Ouch! Talk  permalink

Getting away with murder

This discussion has been closed.

• Message 1. 

Posted by sparklecloudnine (U13248245) on Tuesday, 2nd September 2008

Have you all read this report 'Getting Away with Murder' just published by Disability Now, Scope and the UK Disabled People's Council?

The report highlights the fact there is a widespread lack of understanding among police, lawyers, judges and the media of the extent of hate crime against disabled people.

www.timetogetequal.o...

It is a shocking report and details some of the most horrific hate crimes committed against disabled people in the UK. I just hope that the law is changed to ensure that the people recognise that in its worst form, the consequences of disablism is as serious as racism or any other hate crime.

As a disabled person myself I have on occasion experienced very minor harassment, name-calling etc in the street because of my impairment (which is visible) and have often thought that if people were calling me names because of my race I could report it to the police. But I don't feel that the police would take such disability harassment seriously.

I think it is also interesting that the report makes the comparison between disabled people being seen as 'vulnerable' and therefore the acceptance that they are more likely to be victims of crime and the old cliche that women who were victims of violent crime somehow needed to change their behaviour (not go out alone at night, not dress in a certain way etc) rather than tackling the people committing the crimes.

I remember that here in Scotland we had a zero tolerence campaign which sought to stop minor offenses being committed against women in order to stop the progression to serious crime and violence against women. Perhaps we need to have a big Zero Tolerence campaign for Disabled People.

Report message1

• Message 2

, in reply to this message.

Posted by bulekingfisher (U8365651) on Tuesday, 2nd September 2008

Hello Sparkligcloudnine

The police,Lawyers, Judge's ect are all bound by Political Correctness and P.C bears no recembalnce to human behavior so all polations are a bloody waste of space and ecconomically not viable

Report message2

About this Board

The Ouch! messageboard has now closed. Messages you have posted will remain archived.

or register to take part in a discussion.

The message board is currently closed for posting.

To continue the conversation visit Ouch's blog (bbc.co.uk/ouch) - now part of BBC News. There you'll find our podcast, regular blog entries and articles, community events, and links to where you can find us on Facebook and Twitter.

This messageboard is reactively moderated.

Find out more about this board's House Rules

Search this Board

Live community panel

Our blog is the main place to go for all things Ouch! Find info, comment, articles and great disability content on the web via us.

Mat and Liz
Listen to our regular razor sharp talk show online, or subscribe to it as a podcast. Spread the word: it's where disability and reality almost collide.

More from the BBC

BBC Sport

Disability Sport

All the latest news from the paralympics.

Peter White

In Touch

News and views for people who are blind or partially sighted.

BBC Radio 4

You & Yours

Weekdays 12.40pm. Radio 4's consumer affairs programme.

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.