Afternoon Performance: Shostakovich’s First Cello Concerto
with the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra
Thursday 09 February 2012, 2pm
City Halls, Candleriggs, Glasgow G1 1NQ
part of the Afternoon Performance series
Wilson St. Kentigern Suite (for string orchestra) (c.17')
Shostakovich Cello Concerto No.1 (c.27')
Borodin Symphony No.1 (c.34')
Nicolas Altstaedt cello (BBC Radio 3 New Generation Artist)
Martyn Brabbins conductor
BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra
Thomas Wilson's St. Kentigern Suite was first performed in Glasgow Cathedral in 1986 and draws inspiration from the City of Glasgow's Coat of Arms: each movement depicting one of the five miracles attributed to Glasgow's Patron Saint. Martyn Brabbins closes the afternoon with Borodin's First Symphony, composed when the composer was a full-time professor of chemistry. The composer's first work for orchestra is a fleet-footed orchestral showcase. BBC Radio 3 New Generation Artist Nicolas Altstaedt returns to play Shostakovich's spiky and technically demanding First Cello Concerto.
Tickets: £9.00 (unreserved seating) £7.00 if bought before the day.
This concert will be recorded for future broadcast on BBC Radio 3.
How to get there
- The nearest subway station is St Enoch, which is approximately a ten-minute walk from the venues.
- Many local service buses pass close by City Halls and the Old Fruitmarket, either along Trongate or Glassford Street. Most are operated by First Bus.
- Queen Street and Central Stations are a ten-minute walk from the venues. For information on rail travel within the UK, National Rail is the official source for all rail information, train times and timetables.
- On the M8 motorway, take junction 15, turn left onto Castle Street following signs for the Royal Infirmary/East Kilbride/A730. Castle Street becomes High Street and at the fourth set of traffic lights, turn right onto Ingram Street. Candleriggs is the second street on the left. The nearest car parks is the Q-Park on Albion Street which offers parking deals for our customers – call the box office on 0141 353 8000 for more details.
- The Grand Hall at City Halls is accessible to those with mobility difficulties. A lift from the Candleriggs entrance gives access to all levels. Our Concert Halls are fitted with infra-red assisted hearing systems which are specially designed for use in large auditoria. Please notify the Box Office when booking.