Sibelius, Prokofiev and Stravinsky
with the BBC Symphony Orchestra
Friday 24 February 2012, 7.30pm
When Prokofiev played his First Piano Concerto at the St. Petersburg Conservatoire, he knew the professors would be dumbfounded at its brilliance. It still has that effect on audiences today. Stravinsky's Petrushka is equally astonishing and brightly coloured, though at the end it strikes a tragic note. Sibelius's Fourth Symphony also reduces people to silence, through the opposite method of stark, elemental simplicity.
Pre-concert talk, 6.00pm, Barbican Hall
An introduction to tonight's concert
Free to ticket-holders for the evening concert. Limited capacity - please arrive early to avoid disappointment.
BBC Family Music Intro, 6.00-7.00pm, Fountain Room
An introduction to concert-going for families with discounted tickets at £5 each (plus booking fee) and a free, pre-concert Meet the Musicians Family event. Call the Box Office on 020 7638 8891 for details.
Please note that the number of Music Intro tickets available is limited by the capacity of the Fountain Room. BBC Family Music Intro is suitable for groups including children aged 7 to 16.
How to get there
- The nearest Underground station is Barbican, on the Circle, Metropolitan and Hammersmith & City lines.To reach the Barbican,exit the station and cross Aldersgate Street in front of you. Walk through the road tunnel (Beech Street) before taking the first turning right into Silk Street. The Barbican is straight ahead of you. Alternatively, exit the station using the stairs to the first floor, crossing the road using the footbridge before following the signs to the Barbican. Other Underground stations nearby are Moorgate, St Paul's, Bank, Liverpool Street and Mansion House.
- Bus Route 153 stops outside the Barbican in Silk Street. Starting from outside Liverpool Street Station, it runs daily to the Barbican, Angel and Finsbury Park. Other services running near the Barbican are as follows: 8, 11, 23, 26, 35, 42, 43, 47, 48, 55, 56, 76,78, 100, 133, 141, 149, 172, 214, 242, 243, 271, 344 (7 days a week); 4, (Mon-Sat); 21, 25, 521 (Mon-Fri).
- The nearest rail stations are Liverpool Street, Farringdon and Blackfriars. City Thameslink services serve Barbican, Moorgate and Cannon Street.
- The Barbican is clearly sign-posted and has four car parks. Two are off Beech Street (westbound access only) and two are off Silk Street near the main entrance. Please allow plenty of time for your journey. All car parks have a height restriction of 6'1". If the Barbican car parks are full, alternative parking is available in Aldersgate Street.
- The Main entrance at Silk Street is ramped and lifts give access to all levels. All our venues have seating for wheelchair users - please inform us of any access requirements on booking. There are three wheelchairs for visitors' use, subject to availability; these can be pre-booked by calling the Box Office on 020 7638 8891.