Total Immersion: Brian Ferneyhough
with the BBC Singers
Saturday 26 February 2011, 7pm
Barbican, Silk Street, London EC2Y 8DS
La terre est un homme
Carceri d'invenzione III
Plötzlichkeit (UK premiere)
BBC Symphony Orchestra
Martyn Brabbins conductor
James Morgan conductor*
With introductions from Julian Anderson and Brian Ferneyhough
Tonight's Total Immersion concert spans the broad gamut of Ferneyhough's invention, from the Missa brevis for 12 solo singers of 1969 to the UK premiere of Plötzlichkeit , a 20-minute masterpiece for large orchestra. The programme also includes a rare chance to hear the third part of his Carceri d'invenzione cycle, a seminal work of the 1980s inspired by Piranesi's etchings of imagined dungeons and infernal places of imprisonment. Discover the multiform artistic influences and ideas behind the work of a composer who represents the antithesis of the predictable, the enemy of the routine.
How to get there
- The nearest Underground station is Barbican, on the Circle, Metropolitan and Hammersmith & City lines.To reach the Barbican,exit the station and cross Aldersgate Street in front of you. Walk through the road tunnel (Beech Street) before taking the first turning right into Silk Street. The Barbican is straight ahead of you. Alternatively, exit the station using the stairs to the first floor, crossing the road using the footbridge before following the signs to the Barbican. Other Underground stations nearby are Moorgate, St Paul's, Bank, Liverpool Street and Mansion House.
- Bus Route 153 stops outside the Barbican in Silk Street. Starting from outside Liverpool Street Station, it runs daily to the Barbican, Angel and Finsbury Park. Other services running near the Barbican are as follows: 8, 11, 23, 26, 35, 42, 43, 47, 48, 55, 56, 76,78, 100, 133, 141, 149, 172, 214, 242, 243, 271, 344 (7 days a week); 4, (Mon-Sat); 21, 25, 521 (Mon-Fri).
- The nearest rail stations are Liverpool Street, Farringdon and Blackfriars. City Thameslink services serve Barbican, Moorgate and Cannon Street.
- The Barbican is clearly sign-posted and has four car parks. Two are off Beech Street (westbound access only) and two are off Silk Street near the main entrance. Please allow plenty of time for your journey. All car parks have a height restriction of 6'1". If the Barbican car parks are full, alternative parking is available in Aldersgate Street.
- The Main entrance at Silk Street is ramped and lifts give access to all levels. All our venues have seating for wheelchair users - please inform us of any access requirements on booking. There are three wheelchairs for visitors' use, subject to availability; these can be pre-booked by calling the Box Office on 020 7638 8891.