Smetana The Bartered Bride
with the BBC Symphony Orchestra
Friday 20 May 2011, 7pm
Barbican, Silk Street, London EC2Y 8DS
part of the BBC SO 2010-11 Barbican Season series
Smetana The Bartered Bride
Jiří Belohlávek conductor
Jiří Belohlávek turns to one of the great keystones of Czech opera for his final festive celebration of the BBC Symphony Orchestra’s 80th season. Smetana’s comic opera, with its potent blend of Bohemian dances, heartfelt melodies and flamboyant Czech spirit, achieved global success in the 1870s and has remained in the international repertoire ever since. The BBC SO’s Chief Conductor conducts a mostly Czech cast.
Dana Burešová Marenka
Tomáš Juhás Jeník
Josef Benci Kecal
Aleš Voráček Vašek
Kateřina Kněžíková Esmeralda
Lucie Hilscherová Hata
Jaroslav Březina Principal
Svatopluk Sem Krusina
Stanislava Jirků Ludmilla
Gustáv Beláček Micha
Ondrej Mraz Indian
Maxim Dusek Child
Babette Rust Child
Kenneth Richardson director
Performed in Czech with English surtitles
Pre-concert talk, 6pm
Jan Smaczny introduces tonight’s concert
Free to ticket-holders for the evening concert.
How to get there
- The nearest Underground station is Barbican, on the Circle, Metropolitan and Hammersmith & City lines.To reach the Barbican,exit the station and cross Aldersgate Street in front of you. Walk through the road tunnel (Beech Street) before taking the first turning right into Silk Street. The Barbican is straight ahead of you. Alternatively, exit the station using the stairs to the first floor, crossing the road using the footbridge before following the signs to the Barbican. Other Underground stations nearby are Moorgate, St Paul's, Bank, Liverpool Street and Mansion House.
- Bus Route 153 stops outside the Barbican in Silk Street. Starting from outside Liverpool Street Station, it runs daily to the Barbican, Angel and Finsbury Park. Other services running near the Barbican are as follows: 8, 11, 23, 26, 35, 42, 43, 47, 48, 55, 56, 76,78, 100, 133, 141, 149, 172, 214, 242, 243, 271, 344 (7 days a week); 4, (Mon-Sat); 21, 25, 521 (Mon-Fri).
- The nearest rail stations are Liverpool Street, Farringdon and Blackfriars. City Thameslink services serve Barbican, Moorgate and Cannon Street.
- The Barbican is clearly sign-posted and has four car parks. Two are off Beech Street (westbound access only) and two are off Silk Street near the main entrance. Please allow plenty of time for your journey. All car parks have a height restriction of 6'1". If the Barbican car parks are full, alternative parking is available in Aldersgate Street.
- The Main entrance at Silk Street is ramped and lifts give access to all levels. All our venues have seating for wheelchair users - please inform us of any access requirements on booking. There are three wheelchairs for visitors' use, subject to availability; these can be pre-booked by calling the Box Office on 020 7638 8891.