Stravinsky Ballet Celebrations
with the BBC Philharmonic
Friday 22 February 2013, 7.30pm
ROSSINI William Tell, Overture
PROKOFIEV Violin Concerto No. 2
STRAVINSKY The Firebird (complete)
Gianandrea Noseda conductor
James Ehnes violin
Virtuoso violinist James Ehnes in conversation.
With a burst of flame and a cascade of sparks, the magical Firebird leaps into life.
When Igor Stravinsky composed 'The Firebird', he didn't just imagine a world of enchanted princesses, courageous heroes and green-clawed demons, he let us hear it too, in some of the most ravishingly colourful music of the twentieth century.
Expect former BBC Philharmonic Chief Conductor Gianandrea Noseda to revel in Stravinsky's magical colours, as we continue to celebrate the composer's great ballet music.
Superb Canadian violinist James Ehnes performs Prokofiev's effervescent and lyrical Second Concerto and the programme begins with Rossini's thrilling overture to William Tell.
Families get special offers for this concert with Journey Through Music.
How to get there
- Metrolink tram passengers should alight at St Peter’s Square. Discounted Metrolink vouchers are available to purchase from the Box Office or online when you buy your concert tickets. The discounted fare is £3.00 adult and £1.50 child; vouchers are valid for unlimited travel from any Metrolink stop after 9.30am.
- The nearest bus stops for major routes into the city centre are St Peter’s Square, Portland Street or Deansgate.
- The nearest rail stations are Deansgate and Oxford Road.
- If travelling by car, please allow plenty of time for your journey. For satellite navigation, the Hall’s postcode is M2 3WS. The nearest car parks are Park Avenue, NCP Manchester Central (formerly G-Mex), NCP Great Northern or NCP Oxford Street. Manchester Central car park is linked directly to The Bridgewater Hall by an underpass beneath Lower Mosley Street.
- The Bridgewater Hall welcomes deaf and disabled patrons. If you have any specific access requirements please ask the Box Office on 0161 907 9000.