empathise with how WWII wives felt bringing up a family with the worry about their husband fighting overseas. I enjoyed it not least because my late father grew up in the south wales valleys during WWII.

Anyway back to DOW. Yes I agree with what you've said auntie, it seems DOW was aimed at being more about the 'journeys' {oh how I hate that word) than the actual end product.

On the subject of journeys v end product I'm also reminded of the shabby idea of throwing Andrew Lloyd Webber at the Eurovision Song Contest last year. Fine composer that he is, he has no clue what music European voters are buying and *that* is the key to Euro success. Dima Bilan already had chart success BEFORE he won, and so did Lordi. Is this so hard to work out?

Sorry to wander off topic but I thought it was relevant to the issue of emotion v substance in reality TV smiley - smiley

Report message5

• Message 6

, in reply to message 5.

Posted by auntieCtheM (U14260383) on Sunday, 14th March 2010

Hi Julian,

I have to confess that I do not have a TV. Haven't had one for about 10 years now.

About twice a year I look at the see-it-again thing. Since people were talking about the programme I just felt I had to have a look. I am fascinated, yet appalled at the same time.

Dancing is lovely. Watching dancing is almost a good. Such a shame that they spent so much time getting things not-quite-right. Only a little more effort and they could have had a programme that people would have thoroughly enjoyed.

Report message6

• Message 7

, in reply to message 4.

Posted by David Tibballs (U14404945) on Wednesday, 31st March 2010

I'm the producer of Dancing On Wheels. We couldn't use professional dancers because the European Championships are for amateurs only. And as we wanted to promote wheelchair dance sport we decided to make the series with celebrities who we hoped would bring a new audience to the dancing.
    David

Report message7

• Message 8

, in reply to message 7.

Posted by auntieCtheM (U14260383) on Wednesday, 31st March 2010

Hello David,

Thank you so much for replying. I expect that you realise there has been a lot of controversy over your programme.

Can I ask, how much discussion did you have with people of differing disabilities when you were at the planning stages?

I think that we all agree that having a greater variety of people on the television and radio is a good idea. Ideally the media should at least reflect the balance of people in the general population.

However, I feel that the general view is that a more informed view of people with disabilities could have made this programme more informative, instructive and motivational.

A little less raw emotion and a little more of the differences/similarities between people using wheelchairs and able-bodied dancers, something of the practical difficulties and how people overcame them would be more appropriate. There is a lot of legislation about how people with disabilities should be treated and this programme could have gone some way in helping the general public appreciate what they could do when they see an obviously disabled person (wheelchair or not). This would not necessarily have affected the get-people-dancing concept.

What do you think?

Report message8

• Message 9

, in reply to message 8.

Posted by salsaboy (U14166961) on Wednesday, 7th April 2010

Isn't it odd that David Tiballs - producer - has made a single comment of four lines on one aspect of the programme given the many requests for dialogue and points of view expressed here?

Report message9

About this Board

The Ouch! messageboard has now closed. Messages you have posted will remain archived.

or register to take part in a discussion.

The message board is currently closed for posting.

To continue the conversation visit Ouch's blog (bbc.co.uk/ouch) - now part of BBC News. There you'll find our podcast, regular blog entries and articles, community events, and links to where you can find us on Facebook and Twitter.

This messageboard is reactively moderated.

Find out more about this board's House Rules

Search this Board

Live community panel

Our blog is the main place to go for all things Ouch! Find info, comment, articles and great disability content on the web via us.

Mat and Liz
Listen to our regular razor sharp talk show online, or subscribe to it as a podcast. Spread the word: it's where disability and reality almost collide.

More from the BBC

BBC Sport

Disability Sport

All the latest news from the paralympics.

Peter White

In Touch

News and views for people who are blind or partially sighted.

BBC Radio 4

You & Yours

Weekdays 12.40pm. Radio 4's consumer affairs programme.

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.