Hear and Now
with the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra
Saturday 07 May 2011, 7.30pm
Old Fruitmarket, Candleriggs, Glasgow G1 1NQ
Chris Duncan Twine (World Premiere)
Claire McCue Surge (World Premiere) (c.5')
Ilan Volkov conductor
Andrew Toovey Ubu's Journey (BBC Commission, World Premiere) (c.30')
(BBC Commission, World Premiere)
David Moss singer/percussion*
Ilan Volkov conductor
BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra
The Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama's new music workshop, MusicLab, joins forces with the BBC SSO in a distinctive collaboration which showcases two young composers whose music is fresh off the page. At the other end of the contemporary spectrum, leading German composer Helmut Oehring brings a unique work to the BBC SSO - POEndulum, a work for narrator and orchestra, based on the life and work of Edgar Allan Poe and written specifically for performance in the Old Fruitmarket. Andrew Toovey's large orchestral work took its starting point from some of the music in his first opera written in the early 1990s, called 'Ubu', based on the play by Alfred Jarry. The character Ubu takes a musical journey that takes many twists and turns exploring different styles and 'isms' of our musical landscape.
This concert will be recorded for BBC Radio 3's programme Hear and Now, to be broadcast on Saturday 21 May.
All tickets for this event have now been allocated; returns only. Information correct as at 04/05/11.
Nibbles from Plug
6.30pm Recital Rooms, City Halls
Free to ticket holders for BBC SSO's Hear and Now.
As part of the RSAMD's Plug festival, Whet your appetite for this evening's BBC SSO performance with some of the tastiest highlights from this year's festival.
How to get there
- The nearest subway station is St Enoch, which is approximately a ten-minute walk from the venues.
- Many local service buses pass close by City Halls and the Old Fruitmarket, either along Trongate or Glassford Street. Most are operated by First Bus.
- Queen Street and Central Stations are a ten-minute walk from the venues. For information on rail travel within the UK, National Rail is the official source for all rail information, train times and timetables.
- On the M8 motorway, take junction 15, turn left onto Castle Street following signs for the Royal Infirmary/East Kilbride/A730. Castle Street becomes High Street and at the fourth set of traffic lights, turn right onto Ingram Street. Candleriggs is the second street on the left.
- The Grand Hall at City Halls is accessible to those with mobility difficulties. A lift from the Candleriggs entrance gives access to all levels. The auditorium is equipped with an induction loop and an infra-red assisted hearing facility. Please notify the Box Office when booking.