Stravinsky, Prokofiev and Dalbavie
with the BBC Symphony Orchestra
Friday 17 December 2010, 7pm
Barbican, Silk Street, London EC2Y 8DS
part of the BBC SO 2010-11 Barbican Season series
Moscow-born Alexei Ogrintchouk's cuttings book includes superlative reviews and details of a glittering solo and orchestral career. He joins the BBC Symphony Orchestra and its Chief Conductor to give the premiere of a new Oboe Concerto by Marc-André Dalbavie, explorer of ‘spectral music' and discoverer of breathtaking realms of sound. Premiered in 1947 as Russia was reeling from the after effects of the Second World War, Prokofiev's 6th symphony is widely regarded as his masterpiece.
Pre-concert talk, 6pm
An introduction to tonight's concert
Free to ticket-holders for the evening concert. Limited capacity - please arrive early to avoid disappointment.
BBC Family Music Intro concert, 6pm
An introduction to concert-going for families with discounted tickets at £5 each and a free, pre-concert Meet the Musicians Family event. Call the Box office on 020 7638 8891 for details.
Please note that the number of Music Intro tickets available is limited by the capacity of the Fountain Room.
How to get there
- The nearest Underground station is Barbican, on the Circle, Metropolitan and Hammersmith & City lines.To reach the Barbican,exit the station and cross Aldersgate Street in front of you. Walk through the road tunnel (Beech Street) before taking the first turning right into Silk Street. The Barbican is straight ahead of you. Alternatively, exit the station using the stairs to the first floor, crossing the road using the footbridge before following the signs to the Barbican. Other Underground stations nearby are Moorgate, St Paul's, Bank, Liverpool Street and Mansion House.
- Bus Route 153 stops outside the Barbican in Silk Street. Starting from outside Liverpool Street Station, it runs daily to the Barbican, Angel and Finsbury Park. Other services running near the Barbican are as follows: 8, 11, 23, 26, 35, 42, 43, 47, 48, 55, 56, 76,78, 100, 133, 141, 149, 172, 214, 242, 243, 271, 344 (7 days a week); 4, (Mon-Sat); 21, 25, 521 (Mon-Fri).
- The nearest rail stations are Liverpool Street, Farringdon and Blackfriars. City Thameslink services serve Barbican, Moorgate and Cannon Street.
- The Barbican is clearly sign-posted and has four car parks. Two are off Beech Street (westbound access only) and two are off Silk Street near the main entrance. Please allow plenty of time for your journey. All car parks have a height restriction of 6'1". If the Barbican car parks are full, alternative parking is available in Aldersgate Street.
- The Main entrance at Silk Street is ramped and lifts give access to all levels. All our venues have seating for wheelchair users - please inform us of any access requirements on booking. There are three wheelchairs for visitors' use, subject to availability; these can be pre-booked by calling the Box Office on 020 7638 8891.