Afternoon Performance – Britten and Dvořák
with the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra
Thursday 25 April 2013, 2pm
City Halls, Candleriggs, Glasgow G1 1NQ
part of the Afternoon Performance series
Osvaldo Golijov Last Round (1996) (c.14') (string orchestra)
Britten Simple Symphony, Op.4 (c.18') (string orchestra)
Interval (c.15 minutes)
Britten/Matthews Movements for a Clarinet Concerto (2007) (c.17') (devised and orchestrated by Colin Matthews) (Scottish Premiere)
Dvořák Symphony No.7 (c.38')
Olli Leppäniemi clarinet
Joshua Weilerstein conductor
BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra
As part of the Britten 100 celebrations, Joshua Weilerstein conducts the Simple Symphony and the composer's Movements for a Clarinet Concerto, inspired by the playing of American clarinettist Benny Goodman, but never completed. In 2007 Colin Matthews edited the available material and added additional movements constructed from two contemporary pieces written by Britten. The programme also includes Golijov's tribute to fellow Argentinian composer Ástor Piazzolla while Dvořák's darkly passionate Seventh Symphony brings the concert and the series to a stirring close.
The concert will be recorded for future broadcast on BBC Radio 3.
How to get there
- The nearest subway station is St Enoch, which is approximately a ten-minute walk from the venues.
- Many local service buses pass close by City Halls and the Old Fruitmarket, either along Trongate or Glassford Street. Most are operated by First Bus.
- Queen Street and Central Stations are a ten-minute walk from the venues. For information on rail travel within the UK, National Rail is the official source for all rail information, train times and timetables.
- On the M8 motorway, take junction 15, turn left onto Castle Street following signs for the Royal Infirmary/East Kilbride/A730. Castle Street becomes High Street and at the fourth set of traffic lights, turn right onto Ingram Street. Candleriggs is the second street on the left. The nearest car parks is the Q-Park on Albion Street which offers parking deals for our customers – call the box office on 0141 353 8000 for more details.
- The Grand Hall at City Halls is accessible to those with mobility difficulties. A lift from the Candleriggs entrance gives access to all levels. Our Concert Halls are fitted with infra-red assisted hearing systems which are specially designed for use in large auditoria. Please notify the Box Office when booking.