Hear and Now
with the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra
Saturday 05 February 2011, 7.30pm
City Halls, Candleriggs, Glasgow G1 1NQ
JS Bach, arr. Webern Ricercar from ‘The Musical Offering' (c.7')
Matthias Pintscher songs from Solomon's garden* (2009) (c.20') UK Premiere
David Fulmer Violin Concerto (2010) (UK Premiere) (c.23')
Michael Jarrell Instantanés (1986) (UK Premiere) (c.16')
Zimmermann (1918-1970) Stille und Umkehr (1970) (c.10')
Evan Hughes baritone*
David Fulmer violin
Matthias Pintscher conductor (BBC SSO Artist-in-Association)
BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra
Glasgow audiences had their first chance to hear Matthias Pintscher’s beautiful and haunting sounds last year. Here he returns with another of his own highly crafted works as well as earlier pieces from Michael Jarrell and Bernd Alois Zimmermann. In keeping with the BBC SSO’s commitment to new music, David Fulmer gives the UK Premiere of his own Violin Concerto. The evening opens with Webern’s masterful orchestration of the fugue from Bach’s The Musical Offering.
This concert will be recorded for future broadcast on BBC Radio 3's programme Hear and Now.
How to get there
- The nearest subway station is St Enoch, which is approximately a ten-minute walk from the venues.
- Many local service buses pass close by City Halls and the Old Fruitmarket, either along Trongate or Glassford Street. Most are operated by First Bus.
- Queen Street and Central Stations are a ten-minute walk from the venues. For information on rail travel within the UK, National Rail is the official source for all rail information, train times and timetables.
- On the M8 motorway, take junction 15, turn left onto Castle Street following signs for the Royal Infirmary/East Kilbride/A730. Castle Street becomes High Street and at the fourth set of traffic lights, turn right onto Ingram Street. Candleriggs is the second street on the left. The nearest car parks is the Q-Park on Albion Street which offers parking deals for our customers – call the box office on 0141 353 8000 for more details.
- The Grand Hall at City Halls is accessible to those with mobility difficulties. A lift from the Candleriggs entrance gives access to all levels. Our Concert Halls are fitted with infra-red assisted hearing systems which are specially designed for use in large auditoria. Please notify the Box Office when booking.