Mahler's Second Symphony, 'Resurrection'
with the BBC Philharmonic
Saturday 24 September 2011, 7.30pm
The Bridgewater Hall, Lower Mosley Street, Manchester M2 3WS
part of the BBC Philharmonic 2011-12 Season series
MAHLER Symphony No. 2 ‘Resurrection’
Juanjo Mena conductor
Susan Gritton soprano
Iris Vermillion mezzo-soprano
London Symphony Chorus
CHANGE OF ARTIST NOTICE (Fri 23 Sep): Owing to illness, soprano Susan Gritton will sadly be unable to perform in this concert. We are delighted however to welcome Ailish Tynan who has stepped in at very short notice.
New Chief Conductor Juanjo Mena talks to BBC Philharmonic General Manager Richard Wigley about his new role.
A man stands alone at the grave of a friend. Shattered by grief, he shakes his fist at the heavens and takes the first step on a journey that will sweep him through heaven and hell, past Viennese waltzes and distant fanfares, and finally to the end of the world itself – and beyond. This is Gustav Mahler’s Resurrection symphony. Written for an immense orchestra and a world-class choir, it’s quite simply overwhelming.
The BBC Philharmonic won the Sky Arts South Bank Award for their performance of Mahler 8 last season, so join the orchestra and Juanjo Mena as he takes the stage for his very first concert as Chief Conductor.
"Edge-of-your-seat stuff, and utterly thrilling"
The BBC Philharmonic perform Mahler Symphony No. 1
The Guardian, Jan 2010
Tickets also available from The Bridgewater Hall.
How to get there
- Metrolink tram passengers should alight at St Peter’s Square. Discounted Metrolink vouchers are available to purchase from the Box Office or online when you buy your concert tickets. The discounted fare is £3.00 adult and £1.50 child; vouchers are valid for unlimited travel from any Metrolink stop after 9.30am.
- The nearest bus stops for major routes into the city centre are St Peter’s Square, Portland Street or Deansgate.
- The nearest rail stations are Deansgate and Oxford Road.
- If travelling by car, please allow plenty of time for your journey. For satellite navigation, the Hall’s postcode is M2 3WS. The nearest car parks are Park Avenue, NCP Manchester Central (formerly G-Mex), NCP Great Northern or NCP Oxford Street. Manchester Central car park is linked directly to The Bridgewater Hall by an underpass beneath Lower Mosley Street.
- The Bridgewater Hall welcomes deaf and disabled patrons. If you have any specific access requirements please ask the Box Office on 0161 907 9000.