HK Gruber Presents...
with the BBC Philharmonic
Friday 02 December 2011, 7.30pm
IVES Three Places in New England
JOHN ADAMS My Father Knew Charles Ives
HK GRUBER Nebelsteinmusik (Violin Concerto No. 2)
VON EINEM Concerto for Orchestra
HK Gruber conductor
Olivier Charlier violin
Our charismatic Composer/Conductor HK 'Nali' Gruber talks about his teacher Gottfried von Einem.
In a New England town square, two marching bands collide in an explosion of sound. In a small-town front room, the teenage John Adams has a clarinet lesson, while a riverboat toots in the distance. Austrian original Gottfried von Einem strikes defiant sparks amidst the darkness of wartime Germany. And our very own HK “Nali” Gruber gropes through the mists of memory to bring it all together in a concert about friendships imagined and real, music heard and loved, and – above all – sounds like you’ve never heard before, played with breathtaking panache and heartfelt emotion.
The superb Olivier Charlier is the soloist in Gruber’s stunning violin concerto “Nebelsteinmusik”, while Nali himself takes the baton in a concert to ravish the ears and jump-start the imagination. Forget everything you thought you knew about 20th century music, grab a fresh set of ears, and enjoy.
Sonic Card tickets are available for this concert.
Tickets for this concert are also available from The Bridgewater Hall.
How to get there
- Metrolink tram passengers should alight at St Peter’s Square. Discounted Metrolink vouchers are available to purchase from the Box Office or online when you buy your concert tickets. The discounted fare is £3.00 adult and £1.50 child; vouchers are valid for unlimited travel from any Metrolink stop after 9.30am.
- The nearest bus stops for major routes into the city centre are St Peter’s Square, Portland Street or Deansgate.
- The nearest rail stations are Deansgate and Oxford Road.
- If travelling by car, please allow plenty of time for your journey. For satellite navigation, the Hall’s postcode is M2 3WS. The nearest car parks are Park Avenue, NCP Manchester Central (formerly G-Mex), NCP Great Northern or NCP Oxford Street. Manchester Central car park is linked directly to The Bridgewater Hall by an underpass beneath Lower Mosley Street.
- The Bridgewater Hall welcomes deaf and disabled patrons. If you have any specific access requirements please ask the Box Office on 0161 907 9000.