BBC Philharmonic Family Concert
with the BBC Philharmonic
Saturday 02 April 2011, 3pm
The Bridgewater Hall, Lower Mosley Street, Manchester M2 3WS
part of the BBC Philharmonic 2010-11 Season series
BBC Philharmonic Family Concert
John Williams Theme from Star Wars Chris Jarvis Presenter
Tchaikovsky Rose adagio from Sleeping Beauty
John Williams Hedwig's theme from Harry Potter
Ivor Hodgson Prince Charming
Prokofiev Waltz and Midnight from Cinderella
Mendelssohn Wedding March from A Midsummer Night's Dream
Dukas The Sorcerer's Apprentice
Stravinsky Infernal Dance and Finale from Firebird Suite
Richard Davis Conductor
Mr Zooka Illusionist
John Williams Theme from Star Wars
Chris Jarvis Presenter
On Saturday 2 April, 3pm, CBeebies presenter Chris Jarvis returns to Manchester’s Bridgewater Hall with the award-winning BBC Philharmonic Orchestra for a rip-roaring musical story-telling adventure!
With conductor Richard Davis, the orchestra will conjure up stories of wizards, witches, heroes and princesses in this musical adventure for all ages. The concert will feature music from family favourites such as Harry Potter, The Sorcerer’s Apprentice and The Nutcracker.
The concert also features a more unusual re-telling of Cinderella – updated to the digital age! Written by Ivor Hodgson, a double bassist in the BBC Philharmonic and narrated by Chris Jarvis, this raucous tale follows Prince Charming’s disastrous first ball.
The whole concert lasts for approximately one hour and there will be big screens in the auditorium so all the family will have a clear view of what’s going on. Before and after the concert there’s family friendly activities including magic tricks, arts and crafts activities and storytelling.
We also want you to share in our love of fairytales and are inviting children to write their very own short stories beginning with ‘Once upon a time…’ then post them on our Facebook page! www.facebook.com/pages/BBC-Philharmonic.
If you like add an illustration or picture you’ve drawn and post that too! Share your creativity and love of ‘happily ever afters’ with the public and fans of the orchestra.
Children are also invited to dress up as their favourite story book character on the day of the concert.
How to get there
- Metrolink tram passengers should alight at St Peter’s Square. Discounted Metrolink vouchers are available to purchase from the Box Office or online when you buy your concert tickets. The discounted fare is £3.00 adult and £1.50 child; vouchers are valid for unlimited travel from any Metrolink stop after 9.30am.
- The nearest bus stops for major routes into the city centre are St Peter’s Square, Portland Street or Deansgate.
- The nearest rail stations are Deansgate and Oxford Road.
- If travelling by car, please allow plenty of time for your journey. For satellite navigation, the Hall’s postcode is M2 3WS. The nearest car parks are Park Avenue, NCP Manchester Central (formerly G-Mex), NCP Great Northern or NCP Oxford Street. Manchester Central car park is linked directly to The Bridgewater Hall by an underpass beneath Lower Mosley Street.
- The Bridgewater Hall welcomes deaf and disabled patrons. If you have any specific access requirements please ask the Box Office on 0161 907 9000.