with the BBC Symphony Orchestra
Sunday 28 October 2012, 7pm
Barbican, Silk Street, London EC2Y 8DS
part of the BBC SO 2012-13 Season series
Sir Mark Elder conductor
Cast to include:
Joyce El-Khoury Antonina
Nicola Alaimo Belisario
Russell Thomas Alamiro
Camilla Roberts Irene
Alastair Miles Justinian
Julia Sporsén Eudora
Peter Hoare Eutropio
Edward Price Eusebio
Darren Jeffrey Centurion
Michael Bundy Ottario
Donizetti's neglected lyric opera traces the fortunes of the Byzantine General Belisario in a tragic story of treachery, mistaken identity and revenge. Sir Mark Elder conducts the BBC Symphony Orchestra, BBC Singers and a superb cast including Sicilian baritone Nicola Alaimo as Belisario, rising Canadian star Joyce El-Khoury as his vengeful wife Antonina, Camilla Roberts as his loyal daughter Irene and Russell Thomas as Irene's long-lost brother Alamiro.
Concert staging. Sung in Italian with English surtitles.
BBC SO Plus
Study Afternoon, 2.30-5.30pm, Mozart Room
An afternoon exploring Donizetti's opera
Free admission to ticket-holders for the evening concert. Limited capacity - please arrive early to avoid disappointment.
Co-produced by the BBC Symphony Orchestra and Opera Rara
How to get there
- The nearest Underground station is Barbican, on the Circle, Metropolitan and Hammersmith & City lines.To reach the Barbican,exit the station and cross Aldersgate Street in front of you. Walk through the road tunnel (Beech Street) before taking the first turning right into Silk Street. The Barbican is straight ahead of you. Alternatively, exit the station using the stairs to the first floor, crossing the road using the footbridge before following the signs to the Barbican. Other Underground stations nearby are Moorgate, St Paul's, Bank, Liverpool Street and Mansion House.
- Bus Route 153 stops outside the Barbican in Silk Street. Starting from outside Liverpool Street Station, it runs daily to the Barbican, Angel and Finsbury Park. Other services running near the Barbican are as follows: 8, 11, 23, 26, 35, 42, 43, 47, 48, 55, 56, 76,78, 100, 133, 141, 149, 172, 214, 242, 243, 271, 344 (7 days a week); 4, (Mon-Sat); 21, 25, 521 (Mon-Fri).
- The nearest rail stations are Liverpool Street, Farringdon and Blackfriars. City Thameslink services serve Barbican, Moorgate and Cannon Street.
- The Barbican is clearly sign-posted and has four car parks. Two are off Beech Street (westbound access only) and two are off Silk Street near the main entrance. Please allow plenty of time for your journey. All car parks have a height restriction of 6'1". If the Barbican car parks are full, alternative parking is available in Aldersgate Street.
- The Main entrance at Silk Street is ramped and lifts give access to all levels. All our venues have seating for wheelchair users - please inform us of any access requirements on booking. There are three wheelchairs for visitors' use, subject to availability; these can be pre-booked by calling the Box Office on 020 7638 8891.