Mahler and Mozart
with the BBC Philharmonic
Friday 12 October 2012, 7.30pm
The Bridgewater Hall, Lower Mosley Street, Manchester M2 3WS
part of the 2012-13 Season series
MOZART Piano Concerto No. 19 K 459
MAHLER Symphony No. 5
Juanjo Mena conductor
Steven Osborne piano
"A symphony must be like the world", declared Gustav Mahler. "It must embrace everything!"
His tremendous Fifth Symphony does exactly that, as a sinister fanfare raises the curtain on a musical journey to remember; from chilling despair to roof-raising triumph, through winter storms and delirious waltzes. At the heart of it all is the exquisite Adagietto, Mahler's impassioned love letter to his young wife. It is a musical experience to touch the heart and shake the soul.
When Juanjo Mena and the BBC Philharmonic performed Mahler's Resurrection Symphony last year, The Times wrote that ‘the BBC Philharmonic...reached true glory in the finale, brilliantly navigated by Mena.'
The timeless grace of Mozart's Piano Concerto No. 19 completes the programme, performed by one of Britain's foremost musicians, Steven Osborne.
How to get there
- Metrolink tram passengers should alight at St Peter’s Square. Discounted Metrolink vouchers are available to purchase from the Box Office or online when you buy your concert tickets. The discounted fare is £3.00 adult and £1.50 child; vouchers are valid for unlimited travel from any Metrolink stop after 9.30am.
- The nearest bus stops for major routes into the city centre are St Peter’s Square, Portland Street or Deansgate.
- The nearest rail stations are Deansgate and Oxford Road.
- If travelling by car, please allow plenty of time for your journey. For satellite navigation, the Hall’s postcode is M2 3WS. The nearest car parks are Park Avenue, NCP Manchester Central (formerly G-Mex), NCP Great Northern or NCP Oxford Street. Manchester Central car park is linked directly to The Bridgewater Hall by an underpass beneath Lower Mosley Street.
- The Bridgewater Hall welcomes deaf and disabled patrons. If you have any specific access requirements please ask the Box Office on 0161 907 9000.