Bluebeard’s Castle (Cancelled)
with the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra
Thursday 08 December 2011, 7.30pm
City Halls, Candleriggs, Glasgow G1 1NQ
part of the The Year 1911 series
Tonight's concert has been cancelled due to City Halls being closed as a result of severe weather warnings
De Falla Suites 1 and 2 from ‘The Three-Cornered Hat' (c.23')
Bartók Duke Bluebeard's Castle - concert performance (sung in Hungarian, with surtitles in English) (c.70')
Sara Fulgoni Judith
Robert Bork Bluebeard
Josep Pons conductor
BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra
In his first appearance with the BBC SSO, distinguished Spanish conductor Josep Pons offers a dazzling visiting card in the shape of his great countryman Manuel de Falla's flamenco-inspired ballet The Three-Cornered Hat. After the sultry heat of an Andalusian village, Bartók's vivid retelling of the ancient tale of Bluebeard and his unfortunate wives takes us into an altogether darker, more ambiguous world. This gripping music-drama - yet another masterpiece from 1911 - moves from dark to light and back again, the dread secrets behind the castle's seven doors unforgettably revealed in Bartók's music.
Prelude: Please note, the Prelude at 6:45pm has been cancelled.
There will be no Coda after this concert.
This concert will be recorded for future broadcast on BBC Radio 3
How to get there
- The nearest subway station is St Enoch, which is approximately a ten-minute walk from the venues.
- Many local service buses pass close by City Halls and the Old Fruitmarket, either along Trongate or Glassford Street. Most are operated by First Bus.
- Queen Street and Central Stations are a ten-minute walk from the venues. For information on rail travel within the UK, National Rail is the official source for all rail information, train times and timetables.
- On the M8 motorway, take junction 15, turn left onto Castle Street following signs for the Royal Infirmary/East Kilbride/A730. Castle Street becomes High Street and at the fourth set of traffic lights, turn right onto Ingram Street. Candleriggs is the second street on the left. The nearest car parks is the Q-Park on Albion Street which offers parking deals for our customers – call the box office on 0141 353 8000 for more details.
- The Grand Hall at City Halls is accessible to those with mobility difficulties. A lift from the Candleriggs entrance gives access to all levels. Our Concert Halls are fitted with infra-red assisted hearing systems which are specially designed for use in large auditoria. Please notify the Box Office when booking.