Copland, Chopin and Bernstein with Nobuyuki Tsujii
with the BBC Philharmonic
Saturday 03 March 2012, 7.30pm
COPLAND Appalachian Spring - suite
CHOPIN Piano Concerto No. 1
BERNSTEIN Prelude, Fugue and Riffs
BERNSTEIN West Side Story - Symphonic Dances
Yutaka Sado conductor
Nobuyuki Tsujii piano
Life, liberty and big, big tunes! Maybe it’s the raw energy, maybe it’s those swinging rhythms, maybe it’s the sense of ordinary folk doing extraordinary things, but there’s just something about American music – and whether we’re hearing the plain-speaking pioneers of Aaron Copland’s Appalachia, or the high-kicking hustlers of Leonard Bernstein’s New York, it’s unmistakable. 'Tis The Gift To Be Simple', 'Somewhere, 'Mambo!'…you already know how they go.
Join the BBC Philharmonic and conductor Yutaka Sado and share the American dream. As for Chopin’s dreamy First Piano Concerto; if you heard Nobuyuki Tsuji’s remarkable performances with us last season, you’ll already have experienced the magical way he communicates with an audience. Expect eloquence, expect fireworks, and expect some truly extraordinary chemistry as he tackles the most romantic concerto by the supreme keyboard poet.
This concert is part of Music Nation, a nationwide weekend of live events across the UK on 3 & 4 March 2012, forming part of the BBC's contribution to the London 2012 Festival and the Cultural Olympiad. For further information visit bbc.co.uk/musicnation.
Journey Through Music tickets are available for this concert.
Tickets also available from The Bridgewater Hall.
How to get there
- Metrolink tram passengers should alight at St Peter’s Square. Discounted Metrolink vouchers are available to purchase from the Box Office or online when you buy your concert tickets. The discounted fare is £3.00 adult and £1.50 child; vouchers are valid for unlimited travel from any Metrolink stop after 9.30am.
- The nearest bus stops for major routes into the city centre are St Peter’s Square, Portland Street or Deansgate.
- The nearest rail stations are Deansgate and Oxford Road.
- If travelling by car, please allow plenty of time for your journey. For satellite navigation, the Hall’s postcode is M2 3WS. The nearest car parks are Park Avenue, NCP Manchester Central (formerly G-Mex), NCP Great Northern or NCP Oxford Street. Manchester Central car park is linked directly to The Bridgewater Hall by an underpass beneath Lower Mosley Street.
- The Bridgewater Hall welcomes deaf and disabled patrons. If you have any specific access requirements please ask the Box Office on 0161 907 9000.