with the BBC Concert Orchestra
Sunday 06 March 2011, 7pm
Hackney Empire, 291 Mare Street Hackney, London E8 1EJ
BBC Concert Orchestra
Grand Union Orchestra
BBC CO Fusion Group
Johannes Wildner conductor
A musical journey across borders....
A timeless journey across shifting sands and turbulent seas, Trading Roots explores a tapestry of sounds drawn from China to Africa tracing the path of traders and travellers along the ancient Silk Road.
Tony Haynes' new work The Golden Road, The Unforgiving Sea, commissioned by BBC Radio 3, ties the evening together. Mapping centuries of trade from ancient to modern times it follows the wonder faced by the first traders, ending in the shrunken, globalised world we live in today.
The evening includes a special performance from the BBC CO Fusion Group, an extraordinary multicultural collection of young musicians from London.
The Grand Union Orchestra itself combines well known jazz soloists, singers and leading musicians from all over the world. Together with Fusion Group and the BBC Concert Orchestra they celebrate a musican millennium of love, loss and lecagies.
How to get there
- Central Line to Bethnal Green, then 10 mins on 106 or 254 bus. Victoria Line to Highbury & Islington, then 30 or 277, or 7 mins on Overground to Hackney Central.
- Destination: Mare Street 30, 38, 48, 55, 106, 236 (24hr), 242 (24hr), 253, 254, 276, 277 (24hr), 394, D6, W15, N38, N55, N106, N253.
- London Overground from Richmond, Willesden Junction, West Hampstead, Camden Rd, Highbury & Islington, Stratford, West Ham, Canning Town to Hackney Central. one West Anglia from L’pool Street, Seven Sisters, Tottenham Hale, Walthamstow Central to Hackney Downs or London Fields. First Capital Connect - (Not weekends) from Moorgate, Finsbury Park and Highbury & Islington, then 30 or 277 bus or Silverlink.
- FREE PARKING: Tesco's, Morning Lane (after 6pm Mon - Sat), opposite the Empire. Customers are requested to collect permits from box office in person from 6pm on the day of performance. Not vouchers will be issued or sent out in advance. There are limited vouchers available and are issued on a first-come first-served basis. PLEASE NOTE: Tesco car park vouchers are not valid on Sundays. PAID PARKING: Amhurst Rd, near Hackney Central Station. 25 spaces at £1.20 an hour
- Concessions on tickets. Lift access to all levels of the house. Wheel Chair positions (please request a place when booking your tickets). Infra-red audio system. Disabled parking in Wilton Way. Disabled toliets on all levels High visability signage.